Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 30, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #10,351 of 27,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any thoughts?

I am inclined to advise you with the latest T50 trend. How are the pads? Are the sealing? And how is the hole? Does it block any of the baffle grille?

Depending on your answers, Id say go with getting very sealing circumaural pads, BUT only one with a holes thats just ear sized, not a large cavern like a K240 or beyerpads (which will just make a muddy mess of everything).

This will make sure you retain as much deep bass as possible. And by furthering your ear from the driver with this small chamber you should slightly tame the midrange and bring out the trebles. (you might also find that if you do this and its succesful, that going with fairly light damping is the best bet)

Apr 30, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #10,352 of 27,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj
They sound really pretty good when turned up, not so great at a low volume.

A good endorsement of the "play it soft" test for flatness.

Quote:

i had the whole outer two rings of holes in the back magnet sealed off, and the honk was astounding. So, any further tweak must not go in that direction.

I love that line, "The honk was astounding". I don't know why and I don't care. "There was a honk you could cut with a knife".

I wonder if covering the same number of square millimeters with a different shape (a dot rather than a ring) would honk the same.

Quote:

A superdense donut like F2D used on his T20v2 (which was what the factory had installed in cardboard form originally) is right out.

Eh? Factory cardboard rings/donuts in the T20v2? I missed that one.

Quote:

Maybe what i should do here is enhance the bass by installing a ring of medium-density felt that just covers the outer third or so of the driver?

Yes, try "lenses" of differing density. Should prove interesting.

Apr 30, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #10,353 of 27,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There was no cardboard rings in my T20V2 only foam, I think there was one in Akai. My mod for T20v2 was this:

T20ModdV2.2.jpg

I am very happy with the results, my T20v2 sounds great. I think JPak liked it a lot as well.

Apr 30, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #10,354 of 27,141
Quote:

I love that line, "The honk was astounding". I don't know why and I don't care. "There was a honk you could cut with a knife".

Heh. Well, the stock Akai ASE-50 sound is boomy + sparkly with midrange that is not recessed, but has such a nose on it as to defy belief. Even pianos sounded honk-ey.

They had a ring of cardboard in the back installed at the factory. Peeling most of it out reduced the boom and the sparkle but the honk remained.

With the paper carved out of the holes (which was quite tedious - anyone recommend a solvent for PVA?) the honk and boom are gone, and the sparkle peters out above 12khz.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
I wonder if covering the same number of square millimeters with a different shape (a dot rather than a ring) would honk the same.

I'm inclined to believe that it wouldn't. I think the odd forward baffle arrangement - with the driver in a recess with a fabric mesh out in front of it by a couple mm - potentially increases the effect.

And yes, kabeer, the earpad aperature is smaller than the forward magnet aperature, but i think no pad exists that would fit on the baffle (which has a lip on the outside edge) and not cover some portion of the driver. We're talking about a pad with a 3.5in OD and a 2.75in ID here - it doesn't exist and it wouldn't be comfortable. And probably wouldn't seal at all. The factory Akai pads are similar to a T30 or SR-X. And in very good condition.

I'm open to the concept of a pad that's thicker and has a larger aperature. I might even try and find one.

Quote:

Should have been more clear - the back of the akai has a cardboard lens in the factory configuraiton.

Quote:

Yes, try "lenses" of differing density. Should prove interesting.

And I've realized that i have some little donuts of fiberglass from the quadraflex. I wonder what they would do . . .

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #10,355 of 27,141
Quote:

..anyone recommend a solvent for PVA?

Water?

Since the Akai is such a "tight" driver, I too would be interested in what the fiber cookies from the ol' Quadraflex would do.

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #10,356 of 27,141
Quote:

Water?

Since the Akai is such a "tight" driver, I too would be interested in what the fiber cookies from the ol' Quadraflex would do.

I'm afraid i might cause the steel plate on the back of the magnet to corrode if i just soaked it in water.

I guess i could soak it in distilled water, clean off the paper and glue, rinse it again, and then carefully dry it - like in the sun or something. Now that it's getting warm again.

And really, tight is tight. If you hold a T50 diaphragm by the phenolic and tap the edge on the table, it goes "tap".

Do the same with an ASE-50 diaphragm and it goes "Bong!"

Apr 30, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #10,357 of 27,141
It would be interesting to connect the diaphragm of the Akai to a microphone input and really hear the BONG. What we'd be hearing, of course, is the slightly air-damped main resonance of that diaphragm. One of you computa jockeys could then whip up an algorithm to subtract this resonance from any input. Easy, right?

May 2, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #10,359 of 27,141
T20v2 (and v1) pads have been out of stock for about a year now. I checked today because i was curious if some head-fier would buy that pair and get stuck.

I can send you a pair of pads that are in mediocre condition - the pleather is starting to flake but it's doing it in a weird way where it's still stuck to the fabric so the effect is a bit like reptile scales (and less like dry cracked mud, if you were wondering). Except softer and stickier. They're not terrible but they inspired me to buy new pads from fostex, back when one could do that.

May 2, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #10,360 of 27,141
I had to take the ID2 driver apart in order to try and fix it and took a few pics while I was at it - tightly "strung" diaphragm along the lines of what ericj described earlier. Makes a good mini tom drum.

Picture182.jpg

Picture183.jpg

I also managed to get some decent bass from these drivers ( well drivers like these
wink.gif
- I have the Leak in hand too ) ..dB

May 2, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #10,361 of 27,141
Is it just me, or does the YH1 take quiet a bit of juice to sound good?

They seem to sound fantastic out of my Zero, but when I use them with my mini3 + iRiver H332 combo (which drives my Pro 900 fine), they sound quiet hollow and muddy....

May 2, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #10,363 of 27,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They seem to sound fantastic out of my Zero, but when I use them with my mini3 + iRiver H332 combo (which drives my Pro 900 fine), they sound quiet hollow and muddy....

I havent tried it with the YH1, but with the other similar Yamaha's, I find the mini3 has pretty much enough juice. In fact I found that using the Pico amp it was a little blurry sounding, but with the mini3 there was more slam, definition, it just felt more there.
Hmm wonder how much Zero is than the mini3...

May 2, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #10,365 of 27,141
Quote:

T20v2 (and v1) pads have been out of stock for about a year now. I checked today because i was curious if some head-fier would buy that pair and get stuck.

Great, YGPM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back