Orthodynamic Roundup
Aug 9, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #4,171 of 27,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've pondered that myself. Could there have been some set of rules they thought they had followed to the letter? Did they do some math, put them together, say "Oh, i thought it would be better", and then sell them anyway?

The fact that they get less sensitive when they're damped harder can't fully explain it.

You almost get the impression that nobody really experimented to find out what they could do. So much promise but for a little effort and plain old curiosity.

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #4,172 of 27,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ericj pointed out that my SFI needs quite hard damping, significantly more than I've been trying or even what I thought was possible before the whole thing collapsed in a heap, so last night I went full-bore and really damped the crap out of them - hard! Needless to say, Erics more experienced ears were correct. I'm not sure how to preserve this sound in a housing yet but...damn!!

Can you take a pic of the damping layers you used? I don't like my SFIs too much, and I sure managed to overdamp them most of the time.

Aug 9, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #4,173 of 27,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you take a pic of the damping layers you used? I don't like my SFIs too much, and I sure managed to overdamp them most of the time.

They're currently inside cups. The damping..

First I pulled the cloth off the back of the drivers and flattened the lip.
Then I squirted glue on a board and dipped the driver back in it
Next I pressed a piece of the super dense thin felt to the driver.
Glues on of the small wood plugs over the felt.
Added a ring of the thick wool felt around the plug, over the thin felt, glued at the outside and inside only.

It's a bit sharp in places but incredible detail, speed and depth provided you can keep the driver very close to the earhole otherwise you lose bass and the treble becomes overwhelming. It's a razor edge balance. Fitted correctly they sound phenomenal, poorly fitted it can prove painfully piercing. The extreme detail is there almost to the point of distraction.

I'm going to try without the plug to see if the treble calms down a bit. Man, they really snap!

*edit*
Just found a nice way to reduce the upper end by putting a pad of the thin dense felt on the front of the driver, acts as a very neutral progressive treble filter and has balanced the sound quite nicely while keeping the rest of the spectrum in tact. Sweet.

Aug 9, 2008 at 9:22 AM Post #4,174 of 27,177
since my floats and sfi are closing in, i guess its time to ask for feedback on my idea.

i was thinking of mounting two sfi pers side, glued to the metal grill, with a piece of leatherette or something blocking the baffle, and pmb500 style earpads (homemade i guess).

my.php
[/url][/IMG]

would different damping of the top and bottom driver work well with the sfi (like the pmb 85 DA), or would two similarly dampened drivers work better?

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #4,175 of 27,177
Hopefully you'll have better success than I did with duals. I think I'd probably damp them the same and keep the drivers as close to each other a possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
since my floats and sfi are closing in, i guess its time to ask for feedback on my idea.

i was thinking of mounting two sfi pers side, glued to the metal grill, with a piece of leatherette or something blocking the baffle, and pmb500 style earpads (homemade i guess).

my.php
[/url][/IMG]

would different damping of the top and bottom driver work well with the sfi (like the pmb 85 DA), or would two similarly dampened drivers work better?

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #4,176 of 27,177
Portable orthos

portable_orthos.jpg

My overpriced HP-50 from Singapore (I also had to pay customs duties on top of their already exhorbitant price). They seem to be halfway between my HP-3 and Kabeer's HP-50, so maybe it' s a quality control issue and not a real difference in the drivers. Expensive, but in their mint original box, and in perfect shape. Oh, and of course the baffles of the single entry 50s are different from the dual entry 3s and 50s.

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #4,177 of 27,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*edit*
Just found a nice way to reduce the upper end by putting a pad of the thin dense felt on the front of the driver, acts as a very neutral progressive treble filter and has balanced the sound quite nicely while keeping the rest of the spectrum in tact. Sweet.

I tried this as well. I was happy with the alteration at first (first few days), but then after going back to an unobstructed frontwave (virtually unobstructed, I guess, I still do sometimes cover the driver/ear chamber with speaker cloth or women's stockings) I dropped it 'cause it just sounded so muddy and blurry in comparison. What kind of felt are you using? I'd imagine it must be pretty low in density or very thin?

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #4,178 of 27,177
Quote:

Portable orthos

portable_orthos.jpg

My overpriced HP-50 from Singapore (I also had to pay customs duties on top of their already exhorbitant price). They seem to be halfway between my HP-3 and Kabeer's HP-50, so maybe it' s a quality control issue and not a real difference in the drivers. Expensive, but in their mint original box, and in perfect shape. Oh, and of course the baffles of the single entry 50s are different from the dual entry 3s and 50s.

Nice! I kind like the off-white color and brow headband. I had a listen to Pro 30 that came in today. Are they back to stock at this point, including the damping? The sound is similar to ATH-2, but much better as I remember from trying FVs modded pair. We need ortho smilies or something stupid like this
loshad.gif
overlord.gif
pinkieone.gif
blocks_of_smiley.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #4,179 of 27,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's another T20v2 coming up, so set your phasers to "kill".

Blech. I couldn't bid on the first one or the YHE-50S and I won't be able to get this either I think. I've not been to the bank for two weeks
frown.gif
. I guess I'll ask the seller how patient he is about payment...

Still have the YH-100 (still not out to Smeggy!) and ET-1000 (which I've grown to like a great deal), so I guess I can't complain. I adore my EP Sextett as well
very_evil_smiley.gif

Missed a signet TK22 too, or did I dodge a bullet? It's just dynamic right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We need ortho smilies or something stupid like this
loshad.gif
overlord.gif
pinkieone.gif
blocks_of_smiley.gif

smiley_ebay_new.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #4,180 of 27,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice! I kind like the off-white color and brow headband. I had a listen to Pro 30 that came in today. Are they back to stock at this point, including the damping? The sound is similar to ATH-2, but much better as I remember from trying FVs modded pair.

No they're not stock, they have my latest (and last since you have them now) damping try. They did not sound bad when I tried them before shipping to you, but somehow I never got to like them. Same thing for the SFIs, my hybrids are not bad but I think it's not my sound.

Did you check the right (or was it the left) earpad? Where there's a slight discoloration?

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #4,183 of 27,177
Quote:

No they're not stock, they have my latest (and last since you have them now) damping try. They did not sound bad when I tried them before shipping to you, but somehow I never got to like them. Same thing for the SFIs, my hybrids are not bad but I think it's not my sound.

Did you check the right (or was it the left) earpad? Where there's a slight discoloration?

Yeah, I saw the discoloration, not a big deal. I will need to add some reflex dot or disc thing to them as there is not a lot of HF for my taste.
096.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #4,185 of 27,177
A question about Pro 30. Is there a headband pad that Koss or Sennheiser makes that I can glue to the bottom of the headband? That plastic thing is not very comfortable for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back