Orthodynamic Roundup
Jan 29, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #26,731 of 27,138
Grundig GDHS-223 = T20 driver.
Jamo, Denon, Concept = T30 driver.

The main differences are the Grundig has a bigger baffle and pads that are larger than the rear cups/shell.
Also the Grundig uses a pleather headband cover.

All the T30 variants have smaller pads the same size as the cups and plastic suspension headband.
You made my day, GREQ. Now I am surprised, indeed. How could I miss this info? I own all of them except the Jamo. They look quite similar, so i thought they were all t20s. I did not spend much time with their sound. Wow and wow. I also have two T30s, so i now go and compare them.

Jan 29, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #26,733 of 27,138
Jan 29, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #26,734 of 27,138
My fpc rig is built. Just working on calibrating and figuring out how to take good measurements. This means CSD and distortion measurements for vintage orthos soon. I know @takato14 has been providing those for awhile now and is a legendary pro.

@Biodegraded (pro) just picked up my pair of YH-2 so he’ll have impressions and full suite of measurements soon on that other friendly site*.

*Apparently HeadFi is no longer enforcing their rule against mentioning other websites. So, those measures by Bio will be on… SBAF.

The small vintage ortho tour there* is still ongoing (T30, RP18, and HP-1a). Patience please. All the participants are forum legends so they can take as long as they like. Worth it. Its not like these are new easily obtainable headphones anyway. If you are desperate for rare orthodynamic impressions check out rd’s LCD-R mod impressions just posted*.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #26,735 of 27,138
@Philimon Would you be able to link to where all this stuff is happening now that Head-Fi is more relaxed? I have tried finding it but it seems there are multiple ortho threads over there and I couldn't find CSD measurements on any of the pages, so I figured I was in wrong place. Even the name of the thread should suffice I would think.

So. A lot has happened. I determined Dekoni Elite YH-100's so tame I could make them brighter, haha. I removed bass lens and bass disc and I cut a little more off the pacman front damping. They are DETAILED. I was hearing odd things with Dekoni Elite pads + bass lens combo. Removing bass lens fixed this issue. I added third layer of Akasa Paxmate to YH-100 baffles to give Dekoni Elite pads more depth. The Paxmate gets squished, so maybe my measurements before weren't exactly accurate. I take pads off and the Paxmate is mashed down thinner than 5mm. I can't add any more layers though the Dekoni Elite pads' outer lips are not that large, they are barely holding onto baffles as is. Soundstage is very close to Brainwavz, imho, although Brainwavz maybe sounds a little more spacious at times. I also returned my RCA cables and bought slightly more expensive ones from same company, basically 1awg thicker copper. I also bought an iFi iPurifier thinking I could just return it if I heard no difference. Big difference, imho. YH-100's sound very detailed and bold right now. Treble is sweet and extended. Snaps claps and ticks sound super etched out. Midrange vivid. So many mods took place very quickly it's like whoa. Haven't even heard Arya's yet, YH-100's are @_@.

Jan 30, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #26,737 of 27,138
@Philimon Would you be able to link to where all this stuff is happening now that Head-Fi is more relaxed? I have tried finding it but it seems there are multiple ortho threads over there and I couldn't find CSD measurements on any of the pages, so I figured I was in wrong place. Even the name of the thread should suffice I would think.

So. A lot has happened. I determined Dekoni Elite YH-100's so tame I could make them brighter, haha. I removed bass lens and bass disc and I cut a little more off the pacman front damping. They are DETAILED. I was hearing odd things with Dekoni Elite pads + bass lens combo. Removing bass lens fixed this issue. I added third layer of Akasa Paxmate to YH-100 baffles to give Dekoni Elite pads more depth. The Paxmate gets squished, so maybe my measurements before weren't exactly accurate. I take pads off and the Paxmate is mashed down thinner than 5mm. I can't add any more layers though the Dekoni Elite pads' outer lips are not that large, they are barely holding onto baffles as is. Soundstage is very close to Brainwavz, imho, although Brainwavz maybe sounds a little more spacious at times. I also returned my RCA cables and bought slightly more expensive ones from same company, basically 1awg thicker copper. I also bought an iFi iPurifier thinking I could just return it if I heard no difference. Big difference, imho. YH-100's sound very detailed and bold right now. Treble is sweet and extended. Snaps claps and ticks sound super etched out. Midrange vivid. So many mods took place very quickly it's like whoa. Haven't even heard Arya's yet, YH-100's are @_@.
No links. Im not that brave. Just searching for titles with “ortho” or “vintage” should net you all the threads.
Sharing privately in PMs is fine. :wink:

Jan 30, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #26,738 of 27,138
Sharing privately in PMs is fine. :wink:
I admit Im too lazy. SBAF’s vintage headphone threads are much less than 50pages total. Compare that to ortho roundup! khbaur can find the info if he looks earnestly. If he says he cant find still then I will help. @khbaur330162 I dont have the pages or info memorized. It would take me effort as well. Meet halfway etc.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #26,739 of 27,138
I have not ever dreamt of taking this photo up until yesterday evening. :beerchug:

20220130_183311-1.jpg

Jan 30, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #26,741 of 27,138
@Philimon Ok, think I found it. Let me know when I should send you YH-100's for measurements if that's still a thing.

I remember why I don't hang out over there. Dude it needs two step verification and it says there's an "app on my phone" that will give me a code. Idk what app they are talking about, lol. I never got registered there.

Jan 30, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #26,742 of 27,138
Its cool khbaur. Ill let you know when and Ill send you some stuff to try in return. Im getting closer to calibrating the fpc and being able to format graphs to a useable degree. Just need more known headphones / data for comparison. Its happening slowly. Ill probably pickup up a few cheap commonly measured headphones like HD58X soon for reference.

Feb 21, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #26,744 of 27,138
Anybody seen @takato14 ? I sent a PM and no response. I understand he is a busy guy so not too worried. Just have not had any update from him in awhile in regards to the vintage ortho tour.

edit: Im guessing that like me, he has a alternate email that he uses for random schitt and doesnt check the inbox regularly so wont notice he has an internet forum notifications for some time. I usually check my alt/spam email only once a week so its understandable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back