Orthodynamic Roundup
Jan 2, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #12,932 of 27,180
The Beyer electrostat soon will go to MPI. So, it's time for a comparison.
To my ears, through the EMU-0404USB and ROTEL RX-420, they both have a similar signature. It's the same kind of sound. They are also different. The LCD-1 wins at it's own game, and resolves more of the higher frequency sound. But the Beyer does somewhat more impactful bass.

It's impossible for me to declare an all-out winner. But a compromise would be awesome, with the Beyer amount of bass, with the LCD-1 high frequency resolution. The LCD-1 does lack a bit of bass impact. Perhaps this is where we have the new magnetostats? Or newer stats that I haven't had the pleasure to listen to?

If I had to make a choice (which I can't since the Beyer isn't mine...) then I'd still pick the LCD-1. The higher resolution of the little details is more often more enjoyable with the music I listen to than the somewhat more impactful bass of the Beyer.

Jan 2, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #12,933 of 27,180
Thanks very much for the comparison! I think it will be a welcome addition to the stable, since I wouldn't call any of my electrostats' bass impactful.

250 is actually a pretty decent amount for an SS-100 based on the going rate, with the only other auction I remember seeing going to over 300. There are apparently quite a few Sansui collectors out there.

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #12,934 of 27,180
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
250 is actually a pretty decent amount for an SS-100 based on the going rate, with the only other auction I remember seeing going to over 300. There are apparently quite a few Sansui collectors out there.

I agree
smily_headphones1.gif
. The headphones are really very good. I actually don't know why they are kind of disregarded here. IMHO this is most unique (I don't mean rare!
smile.gif
) Fostex product.
Last year was really good for Sansui SS-100 hunters, AFAIR this was 6th ebay auction in 2009. Something tells me that this year won't be so good
wink_face.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #12,935 of 27,180
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bet performance audio won't ship to europe.... but I'll have a look. Thanks.

Maybe not, but I do. Just LMK know which size, what color, and how many feet, then as long as you cover my costs for shipping via USPS Priority Flat Rate, I can get it to you...

I'm going Neutrik 4-pin XLRs on all my headphones and making (3) 4-pin to Vampire 1/4" TRS adapters. So I need to order the Neutriks, Mogami speaker wire, PowerCons, and SpeakOns from Perf. Audio...

Jan 5, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #12,939 of 27,180
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are pickering headphones and the pads seem to be "dented."

Your doing a foster phone, so you can either try to warm the pad and rework it to remove the dent, open the seam and insert new fill, or just pad roll while your at it with R10, HD25, or ESW9 pads. Heck, you can make pad adapters and open up many other pads.

Jan 5, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #12,940 of 27,180
hi guys, yesterday my nu cans came...
now look what's in the house...

1539u9w.jpg

ye2og.jpg

30acfgg.jpg

2ikrwi8.jpg

with my Dual Mono CMOY...

2gwfgu8.jpg

with my portable DIYamp...

mjaeew.jpg

2uz2ufs.jpg

picts of my son using it, for the new avatar... :p

yep, it's a Fostex T20RP a.k.a T20v2... :headphones:

impression ?
very huge sound, as good as YH100 & YHD3...
i like it sooo much, even still on stock form...
happy_face1.gif

time to update my siggy...
wink.gif

Jan 5, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #12,943 of 27,180
Thanks for the advice on the leather pads.. SFI attempt #2 hopefully commencing soon. If I could just sell my speakers I would be working on a moldable plastic ear cup design

That little kid is probably pretty awesome

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #12,944 of 27,180
GREAT photo of your son, IQEM! I only wish my sons were that excited about audio.

Very glad to hear both that you got a T20v2 in what looks like excellent condition, and that you enjoy it already. There's plenty of performance built into the T20v2; have fun with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back