Orthodynamic Roundup
Aug 6, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #4,126 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the difference is not only in the quantity of bass: what the HP3 have which I did not find in the other orthos I tried (HP50, YH1, SFIs, Pro30) is spatiality: they have soundstage, the sound has depth, instruments are placed with some precision in space. And the sound has much more weight or body or whatever you want to call it.

Note also that Yamaha was using a lot of different magnet types and YHD series is a proof that different magnet makes otherwise identical headphones sound very different. The proof is YHD-1 vs. YHD-2, as two should ve very bass shy and YHD-1, at least the one I have is not that way at all.
L3000.gif

I would imagine the diaphragm tension plus the magnet type would create a lot of different sound variations.

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #4,127 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm hoping this will be the best combination yet. I'll find out when the new drivers and pads arrive. Hopefully ludo will approve of the new look and it will appease his Italian design sensibilities
wink.gif

Will you be using something to cover the drive, like pantyhose fabric? If dust, hair or a spec of plastic gets in there you are bound for some nasty buzzing sounds.

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #4,128 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would imagine the diaphragm tension plus the magnet type would create a lot of different sound variations.

Diaphragm tension is different between the HP3 and 50 I have. It's also possible that the magnets are indeed different.

On the left the HP3 driver, on the right the HP50. The pic is misleading, as in reality the metal connector on the HP3 is shiny while the HP50 one is slightly rusty. What the photo shows is the different shade of color of the two magnets: bluish in my HP3, grayish in the HP50.

Aug 6, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #4,129 of 27,158
Quote:

Diaphragm tension is different between the HP3 and 50 I have. It's also possible that the magnets are indeed different.

On the left the HP3 driver, on the right the HP50. The pic is misleading, as in reality the metal connector on the HP3 is shiny while the HP50 one is slightly rusty. What the photo shows is the different shade of color of the two magnets: bluish in my HP3, grayish in the HP50.

Maybe the magnet type is different. HP-3 is using Sintered Ferrite, 46mm Diameter magnets, that was the cheap and more common version also used by HP-1, 2 and YH-1, 2. YH-100 used Anisotropic Ferrite for example and more expensive YH-1000 used an even better Cerium Cobalt magnets. It's might be the case that HP50 was using some other magnet variation, but it should be using Sintered Ferrite since this was the standard in cheaper Yamaha models. So I am at a loss at what other magnet type it can use. You can take a look in Wikiphonia Yamaha section at the brochures and additional info.

Aug 6, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #4,130 of 27,158
I figure there is no other place to post a request like this. I am looking for good quality pictures of YHD-3, HP-2/3 and YH-2/3 headphones to incorporate in the wiki. Thanks in advance fellow Orthodynamisti
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #4,131 of 27,158
Quote:

Will you be using something to cover the drive, like pantyhose fabric? If dust, hair or a spec of plastic gets in there you are bound for some nasty buzzing sounds.

That was just one of the old broken 32ohm drivers I use to try stuff out and test for size, the proper ones will be fully covered.

Aug 6, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #4,132 of 27,158
Quote:

As promised, I took pics last night while modding Kabeer's HP50s. Here is a guide on how to replicate my mod, with a slight difference at the end for the bassy versions. All pics are clickable to get the large size images.

Great tutorial Ludo, fun read and good pics.

Aug 6, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #4,133 of 27,158
Quote:

Note also that Yamaha was using a lot of different magnet types and YHD series is a proof that different magnet makes otherwise identical headphones sound very different. The proof is YHD-1 vs. YHD-2, as two should ve very bass shy and YHD-1, at least the one I have is not that way at all.
L3000.gif

The general consensus is that the magnet only effects efficiency.

Aug 6, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #4,134 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The general consensus is that the magnet only effects efficiency.

I doubt that diaphragm tension and magnet type only effect efficiency and have not effect on sound signature. What is this consensus you talk about?
ph34r.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #4,135 of 27,158
wualta has stated that magnets only or mostly affect sensitivity. It's probably true. I can't think of a reason they would affect sensitivity in a nonlinear way.

diaphragm pliance on the other hand directly affects frequency response in that it, along with the surface area of the diaphragm, determines the self-resonant frequency.

This is why the non-tensioned PMB drivers are often bass-lite with no possibility of help. It just doesn't move around too easy.

Aug 6, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #4,136 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was just one of the old broken 32ohm drivers I use to try stuff out and test for size, the proper ones will be fully covered.

Cool. Looked scary there for a moment
tongue.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #4,137 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wualta has stated that magnets only or mostly affect sensitivity. It's probably true. I can't think of a reason they would affect sensitivity in a nonlinear way.

diaphragm pliance on the other hand directly affects frequency response in that it, along with the surface area of the diaphragm, determines the self-resonant frequency.

This is why the non-tensioned PMB drivers are often bass-lite with no possibility of help. It just doesn't move around too easy.

No doubt that tension together with sensitivity change caused by magnet would affect the sound.

But I suspect that magnet type might effects the sound as well. My logic is as follows, stronger force and more even magnetic field of the magnet theoretically will create a more uniform movement of the diaphragm thus affecting the distortion at specific frequencies. Plus control of the driver might be a bit better with better magnets, thus better transients.

P.S. But my mind is polluted by Conceptual Continuity nonsense so pay no attention to my ramblings.

Aug 6, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #4,138 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why my HP-3 doesn't have the same sound his has... I have no idea.

My Yamaha HP-3 has very small amount of bass. They are definitely NOT bass-heavy cans as other people describe them.

Aug 7, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #4,139 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed, that will be very useful for future reference.

@ Smeggy ; just fantastic - you keep pulling the aces out of your sleeve. Remind me never to play poker with you.
One question; does the plug sit directly ontop of the driver or is there another layer of felt beneath that? I really need to keep some form of mod diary so that I know what has been tried and more importantly, what you have found to work best..dB

Oops, missed this one. I normally sit the plug directly on the back. Because the new felt is even more dense than the other stuff I'll have to try some different configurations to see what works best.. or not. I won't find out until the drivers arrive.

Aug 7, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #4,140 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Serge44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Yamaha HP-3 has very small amount of bass. They are definitely NOT bass-heavy cans as other people describe them.

That's very strange. It would appear that there are numerous versions floating about. I suppose this would explain why some like them and some rank them fairly low. Maybe they had the drivers or diaphragms sourced from a few different companies, or the design was changed over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back