Orthodynamic Roundup
Aug 8, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #4,156 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More evidence that no matter how often we tell people that the middle-years fostexen are good, nobody ever believes us and they just keep jonesing for something designed by mario bellini.

...or that the majority of the ortho fans live outside the US
icon10.gif

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #4,157 of 27,171
Well in your case, you should have told F2D to snipe it for you.

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #4,158 of 27,171
I'm not sure how I missed them, I would have had a go myself but for some reason my ebay search set up never turned them up. Ludoo had mentioned he was watching a few pairs and I naturally assumed they were on the east shores. I do hope an ortho lover ended up with them
bigsmile_face.gif
..dB

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #4,159 of 27,171
Nothing escapes the eyes of my search robot.

But in the last few weeks i haven't seen much of my search robot. it's web interface is broken so i can't monitor it remotely, and ebay now does 'fuzzy' searches so that where before if you searched for fostexen and there were no fostexen, you would get no results. And now, if you search for fostexen, you are guaranteed to get a list of auctions for homeopathic ionic foot baths. So separating the wheat from the chaff has become more of a chore.

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #4,160 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing escapes the eyes of my search robot.

I need to invest some time into learning more about these search engines as I waste a significant amount of time sifting through the chaff - professionally that is. It would be usefull for the fun things on ebay too..dB

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #4,162 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...or that the majority of the ortho fans live outside the US
icon10.gif

Could this be true? EuroOrtho? Am I living on the wrong continent?

Aug 8, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #4,164 of 27,171
Hey guys,
Maybe this will be of help to someone in the future. I managed to get my Yamaha HP50S driver working!
I was fiddling around with it and i tried bending the piece of metal that the wires are soldered to (the one like a clock hour hand), I only moved it a tiny bit, since it didnt really wanna budge. And I suddenly got a continuity reading from it.

Testing it with my rig it started working!!! Anyway, Im not impressed with the stock sound, quite muffled.
Going to damp it later and see how it improves. And Ill probably have the Ludoo damped set in roughly a week to compare, which he said sound good.

Also getting some B&O U70's to play with. I know for bass they arent considered as well (at all) as others here, but couldnt pass it up. If I dont like em theyll move on again.

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #4,165 of 27,171
As a relatively inexperienced ortho modding n00b It seems that although I thought I was being fairly aggressive in my damping It turns out I wasn't. Ericj pointed out that my SFI needs quite hard damping, significantly more than I've been trying or even what I thought was possible before the whole thing collapsed in a heap, so last night I went full-bore and really damped the crap out of them - hard! Needless to say, Erics more experienced ears were correct. I'm not sure how to preserve this sound in a housing yet but...damn!!

If I can successfully mount what I'm hearing it's going up to second place in the harem. It's a completely different sound than I've encountered before with any headphone, ever. I can't even explain it otherr than the sound you get from a live concert. They have a certain 'live performance' sound to them that's both strange and very interesting. If hyou've been to a small venue rock show you'll know what I mean by that description.

Anyway, they have very explosive dynamics, smooth vocals and a sharp immediacy and 'crack' as well as going even deeper and higgher than my previous efforts. I need some assimilation and break-in time to see what's what. As much as I loved the little things before, it seems I was only getting a hint at their true potential and I needed an impartial blunk kick in the pants. Eric gave it to me and now I see what he was getting at.

More trials and listening tonight to see if they can keep the sound mounted.

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #4,166 of 27,171
Welcome to Team Critical Damping.

Sorry i waited so long on trying out the smeggos. This job has my life all mixed up, and i get home at the end of the day with no interest in doing things other people wish i would do. I'm hoping to get a lot of stuff done this weekend that has been put off for too long.

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #4,167 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer
Hey guys, I was fiddling around and tried bending the piece of metal that the wires are soldered to (the one like a clock hour hand), I only moved it a tiny bit, since it didnt really wanna budge. And I suddenly got a continuity reading from it.

Did you bend it up, away from the magnet, or try to make it rotate, like an hour hand on a clock face?

If the former, sounds like a bad solder joint, but it could also be a loose connector. ericj had plenty of similar fun with his YH-2.

Quote:

Im not impressed with the stock sound, quite muffled.

It's like ericjéda-vu all over again. But they will improve. That's one of the best things about working on this type of headphone; you know with a certainty that you can make them better. There are not that many things in life that are like that.

Quote:

Also getting some B&O U70's to play with. I know for bass they arent considered as well (at all) as others here, but couldnt pass them up. If I dont like em theyll move on again.

Who knows, maybe you'll come up with the killer mod. I'll be very interested in your reaction to the U70.

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #4,168 of 27,171
Smeggy, thanks for the candid description of your Ortho Epiphany. I had to go through it too, as FacelVega knows. Thanks to ericj too.

Yes, these little drivers really are good enough to educate your ears.

The question remains: why weren't the marketing people at the consumer orthodynamic headphone makers-- I assume it was the VPs of marketing who decided the various orthos were good enough to fling into the marketplace as they were-- why weren't they visited by their own Orthopiphany? I think the engineers were keeping to themselves, but who knows?

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #4,169 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The question remains: why weren't the marketing people at the consumer orthodynamic headphone makers-- I assume it was the VPs of marketing who decided the various orthos were good enough to fling into the marketplace as they were-- why weren't they visited by their own Orthopiphany? I think the engineers were keeping to themselves, but who knows?

I've pondered that myself. Could there have been some set of rules they thought they had followed to the letter? Did they do some math, put them together, say "Oh, i thought it would be better", and then sell them anyway?

The fact that they get less sensitive when they're damped harder can't fully explain it.

Aug 9, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #4,170 of 27,171
No, I don't think it does.

Did they not listen to their own product? (and could this be an indication that the whole project was farmed out to another company?). "Couldn't be any good anyway, it's one of ours."

Maybe, as you hinted, they listened to it on paper only, which also points toward an OEM supplier. Having too small a budget is another unmotivator.

I really wish we could stumble across someone who worked on the Orthodynamics project. Not bloody likely, but intarnet miracles do happen. Yeh rite.

Oh, almost forgot: got any photos of the SmEggos?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back