Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 28, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #10,321 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by fsma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
awwh person, I would have paid the 1$ more.....i hate ebay lol

Tell me about it. I hate when that happens and it also recently happened to me (sort of
wink.gif
). I don't know of any other place to somewhat easily find rare, obscure stuff, though.

I'm thinking about just giving up on collecting vintage rare beasties, selling them all and just buying an O2 MkI or 4070, though. It would make things so much easier.

Apr 28, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #10,322 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking about just giving up on collecting vintage rare beasties, selling them all and just buying an O2 MkI or 4070, though. It would make things so much easier.

Why not? Buying cheap things isn't always cheaper. Well, I know a thread to repost my reply to
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #10,323 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis

Can't argue against simplicity. Keep the bassiest ortho/iso you've got and just tinker with it over the next decade or so. Fo shizzle, buying the O2 would make your wallet and your headphone-life a lot more simple.

Apr 28, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #10,324 of 27,137
I've probably spent an O2Mk1 amount of money on headphones so far. Maybe not including the price of a good amp.

But it wouldn't have been as much fun to just jump right to it. Some of us enjoy the hunt, and some of us get added pleasure from finding the Really Great Deal.

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #10,325 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't argue against simplicity. Keep the bassiest ortho/iso you've got and just tinker with it over the next decade or so. Fo shizzle, buying the O2 would make your wallet and your headphone-life a lot more simple.

That would actually be my T20v2. I'll definitely be keeping the T20v2 and T40v1 no matter what since it just doesn't make sense to sell them. And I'm still shooting for a bassy large-driver ortho to complement whatever it is I'll have in the 'stat department. I must say, all these pics that have been posted of the diaphragms on the large-driver orthos are major eye candy to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've probably spent an O2Mk1 amount of money on headphones so far. Maybe not including the price of a good amp.

But it wouldn't have been as much fun to just jump right to it. Some of us enjoy the hunt, and some of us get added pleasure from finding the Really Great Deal.

You could definitely make enough selling a few of those orthos and 'stats, since they go for so much nowadays.

The hunt is too time consuming and nerve-wracking for my tastes, although getting a great deal every now and then certainly feels good. I kind of want to just sit back, enjoy the music and not have to worry about if there's something better out there. Well, actually, there is for me, in the form of the SR-Omega, but it's also rarer and much more expensive.

In true Great Deal fashion, with a bit of DIY work mixed in, I'm hopefully getting a Gamma Pro with one driver in need of repair soon. I'll need to disassemble, tension, and reglue part of the diaphragm. Hopefully it won't be too big of a job and I'll take some pics and post them here if people want. Anyone have ideas on the best glue for the job?

Apr 29, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #10,326 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You could also just do what I did, start off with the O2 Mk1 and then buy all the headphones you want.
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #10,327 of 27,137
So, I received my pair of YH1s today.

So far the impression is good. Very smooth vocals, working very well with my Jazz music collection. Soundstage doesn't quiet compare with my Pro 900, but then few things do
tongue.gif
Could do with improved "spacing" between instruments though.

I feel like I'm listening to double whipped cream. I can't think of a better analogy for how damn smooth they are. There' no one particular stand out; It all seems to balance out very nicely.

Apr 29, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #10,328 of 27,137
Hey, good move, and I hope you didn't pay outrageous coin for the YH-1. Let us know if you decide to damp them. Damping won't increase the width of the headstage, but it will help in separating instruments in the mix.

Apr 29, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #10,329 of 27,137
OT, but my AKG collection is growing. My K601s now have the company of cetoole's K240 Sextetts and rythmdevils K140 and K141 are on their way to me as well. Since rd's K140 was a sealed cup, I grabbed a vented K140 for comparison too. So the AKG collection has grown to 5. Now all I really want is a K400/401 as I don't expect to find anyone who wants to trade a Grado RS-1 and cash for a K1000.
tongue_smile.gif

Tried listening to the T50RPs again last night. They definitely need to go under the knife and be moved to wood cups in the hopes of discovering some lower octaves. Going to follow Smeggy's lead with dual vents and go from there...

Apr 29, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #10,331 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could also just do what I did, start off with the O2 Mk1 and then buy all the headphones you want.
tongue.gif

But you ended up selling pretty much everything but the O2 MkI, so I guess you're back where you started.
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by iQEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's funny cos' i'm going to let go my K400, is this for real ? a coincidence perhaps ?
biggrin.gif

So I take it you definitely think your orthos are superior to the K400 now?

Apr 29, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #10,333 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by iQEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's funny cos' i'm going to let go my K400, is this for real ? a coincidence perhaps ?
biggrin.gif

Yes, I'm serious. I want a K400/401 for my AKG collection. I have my orthos and will be starting my SFI experiments shortly, but I do plan to keep my dynamics too. Different horses for different courses. Send me a PM and tell me how much you want for them in US $...

Apr 29, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #10,334 of 27,137
The new pads on the Dual that do not block the driver at all is a very nice improvement. I have done some listening now and the closed-in feeling that I did not quite manage to fix with damping is all gone. Now I think I could reduce the damping a bit and see if it returns.

Apr 29, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #10,335 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new pads on the Dual that do not block the driver at all is a very nice improvement. I have done some listening now and the closed-in feeling that I did not quite manage to fix with damping is all gone.

Very interesting. My guess has been that making a driver "see" a volume that's larger in diameter than itself makes bass dissipate... as we've seen with big-volume-earcup transplants. Going the other way, funneling the driver's output down to a diameter smaller than itself makes bass increase (though over what range of frequencies I'm not sure yet). Again, this is just a hypothesis, a guess, but DAC's results, and some results in the transatlantic pipeline from Kabeer and his NAD, are pulling me in that direction.

This is the idea behind the socalled "bass lens", though whether it has anything to do with Sony's free-space implementation that F2D showed us, I dunno. It means you can un-lens a headphone as a way to control overwhelming bass. This may be the way to more easily tame monsters like the T30, though I'd say we need a headphone Harry F. Olson to run the experiments with different percentage enlargement/reductions in driver-to-earpad-hole diameters to really nail down the effect. Olson is famous for, among other things, his study of cabinet diffraction effects in loudspeakers. He tested just about every crazy cabinet shape you can think of, practical or not. The headphone world needs someone like him, because we know that these things have an effect, sometimes a big effect. Earpad thickness, earpad "bore" or aperture (as a ratio of driver diameter), earpad density, outer diameter, .... Yes, it's a Brave New Earpad World.

Strangely, the only company that comes to mind as one who's given the topic a lot of thought over the decades is... Koss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back