Orthodynamic Roundup
Mar 30, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #22,651 of 27,185
Lucky you have access to something like that. Use it while you can

Mar 31, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #22,652 of 27,185
Quote:
  it's really nice to see this thread staying upfront again, seemed to linger in the background for a while. I have a few projects in some drawers that need attending to( some yamaha drivers, russian drivers, even and SFI or two !), and after dragging out the AT-701 banded Alder SFIs again I need to hit those projects up.
hard to believe actually the sound you can get from these things in the right dampings and housing

Wish there were more people involved in this, absolutely love seeing things in the DIY area.{ where's all the new blood??? }

Any thoughts on a shell for those drivers Gurubhai?

TBH, I haven't had much luck with transplants or rather my 'stock shell' mods have turned out so well that its hard to extract that level of performance from anything else.

Generally speaking, I 'd avoid using open backed headphones/large chambers with most vintage orthos. They all need to be damped fairly hard to sound anyway near decent which negates any advantage that an open back may provide. I'd much rather have a vented, closed back headphone for the the better sub-bass that they can provide and if you manage the chamber well, it can sound just as open as any open-backed phone.

Also, while a large chamber may seem convenient to try a dozen different complex multilayer damping schemes, it just leads to endless experimentation(not a bad thing if just want to learn) and a simpler scheme in a more optimally sized shell almost always works better.
The other thing you might want to look if your drivers have some bass to spare to have a mechanism for leaking/mixing some of that backwave to the front. The traditional method has been to avoid any kind of mixing to preserve and maximise the bass. I am not a fan of that approach and prefer to allow some mixing since it provides better depth to soundstage and more air.
Most dynamic headphones have vents in the baffle for that purpose and you can plug/unplug them to tune the bass/air.

thanks, I know have that set of unused padauk from the original if you would like to tinker 

..dB

:) . I have a set of cheapo fake 'Beats Solo' on order from ebay. The cups seem to be similar to HP50 and I am hoping that I'd be able to get by with a similar mod for the yhe50 in this shell. Let's see if that works out first.

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #22,653 of 27,185
  :) . I have a set of cheapo fake 'Beats Solo' on order from ebay. The cups seem to be similar to HP50 and I am hoping that I'd be able to get by with a similar mod for the yhe50 in this shell. Let's see if that works out first.

That reminds me of another idea that I never got off the ground: get a Beats Studio and replace with small ortho drivers, then replace the ANC circuit with a small amp.

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #22,654 of 27,185

That reminds me of another idea that I never got off the ground: get a Beats Studio and replace with small ortho drivers, then replace the ANC circuit with a small amp.

Why bother sticking the amp in there, I'd rather use that cup space for damping...

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #22,655 of 27,185
  Why bother sticking the amp in there, I'd rather use that cup space for damping...

The Beats Studio frames actually have an odd shape to them. The drivers are contained within a small chamber inside the cup. Damping in the cup wouldn't do anything unless you cut out that inner chamber somehow.

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #22,656 of 27,185
Scared me there for a moment I thought you got started on that project. Was hoping you did.

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #22,657 of 27,185
I looked for a cheap shell a while ago but couldn't actually find one at a good price. I haven't really had the time for any new big projects in a while.

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #22,659 of 27,185
  For Yamaha orthos I think these are cool wooden cups if someone wants to do a transplant.
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.88.CLYYUR&id=26752556940

Dear God that's such a terrible design. "Here lets plaster one of the most resonant materials on the planet ALL OVER THE FRONT OF THE TRANSDUCER."

For that to even be close to good sounding you'd have to cut out or replace that entire baffle plate. 

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #22,661 of 27,185
  If you cut across the outermost circle of holes the driver should fit perfectly. Also closed wooden cups should work perfect.

A rotary tool would make very short work of that indeed.
Add a bit of a putty-like material around what's left to seal up the edges properly, and some speaker fabric directly to the driver ear-side,  and you've got an excellent start. 

Apr 3, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #22,662 of 27,185
Hello Ladies and Gents!

Looking for some help here.

I am pretty new to these forums so I am not allowed to post pics here directly, sorry for that.

Could any of you tell me the driver variation for my newly acquired NAD RP18 by looking at this pic I took of the y-splitter: Link

Cannot decide if it is the round or the round-rectangular one. I do not wish to open the baffle, my set is in factory conditon and I would like to keep it that way.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

szerecsen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back