Damping = acoustic attenuation.
Dampening = making something wet.

Nov 9, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #25,202 of 27,158
Learning should be celebrated.
Ignorance is never a sin.
Damping = acoustic attenuation.
Dampening = making something wet.

Dictionary actually says "damping" is the short informal of Damping-off
The word we're using is based off of the word damp.
Here's the kicker though-
Damp=
verb
  1. make (something) slightly wet

2. control or restrain (a feeling or a state of affairs).
To be honest, this talk just reeks of pointless semantics. I'm sorry but none of these meanings are set in stone, and as long as dampening makes sense to me i'll keep using it. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Speaking of wettening, I'm on the prowl for some specific materials. I've been looking for something like construction paper, but if it was made from cotton. I have a pair with a material like that behind the driver, slotted for both deadening of resonances and allowing air to move somewhat freely. Anyone know anything like that?
Also, I'm kicking around the idea of buying some bamboo/cotton blend batting for damp ideas. Has anyone found any material like the yellow biscuits in fostexen? Please don't argue with my usage of the word biscuit here D:

Nov 9, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #25,203 of 27,158
i think you miss the third one for verb, according google

restrict the amplitude of vibrations on (a piano or other musical instrument) so as to reduce the volume of sound.
"rapidly damping the cymbals after repeatedly clashing them together"
  • PHYSICS
    progressively reduce the amplitude of (an oscillation or vibration).
    "concrete structures damp out any vibrations"

Nov 9, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #25,204 of 27,158
Nov 9, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #25,205 of 27,158
noun
noun: damping off
  1. 1.
    technical
    a decrease in the amplitude of an oscillation as a result of energy being drained from the system to overcome frictional or other resistive forces.
    • a mechanism or system for bringing about damping.
    • a method of bringing about a decrease in oscillatory peaks in an electric current or voltage using an energy-absorbing or resistance circuit.
Down the rabbit hole tho

Nov 10, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #25,206 of 27,158
Got @Feilong4 's YH100's in! I actually think I prefer them to my mod, though I do tend to prefer a leaner sound with elevated upper midrange and presence. The main reason I sold my HD800 was that I found it too thick-sounding.

FR measurements:
Yamaha YH100 Feilong Mod.png

Versus mine:
Yamaha YH100 Mod.png

Yamaha YH100 Feilong Mod vs Personal Mod.png

I was going for a darker sound overall because I'm used to these orthos sounding sort of grainy but the treble on the YH100 is actually not half bad. For those that want a reference, here are my HD580, HD600, and HD650 measurements: https://imgur.com/a/ybftB

CSD Measurements:
Yamaha YH100 Feilong Mod CSD L.png
Yamaha YH100 Feilong Mod CSD R.png

Versus mine:
Yamaha YH100 Mod CSD R.png

Take these with a grain of salt because my rig is definitely not up to par and I don't have an isolation chamber, etc. Listening though, I'm significantly more annoyed by the ringing between 2-3kHz with my pair than this "ortho wall" at 4-5kHz.

I like these though; I might just keep working on my pair for a bit before selling it out of frustration.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #25,207 of 27,158
Got @Feilong4 's YH100's in! I actually think I prefer them to my mod, though I do tend to prefer a leaner sound with elevated upper midrange and presence. The main reason I sold my HD800 was that I found it too thick-sounding.

FR measurements:

Versus mine:

I was going for a darker sound overall because I'm used to these orthos sounding sort of grainy but the treble on the YH100 is actually not half bad. For those that want a reference, here are my HD580, HD600, and HD650 measurements: https://imgur.com/a/ybftB

CSD Measurements:

Versus mine:

Take these with a grain of salt because my rig is definitely not up to par and I don't have an isolation chamber, etc. Listening though, I'm significantly more annoyed by the ringing between 2-3kHz with my pair than this "ortho wall" at 4-5kHz.

I like these though; I might just keep working on my pair for a bit before selling it out of frustration.

Thanks! Kinda want to send in my T50v0, although I'm a bit afraid to see the results. That and also 3-4 days without them.

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #25,208 of 27,158
Thanks! Kinda want to send in my T50v0, although I'm a bit afraid to see the results. That and also 3-4 days without them.

I’m down if you’re down! I’ve always wanted to hear one. I’ve actually listened to and measured a Sansui SS100 and I thought that thing was pretty decent.

0691521A-000C-4C93-8752-C2B60E996C06.png

Nov 11, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #25,209 of 27,158
I’m down if you’re down! I’ve always wanted to hear one. I’ve actually listened to and measured a Sansui SS100 and I thought that thing was pretty decent.

I'll see if I'll be able to get them out on Monday, if not, Tuesday. I'll let you know.

Nov 11, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #25,210 of 27,158
I’m find with holding out a bit! I want to get my EARS in and have it all set up before measuring more stuff

Nov 11, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #25,211 of 27,158
I’m find with holding out a bit! I want to get my EARS in and have it all set up before measuring more stuff

Cool! When do they start shipping out? I can wait until then.

Nov 11, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #25,212 of 27,158
Cool! When do they start shipping out? I can wait until then.

They said mid to late this month but hopefully sooner rather than later

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #25,214 of 27,158
Is EARS the name of the mic setup or are you attaching silicon ears to a binaural mic?

I think the EARS is a measuring rig. Has everything needed for measuring like mics, cables, files. Just gotta plug in the USB and you're good to go. Correct me @Ishcabible if I'm wrong or missing something though.

Link.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back