Orthodynamic Roundup
Dec 23, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #26,701 of 27,137
@Philimon Sad to hear about RP-18's. Truly sad. Mine had a buzz with bassy orchestral music. I gifted them to a friend and she has yet to hear them buzz, so they obviously don't do it often, but it's enough for me to put them out of service and never sell them, too, so I totally am familiar with your sense of loss here.

I can probably stitch you leather (maybe even suede-esque) earpads for YH-1's, same exact outer and inner diameter, more or less, literally same foams. ... I have... YH-1 pads at my disposal. XD Thin white leather, I have extra stock, no idea how it will sound but the pads I made from them were decent comfort-wise, leather felt great as long as I stitched it tight with the foams. Being supra-aural you probably just want the smooth leather to seal on your ears, but I might be able to scrounge up two pairs so... I could just make one of each kind. Lmk what you think, I'd just charge you postage, I have little need for the materials, and time is whatever, just hope they sound good once you slap 'em on.

Dec 23, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #26,702 of 27,137
@khbaur330162
Custom Yamaha leather pads would be cool. However, I doubt that the stock foam is still serviceable. If you look at Foam Factory website you can click on individual foam specs and youll see the longest shelf life is like 25-35 years. But most foam on the site have much shorter expiration dates. When I was ordering foams I only bothered with 25+ year stuff for headphone driver damping mods.

I dont have a YH-1. Only have a YH-2 (by choice because prefer). I actually have an extra set I was going to mod then let loose. Not that interested in pads because these YH-2 have good pads (very good to mint with original packaging, sweeet). Yeah, the foam will probably lose shape and disintegrate like so many Yamaha pads but atm Im okay.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #26,703 of 27,137
Овальные колодки Brainwavz подходят к раме DR-ZX701ip, поэтому я использовал практически все варианты Brainwavz.

Овчина (не полностью овчина, только лицевая сторона и внешний край)
PC170003.JPG
Микро замша
PC230001.JPG

В микрозамше вроде тупо комфортно, даже не шучу. Идеальные маленькие наушники. Но даже с проблемами посадки я предпочитаю овчину из-за звука.

[USER = 60534] @Philimon [/ USER] Что снова случилось с RP-18? Вы их продали? Вы предпочитаете Т30? Всегда хотел услышать Т30 ... Диафрагма круто смотрелась.

-edit- Думаю, я наконец-то слышу то, что вы называете резкостью верхней середины на YH-1. Думаю, я был невосприимчив к этому. Это просто определенные песни, ха-ха, мне нравится колорит многих песен, которые звучат действительно здорово ... Однако ему не нравится усилитель в Dethonray Honey. Этот усилитель немного усилен верхними средними и высокими частотами. Мой портативный усилитель звучит немного ровнее и даже просторнее ... лучший усилитель, имхо, но этот последний уровень детализации, кажется, временами отсутствует. Я купил Triad L3, чтобы посмотреть, решит ли это мои проблемы с детализацией и пространством, надеюсь, усилитель не слишком велик для моего портативного стека. У него также есть усиление низких частот, поэтому мы увидим, хорошо ли он играет с орто, но я слышал, что это как бы переборщить, так что, возможно, только на очень низких настройках.

-edit2- Это предустановка эквалайзера, которую я только что создал для YH-100:
YH-100 EQ.png

Звучит отлично. Немного теплее, сдвигает остальную часть звукового спектра вперед, звучит ровнее.

Dec 26, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #26,704 of 27,137
-Pad swap saga-

Hrm. Boomy bass might be sheepskin pads, not YH-1's/HP-1a's. YH-100's even glean a little boominess with sheepskin pads.

YH-100's with sheepskin pads. O_O Idek anymore. Maybe the trick to this is never stop tuning your headphones because it never gets dull, but YH-100's sound really good with sheepskin pads now. Bass is a little bLoomy due to better seal so they need way less bass boost, almost not needed entirely, but I don't mind lower levels of bass I think, so ymmv. They lose the holographic sense of room acoustics and stuff like I was talking about before, I guess that's not really yh-100's but hybrid pads. I put hybrid pads on HP-1a's and they sounded more detailed, bass needed a lot of boosting but they sounded punchy now like I've come to know YH-100's. Still, YH-100's seem to have a finesse over detail retrieval compared to HP-1a's somehow, even odds stacked against them with hybrid pads on HP-1a's and sheepskin on YH-100's, I was still at times picking up on deeper parts of the track with YH-100's. I will swap hybrids back onto YH-100's so I have two headphones that sound "different." YH-100's do well with hybrid pads and small amount of EQ so that's a good headphone to have.

