Orthodynamic Roundup
Aug 3, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #4,066 of 27,171
Indeed. While the SFI isn't a super bass monsterphone, it is strong and powerful down very deep. Mine hit the lowest notes I've thrown at them. Not fat bloaty bass but controlled and well balanced (at least to my ears). The SFIs can get overwhelming in the bass at times and thud like crazy, pounding your ears. I prefer a bit less in quantity as long as the quality and depth is there.

Aug 3, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #4,067 of 27,171
Yeah I have a test disc, I will have a play at it later. I can hear the low frequencies in music they are just not strong. It is the power behind them that is lacking and if I crank it up, the high mids just kill my ears. This neutral presentation is what makes them pleasant to listen to and in fact remind me of my initial impressions of the 501's . Do these drivers need a fair amount of break in?

..dB

Aug 4, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #4,068 of 27,171
They do need a little bit of music cranking through them to bed the drivers in fully. Another couple of observations which I think are correct, the SFI is mounted behind the Grado faceplate which will do strange things to their response. The back still looks like it may not be ideal. The drivers really need to be solidly mounted to work their best. The SFI bass should be ample when set up correctly, ample, powerful and deep.

Aug 4, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #4,069 of 27,171
Ok, so it's time to go and saw down a tree or pop into my local Rockler and pick up a block of something pretty , failing that it will be time to ask for professional help. ( no smarmy remarks there wualta or kie ) ..dB

EDIT

I ran a frequency sweep on them and I sorta expected to find this - it is more or less flat down to 32Hz. It has a very slight humph at about 2KHz, which is negligible. The amplitude of the various test tones is remarkably flat (subjectively) , I suspect that my dynamics have an 80 odd Hz bump - I will run said test on them too and see what I get.

On the subject of test tones. Would it make sense / be possible to upload various test tracks on the wiki so that we are all referring to the same thing. Smeggy, were the test tracks 19+ any good?

Aug 4, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #4,070 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do need a little bit of music cranking through them to bed the drivers in fully. Another couple of observations which I think are correct, the SFI is mounted behind the Grado faceplate which will do strange things to their response. The back still looks like it may not be ideal. The drivers really need to be solidly mounted to work their best. The SFI bass should be ample when set up correctly, ample, powerful and deep.

I have to agree with this. If i had those to work on, the first thing I'd do is remove the grado grille. Either completely or at least the innermost 1 inch of it, to uncover the active area of the face of the SFI driver.

And the 2nd thing i'd do is make sure there is an airtight seal between the SFI and the body of the headphone. No Air At All should be able to pass between the back and the front. Even if you think it's not very much. Even if you think the parts fit together in a reasonably snug manner.

Aug 4, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #4,071 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to agree with this. If i had those to work on, the first thing I'd do is remove the grado grille. Either completely or at least the innermost 1 inch of it, to uncover the active area of the face of the SFI driver.

I hadn't done this as if the experiment doesn't work, I will restore the grado drivers and pass them on to my kid brother.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And the 2nd thing i'd do is make sure there is an airtight seal between the SFI and the body of the headphone. No Air At All should be able to pass between the back and the front. Even if you think it's not very much. Even if you think the parts fit together in a reasonably snug manner.

They are sealed tight and snug :) , the rear chamber may still be too stuffed but the drivers sound very similar held free to my ear as they do when in the enclosure.

ps I edited my previous post at almost the same time you were posting..dB

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #4,072 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
\

I ran a frequency sweep on them and I sorta expected to find this - it is more or less flat down to 32Hz. It has a very slight humph at about 2KHz, which is negligible. The amplitude of the various test tones is remarkably flat (subjectively) , I suspect that my dynamics have an 80 odd Hz bump - I will run said test on them too and see what I get.

On the subject of test tones. Would it make sense / be possible to upload various test tracks on the wiki so that we are all referring to the same thing. Smeggy, were the test tracks 19+ any good?

At my normal listening level track 19 was good all through the range and never went silent, track 21 (bass) was also good with the last two notes fairly quiet but still audible. I have no idea what the frequency of those last two were. NM, 25 & 20Hz.

Aug 4, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #4,073 of 27,171
It looks like Kabeer's HP50s have arrived, as my wife told me there's a package from Germany at home. Which would be weird, as I made the payment by wire transfer last Tueasday or so. It would be the fastest shipping I ever received from an ebay dealer. And it makes me feel like an ass, as I paid double that my HP50s from Singapore which have not yet arrived...

If the package is really what I think, I should be able to post pics of the complete HP3/50 mod between tonight and tomorrow.

Aug 4, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #4,074 of 27,171
I don't log on for 2 days and there's 10 new pages to read
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Scompton: You'll like the 950 even though everyone will tell you it stinks.

If only the Kmart 'stats could be there! They'd never believe it. I'm not sure I believe it.

Unfortunately, no Koss were there, or they showed up after I left. We had an afternoon flight to Green Bay so I could only stay for 3 hours.

Funny you should mention the KMart stats since I just won a pair. I couldn't resist.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like Kabeer's HP50s have arrived, as my wife told me there's a package from Germany at home. Which would be weird, as I made the payment by wire transfer last Tueasday or so. It would be the fastest shipping I ever received from an ebay dealer. And it makes me feel like an ass, as I paid double that my HP50s from Singapore which have not yet arrived...

I once won a CD from a seller in the UK and received it in 2 days. I was amazed. I've never have received something from the US as fast.

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #4,076 of 27,171
Interesting find ludoo, I turned up a few more models from the same era but can find no specifics about them.
HPX10 HPX1000 HPX201 HPX30 HPX301 HPX35 HPX5 HPX50 HPX500 HPX705 HPX80 HPX800 HPX815
They were sold in the States and ranged from $65 to $150. This was before the Aiwa - Sony merger so I imagine there is once again nothing new being done.

For what it's worth, I swore by my Aiwa buds back in the 90's and they still sound better than most buds I have tried..dB

ps I never did comment of your fine SFI work , was a little blinkered yesterday trying to get something out of mine
tongue_smile.gif

edit: nearly forgot scompton, how was the meet. any ortho converts
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #4,077 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, no Koss were there, or they showed up after I left. We had an afternoon flight to Green Bay so I could only stay for 3 hours.

The ESP950 were there from the beginning, just tucked away in a bag. We brought them out later and hooked them up to Tkam's KGSS rig. They sounded really amazing. Besides the stats though, your modded HP-1 was probably about my favorite.

Stay for 3 hours, leave for one, then reappear for 2 minutes.
wink_face.gif

Aug 4, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #4,078 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I once won a CD from a seller in the UK and received it in 2 days. I was amazed. I've never have received something from the US as fast.

Miracles do happen...

hp3hp50.jpg

Tonight I have to put the original cable back on the Pro30s that will ship tomorrow, fix the K401s I partially traded with an SR3+SRD5 combo (not that I needed it), then if I'm still awake I will start working on Kabeer's HP50s.

Edit: in the pics they are next to my HP3. Kabeer's pads are a bit worn out but still usable. The rest of the phones are in very good condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back