Orthodynamic Roundup

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by wualta, Mar 27, 2005.
  1. Feilong4
    Yeah, I was thinking of putting them in an ATH-AD chassis if they fit. I forgot what the size the driver is though. 53 or 55mm? 53mm would be a perfect fit while 55mm would probably be too much.

If there isn't any takers, I'll probably try to experiment with that. But then again, I do want a new office chair on Black Friday so I'm not too bummed out if someone wants to take them off of me.

Edit: Went back and read on the YH-100 driver size. Seems like it's 55mm. Seems like it's a bit too big as most ATH-AD headphones uses 53mm drivers. No idea if I could squeeze the drivers in.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  2. BucketInABucket
    So, I finally got around to sticking the YHD-1 drivers into the OB-1. All I used for damping was a piece of arctic cotton behind the driver which I left from having previously lightly modded it. It sounds pretty good! If a bit dark at the moment. I'll have to try getting the treble and upper mids out another time but for now I'm pretty satisfied!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Feilong4 and nick n like this.
  3. nick n
    Nice clean job that looks great.
    Can you try stacking a smaller AC disc in the middle of the rears to cover just the center "row" of holes?
    Or a ring over the outers depending...

Or a small "reflector" of Micropore there instead sized accordingly. I did find the Micropore/Paper Tape does a bit of filtering and reflecting at the same time
    You could play with it frontside same spot also, but then you lose a bit of the immediate AC advantages.

I expect completion shots too! :) Even from the outside after it is all assembled. Can't seem to get a grasp on how those look in reality.

P.S.
    I do have a few more types of AC -ish materials ... how's the supply holding out?

4. BucketInABucket
    There was a completion shot in the imgur album, was there not? o:

Also, I'll do that tomorrow hopefully, or during the course of this week if I don't have time. It just looks like a typical OB-1 from the outside, impossible to tell that there are souped-up drivers in there. :beyersmile:

5. Feilong4
    Hey @Ishcabible, do you mind if I send my YH-100 to you for measurement? I can pay for shipping for both ways.

I worked on a damping scheme and am interested to see how it performs. I'm prepared for the worst.

6. Hutnicks
    :) well if it is dampening rather than damping perhaps you should ship it in a ziploc bag. Or perhaps you have stumbled upon a hydropneumatic wave transfer system?

Sorry, pet peeve of mine with the wording there, much like the completely erroneous use of the word microphonics to describe the noise a cable makes when brushed against something.

I'll fade into the background now.

7. Feilong4
    Yeah, sorry I've seen it used both ways. I've even Googled it, but dampening sounds better to me for some reason. Noted.

8. Ishcabible
    Sure! I actually have an EARS coming in too whenever that starts shipping

9. Feilong4
    Cool! I'll PM you. Damn, it's slipping my mind at the moment - what is the EARS again? Isn't it a measurement system?

10. Ishcabible
  11. Feilong4
  12. WallofHooligans
    I also prefer dampening over damping. It's hard to argue the semantics of audio based words- half of the words we use to describe a sound don't actually make real sense. But now i'm thinking, what kind of acoustic properties does water have? Maybe I'll use glue to waterproof my next pair, and then fill the chassis with water and seal it :D
    It will be like those fishbowl dance shoes!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    GREQ likes this.
  13. Hutnicks
    It's not a matter of semantics whatsoever. It is simply a case of using appropriate terminology to describe a function. Then again, if you so choose to to teach your children that the accelerator is called the brake pedal, then evolution will of course sort things out for you.

GREQ likes this.
  14. Feilong4
    Well, damping vs dampening isn't life threatening so it's fine :o2smile:

Let's keep this thread about orthos.

15. WallofHooligans
    Nah, that's the beauty of words my dude- they are based on general consensus. That's how you get "pants" in America meaning "slacks", and you get "pants" in the UK meaning "underwear." Words are prescriptive, not descriptive.

But all this talk of semantics is a real damper.