Hybrid pads on HP-1a's sounded terrible through my portable stack. Idek what's going on there, the portable amp isn't as bright as the Dethonray Honey amp but it was still too much. I took the line out from the Dethonray Honey and fed it into my Nakamichi receiver and it sounded way way better, so amplification is pretty key here. Even through the Nak receiver though the HP-1a's sounded super dry and lifeless with hyrbid pads even though technically proficient. At first I was like "Well darn, this is really good, too," but after listening for a while I just felt no emotion toward the music, it was lifeless. These YH/HP-1's are so transparent! Differences between amps are pretty large: amp tuning, amp soundstaging, amp detail, all readily apparent with these transplanted ortho's.

Dec 26, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #26,705 of 27,137
I bought all good models of the USSR with ORTO-ISO dynamic drivers, there were also Lvov Amphiton H-25s (the biggest driver - 75 mm).

they are without a center clip.

I bought and the best models made not in my country are Fostex ....., NAD 18, Techics 810, 820, 830 LEAK 3000, Wharfedale ID1, ID2. Yamaha - YHD-1, HP-1, YH-1, YH-100, YH-1000.
Of the many models I've listened to, the Yamaha YH-100, which I removed the native dampers and covered a third of the holes in the back. They started to sound much more interesting.
The scene is wider, the vocals are heard more naturally, the bass is moderate, and the highs are more expressive.I am very happy with the result, with pleasure I bought three more copies. It gives me an opportunity to compare how it was in the stock and how it became, and how I can make it more musical. For myself I noted a very important fact. It is better not to change the original cushions. The details in the sound decreased.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #26,706 of 27,137
That is dedication @micon. Very cool. YH-100's are pretty cool, I am a fan, too.

Like 100% positive??? I don't want to say that, there is possibly one damping layer difference, but it sounds like at least my pair of HP-1a's are smoother in ~2kHz region (as well as somewhere in the treble region) than isotropic YH-1's; less sibilant. Little warmer headphone, imo. Bolder image? Interesting listening session tonight. They sound pretty different now. HP-1a's sick. I got super lucky my pair don't really crinkle. If you press on the right cup a little hard it can *crack* a little loudly, but I've never heard the drivers crinkle while wearing the headphones normally, even rocking out in them. Little EQ compensation aiming for flat mids, boosted bass and treble is fine. Contenders for YH-100's maybe. You can get HP-1a for less than YH-100.

Dec 26, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #26,707 of 27,137
the Yamaha YH-100, which I removed the native dampers and covered a third of the holes in the back. They started to sound much more interesting.
Which holes? The housing vents or the magnet perforations? How did you seal the holes? Pictures?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #26,709 of 27,137
I decided to try reflex damping such as @micon described. I figured masking tape would dry out after few months and not stick, so what do I have that might be more permanent? Akasa paxmate. So here is the mod on YH-100 transplanted into DR-ZX701ip frame.

20211228_144158 yh-100 reflex mod.jpg

2021-12-28 YH-100 reflex damping + angled sheepskin + Bass Boost.jpg

Sounds even warmer in midrange than YH-1, at least to my ears. The angled pads also give them even more projected center image. Interesting development. The reflex damping mod made bass sound a little more breathy and open, imho, and it also subdued 2kHz region slightly. That was my first impression, sounds a little smoother, and I would call bass more musical, yeah. Then I started swapping pads looking for a good match and the angled sheepskin are pretty nice. Must do more listening.

-edit-
Angled pads have holographic soundstage. Sounds great on HP-1a as well. Definitely stealing these angled pads off the U70. They were literally on there just to give them something. I need these for HP-1a's...

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #26,710 of 27,137
I tried putting drivers in other models of headphones. but came to the conclusion that the native case is the best, and necessarily native pads.

P.S. I assume those who have used the hp-1 and YH-100 will confirm, the 100 has a better body, they are more comfortable.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #26,711 of 27,137
Stock YH-1 does not sound to my preference. Way too shouty. Plasticky. My modded YH-1's and HP-1a's incorporate my entire ear. Image is massive vs stock earpads which cover up a large percentage of front magnet perforations. Sound-quality-wise there's no comparison between stock enclosure and DR-ZX701ip, imho. Also -being circumaural- I can almost wear them as long as I want.

-edit- I honestly wish Yamaha would re-release the YH-100 with ultra-thin diaphragm, neodymium magnets, angled Sony enclosure clone please, and leather earpads. Please just re-release the YH-100 using modern materials and enclosures. Small 55mm drivers can be angled which gives unique soundstaging capabilities even compared to the massive planars of today.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #26,713 of 27,137
What's the YH-2 mod?

Jan 2, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #26,714 of 27,137
What's the YH-2 mod?
Its not a great mod I determined. Its akin to the reflective mods where youre placing sealant materials on back of drivers. Except this mod seals the cups instead then with a bit of damping and absorptive material inside. Its so so. Not as effective as sealing driver holes, and any positives in comparison arent obviously evident from memory.

I would need another set to a/b. And I havent built a fpc mic rig yet for better distortion and csd measurements which I imagine would be key to seeing if sealing driver directly is detrimental. Relying solely on my subjective impressions is pretty unreliable. My ears/brain are not good or trained.

Edit: In future ping me with @Philimon for faster response pls.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back