Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 27, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #10,306 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know there are some loons here who get a kick out of wierd stuff Haloobabooba!!:

That headphone is just the kind of poster-loon (cf. poster boy) material that makes me want to tell all you young scenesters Be Glad, Be Very Glad You Weren't Alive Then.

Good transcription of a loon call, by the way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be careful with that device.

Yes. Don't point it at me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS
So does it means [the new T50RP, aka the T50RP v2 or T50RPn] has better SQ than others within the line?

I looked into the FOSTEX Japan site and found T20RPmkIIn and T40RPmkIIn?

Are they any differences?

So far we strongly suspect that the new-earpad T40RP mk II ( = T40RP mk IIn ) doesn't sound as good as the T50RPn. As of right now I don't think anyone has the latest T40RP and T50RP to compare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj
and US resellers don't use the new nomenclature

Fostex USA is ever confusing and confounding us.

Quote:

As some of you may recall, i was NOT happy with the sound of the Akai ASE-50...

As you can see, the electrical connection is mechanical in nature.

..the Akai diaphragm is quite thin and actually tensioned like a drum -
It's pictured laying on top of a pair of DuPont Sontara EC Creped Blue Wipes.
They're... thinner than any fabric i've ever used for damping.

I may take these to work this week to see if i can find other faults in the sound signature, but as of now i can finally listen to them without cringing.

Wow, interesting stuff, possibly useful for other "tight"-diaphragm 'phones.
Also interesting: so far, only Akai and Technics have used quick-change diaphragms that were connected to their lead wires strictly by pressure.

That Sontara stuff looks promising, especially for those 'phones with little space for damping material.

I look forward to reading results of your workplace torture test.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is now an YH-5M users manual on the wikiphonia. The drawings reveal that it is a confusing headphone.

The YH-5M is a deeply troubled headphone. It's also the only known ortho other than the TOTL Fostex to use samarium cobalt magnets.

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #10,307 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also interesting: so far, only Akai and Technics have used quick-change diaphragms that were connected to their lead wires strictly by pressure.

Yes, that is interesting. I wonder if Technics was the actual manufacturer of the ASE-50, and the other Akai orthos, and the other japanese orthos that look strikingly similar to them.

I mean, there are the design similarities, and then there's the rings that say "Linear Drive Dynamic Headphones" . . . did we ever learn if Linear Drive was an (R)(TM) of Matsu****a Heavy Industries?

Quote:

That Sontara stuff looks promising, especially for those 'phones with little space for damping material.

I look forward to reading results of your workplace torture test.

Yeah, I wonder where it can be had for cheap. I mean aside from me mailing out sheets of the stuff from my stack of 100. Most resellers of the sontara fabric stress how economical it is - and i suppose, granted that i can degrease a bowling ball with one of them (with solvents) about a dozen times with one before throwing it out, I guess that's objectively true in some sense.

The 'creped' version i have is probably specifically for cleaning up messes. Has ripples in it - which get squished flat by foam. A non-creped version like the 'aircraft wipes' would probably work as well or better.

I've traded a DAP for an HP-50A (or was it an S?) and will probably try Sontara in that too. Though i really should try viva paper towels, just because it would be the cheapest ever.

Edit: But yeah, the inside of the ASE-50 is so thin that the grille digs into the sontara around the edges. There's no good way to completely cover the back of the driver with a regular felt. Also, I was initially annoyed that they'd glued in their damping pad (which was both too dense and too loose), but after having these open a bunch of times i got tired of the layers of fabric moving around and stuck them down t the edges with doubletape.

Apr 27, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #10,308 of 27,137
Quote:

I wonder if Technics was the actual manufacturer of the ASE-50... I mean, there are the design similarities, and then there's the rings that say "Linear Drive Dynamic Headphones" . . . did we ever learn if Linear Drive was an (R)(TM) of Matsuszhitsu Heavy Industries?

It's fun to speculate. Though the Akai doesn't resemble the Technics 810/20/30 cosmetically, there is the lead attachment similarity, the serpentine voice coil layout and that "linear drive" phrase that was used in the AES paper.

And if not Technics, who?

Quote:

I wonder where it can be had for cheap.

Amazon sells a sampler kit for $20, but I'll bet there are cheaper ones. I'm trying to track down a retailer of the airplane wipes.

