Orthodynamic Roundup
Aug 5, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #4,096 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaughn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey EricJ,

I won't place any bets on whether you or not you can make those into orthos, but I might as to whether or not it is worth your while
very_evil_smiley.gif

BTW, I will ship them out tomorrow!

haha, I wondered if that was you.

I don't have any concept of what size the earcups are so maybe an SFI won't fit in there at all.

I also wonder if iGrado drivers will fit. Seems to be a mostly similar enclosure. In theory anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Planar_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have anyone tried to make their own custom cups for orthos yet? I saw a few, but most seem like transplants to another phone.

Yeah, recently smeggy posted rough plans for the earcups he's manufacturing. Also a year or more back, another user was putting yamaha drivers in large wood earcups. search this thread for "donuts".

Aug 5, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #4,100 of 27,158
I really need to make more time for the Wiki, I've been busy though. Maybe take a crack on Wednesday?

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, 120Wpc of yummy MOSFETTY goodness feeding them.

I still dont know what the heck this MOSFET business is, but does it sound better than the NAD?

Oh and youre stuff, I'll, send it out, Tuesday!! Tuesday for sure!

Aug 5, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #4,101 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still dont know what the heck this MOSFET business is, but does it sound better than the NAD?

"The sound of one hand clapping" ...... NP

..dB

Aug 5, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #4,102 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really need to make more time for the Wiki, I've been busy though. Maybe take a crack on Wednesday?

Oh and youre stuff, I'll, send it out, Tuesday!! Tuesday for sure!

Power MOSFETs are a transistor type some of us like. Hot, heavy and nice sound.

Aug 5, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #4,103 of 27,158
Metal–Oxide–Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor

They are really nothing magical, I am sure few people would be able to differentiate a class A biased BJT or MOSFET amp. The very simple circuits using MOSFETS are said to sound "toob-like" because of the even order harmonic distortion characteristics. I am partial to both, but prefer tube hybrids which some may consider heresy. If my mosfet amp wasn't such a tank, I would happily send it on a journey for your discovery ..dB

Aug 5, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #4,104 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A test set based around an old Alessandro.

The cable looks suspiciously blue. If it's th elength I sent in the felt package a while ago, be careful basing your observations on it as all the phones I've used it on had a noticeable bump in bass. I don't usually believe in cable wizardry, but it happened too many times to be a placebo effect. On the other hand, I seem to recall Wualta or Ericj saying cable makes no difference to orthos (but the Pro30s sound better with their original cable than they did with mine, so I don't know what to think here either, maybe I should just sleep more).

Aug 5, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #4,107 of 27,158
I'm puzzled: Kabeer's HP50s sound different than my HP3s. They seem identical, I damped them in the same way, and they are much brighter, with less bass and a thinner sound.

There's a difference though: my drivers look newer (will take a shot and post it as soon as I finish writing this), and are so lose that when I press with my fingers on the exterior of the cups they make a loud crinckly sound. Kabeers' drivers make no such sound.

Is it possible they have never been used and have to loosen up? Or did Yamaha produce two identical phones with identical drivers and a different tuning?

Edit: took a pic but the drivers look identical. I have to wait for natural light as mines are more shiny while the HP50s have some rust on them.

Edit 2: The HP50s pads are a good half centimeter thinner than those of my HP3s, and much more worn.

Aug 5, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #4,108 of 27,158
The tension of the diaphragm will influence the bass and dampiability (is this a word?) of headphones. If the diaphragm is loose you have a lot of room to play with tunning the sound, if it's really tensioned, as soon as you dampen the headphones you loose bass.

Aug 5, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #4,109 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The tension of the diaphragm will influence the bass and dampiability (is this a word?) of headphones. If the diaphragm is loose you have a lot of room to play with tunning the sound, if it's really tensioned, as soon as you dampen the headphones you loose bass.

I know. The problem is the HP3 and 50 are supposed to be identical. So either they are not, or a well used diaphragm changes their sound drastically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back