Quote:

I've will probably try Sontara in [an HP-50] too. Though i really should try viva paper towels, just because it would be the cheapest ever.

I'm still waiting for someone to try ironed-flat dryer lint.

Apr 27, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #10,309 of 27,137
Quote:

It's fun to speculate. Though the Akai doesn't resemble the Technics 810/20/30 cosmetically, there is the lead attachment similarity, the serpentine voice coil layout and that "linear drive" phrase that was used in the AES paper.

And if not Technics, who?

The smallness and spacing of the holes in the magnets reminded me of an EAH-830. The low clamp and low weight, otoh, not so much.

Quote:

Amazon sells a sampler kit for $20, but I'll bet there are cheaper ones. I'm trying to track down a retailer of the airplane wipes.

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....roduct_ID=5479

Pack of 25 16"x9" aerospace wipes for $7.

For a blue sontara wipe that's probably real similar to what i used, Trimaco "One Tuff" paint wipes may be available in local hardware stores / paint stores:

http://interstore.com/product/199-39....html?ref=base

Quote:

I'm still waiting for someone to try ironed-flat dryer lint.

I think Inkmo almost tried that for his T40.

Apr 27, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #10,310 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was thinking of removing the stock pad on the T30, but i figured sliding in a foam donut would be enough to stop it from acting like a reverse reflex disc.

Quote:

Thanks for the tip
darthsmile.gif
. It pretty much works, I woulnt have thought about it like that.

success!
hopefully other T50 and T30 owners will try this out to prove the theory. it also brings along some much needed comfort, so whats not to like?
beerchug.gif

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #10,311 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The smallness and spacing of the holes in the magnets reminded me of an EAH-830. The low clamp and low weight, otoh, not so much.

Dupont Sontara Window Wipes (Pack of 25) - Sporty's Pilot Shop

Pack of 25 16"x9" aerospace wipes for $7.

For a blue sontara wipe that's probably real similar to what i used, Trimaco "One Tuff" paint wipes may be available in local hardware stores / paint stores:

Buy Trimaco #84075 75PK Paint Wiping Cloth, Home & Garden, Other, All at InterStore.com

I think Inkmo almost tried that for his T40.

Awesome. Thanks Eric. I need to damp a set of K240 Sextetts and there isn't much room. Would you say the dampening properties of the sontara are similar to the purple felt or closer to Smeggy's thick felt?

Apr 27, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #10,312 of 27,137
I honestly don't know, as i don't think i have either of those felts.

At the moment i don't have a direct comparison to the two major grades of felt i typically use, either. Except to say that it's quite dense.

Apr 27, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #10,314 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by yoginasser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
batch3005.jpg

Thank you again dBel
beerchug.gif
This cable ROCKS.
Mechanically this Canare cable is perfect,handling its 13' length is no problem whatsoever.It also seems to have increased sound stage which never hurts
smile_phones.gif

The plug is Dayton BTW

Nice cable, keeping the retro vibe

Apr 27, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #10,315 of 27,137
Pinch-type drivers are a whole other ball of wax. The PMB and Yamaha drivers have a clamp at the center and a clamp at the outside as well, and the surface is shaped like a series of ripples in a pond.

The 'tension' of this style of driver is largely a function of how stiff the plastic is.

Most of the 'dome' type drivers - certainly all those from fostex - are just sort of laid into their clamps. The little SFI style drivers are embossed with little dimples that further extend their excursion.

The Akai drivers have a membrane that was stretched tight before being glued to it's mounting ring. Tight like a drum.

Apr 27, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #10,316 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 'tension' of this style of driver is largely a function of how stiff the plastic is.

Nothing much to do about that then... back to the damping efforts instead!

With the Dual, I have just tried an idea that Kabeer had. He though that the pads might block / reflect treble, since they extended 5mm inwards, blocking the driver.

I made some quick-pads of leather and foam, to test it. I used thin springy foam to get a good seal while not adding any distance. The treble is much more present now. I'm now listening to hear if something bad happened as well. Maybe bass leaks out (or in) since I have only one layer of leather.

Apr 28, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #10,320 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by fsma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was me outbidding you up to the 60$ mark. hehe. awwh person, I would have paid the 1$ more.....i hate ebay lol

hueheheheheee...
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Dont worry you'll get one eventually! That one had iffy looking pads anyway.

thx mate, well let the search goes on...
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back