Orthodynamic Roundup
Nov 17, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #25,231 of 27,137
Not necessarily. The reason why most of us never post up auctions here is because this is the 3rd most visited and historically active thread on this website.
Lots of lurkers, collectors and flippers also love this free information.

Nov 18, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #25,233 of 27,137
Well would it fine to post up ended auctions?

Like the Denon SH-90 that just ended on eBay? I wanted it so bad as its diaphragm seems like it's from a Fostex T30 which I've been hunting down.

Just thought it would be "exciting" in a way to tell of these auctions. I try not to post up auctions of ones that I'm watching because less competition :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #25,234 of 27,137
did you win those auction? the price got little bit out of control

Nov 18, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #25,235 of 27,137
did you win those auction? the price got little bit out of control

No I didn't. I really thought about bidding, but it did seem a bit high so I passed reluctantly.

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #25,237 of 27,137
I've hit on an incredibly good sounding mod with the Yamaha HP-50A. ( an understatement )
If I can translate this across other orthos i'm going to need a few crates of tissues to absorb all my tears of blissful joy.

Usually mods on older stuff like this can produce decent results, sure, but nothing that is so far beyond stock and perfect as this.
I've gone through so many I can't keep track of the mod variations through the 50 series variants.
HP-50A are generally the medium levels of low end, HP-50 ( no letter designation , no headband padding ) being generally known as most overtly bassy within the beige lineup.

So with HP-50A in mind it is as follows.

• obvious re-cable and rewiring insides from mono to stereo single sided entry
  • remove any of the stock white damping paper material both sides , or whatever is in there stock. Also remove stock foam. Work with bare drivers in bare housing only.
  • rear of cups= metal cup hinge divots filled level with Newplast plasticine
  • bond drivers to baffle rears using thin Dynamat strips pressed around edge circumferences of drivers ( careful to not reverse the orientation of backside and frontside of drivers, I did do that once yikes...)
  • on driver rears, apply Sorbothane ( I used 1/10 inch 30D ) on outer driver areas surrounding the holes. 4 pieces, rounded edges to follow the outer curvatures and inner facing edges of the Sorb are straight edges.. all corners of the Sorbothane should be touching so that you end up with essentially a square free area inside the Sorb application ( think elongated lemon wedge shapes ).
  • first damping square pad against the driver rears was HOBBS Rough Silk quilt batting. =THIS LAYER IS KEY . Rough Silk batting is generally not ideal as an immediate damping material as it is fairly porous and transparent, but is has to be doing a little bit I would think.This should be the same dimensions as the square area with the Sorbothane so it is right in the slot against the driver
  • next over top of that is a square Arctic Cotton ( I think %100 cotton version ) or another %100 cotton AC quilt batting equivalent. Fits within the sorb area same as the Rough Silk layer. Make this the same square size as the Rough Silk.
  • next a very thin disc of foam ( maybe 1-3mm thick ) with notches to fit around/poke through the 4 rear tiny cup riser posts, of course this rests in the cup rears.
  • simply snap it all back together, no worries about sealing cup to baffle seam
  • new pads here are AKG K518 aftermarket

This mod is so far beyond the earlier ones it's difficult to describe adequately. The key to it was adding in the first damping the driver sees as the Rough Silk batting, which allows the driver some more room for throw( less restriction ) before it encounters the Arctic Cotton layer.
The AC layer is just far enough away now that combined with the cup rear reflections and the AC's own inherent sonic abilities, things are perfectly detailed. No shrill top end but it's not lacking. AC is still in effect even with the added slight distance resulting from the Rough Silk layer.
Spaciousness has gone through the roof.
Separation is incredibly good.
Edges of notes are not blurred.
Distortions must be way down I can follow off tiny vocals and intricacies of note bodies
Nice full grumblings and organic aspects around note edges. Nothing thin. Gorgeous overtones .
Bass quantity up not overbearing.
Bass quality, deep tight, not much left of the slurry Yammie type bass.
=everything in this presentation is even across all volume ranges

^And to my ears it all adds up and integrates perfectly.
Add all that up and it's blissful yes.
Descriptions never do justice to actual experiences.
yeah and all that on what was otherwise an average "lowly" HP series can.
NO LONGER. So get that bias out of your minds for now. I know what you are thinking.

I'll see if can convince a well known friend to try this out, if they are willing to take the time to do so.
just to reinforce that i am not out of my mind.

* No alkeehol or other substances were involved in the making and determining the sound of said mod above.

** This may in fact be one of the much talked about "Desert Island" cans so often mentioned in ancient lore

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #25,240 of 27,137
Care to provide some pictures of how you have it arranged? I'm not sure I entirely follow what you've done. Also, is plasticine important to the overall picture, or can we use some less annoying options like blu tack or other mold-able materials?

Blutack is fine it's just a matter of filling the dip in the cup hinge recess in the rears so they are level/flush with the cup rears. , that's all.
The materials used though are very specific in the mod. AC and rough silk and the sorb.
I can fire some out if you want.
This is a verrry old picture of the sorb application arrangement from an older very sloppy trial mod, it is the general idea but the part by the driver's tab there ideally would be one more solid bit or as close to that as possible.
As you can see the center area is a square shape, so that's what the material damping squares fit into.

Older sloppy mod trial pic here: Obviously the cuts should be better and the holes a bit more available than is shown.
DSCF7980.JPG

*****CORRECTION on pads used, these appear to be 65mm - 70mm pads, not K518 ones. Whatever stock diameter is ..i give up .
K518 might work but will be hanging out a bit, plus not all aftermarket K518 pads have a wider rear lip.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #25,241 of 27,137
Anyone know whether this is a Fostex diaphragm? The seller said it might be from a Fostex T30. This was from the Denon SH-90 listing I mentioned the other day that's ended.

It really does look like a diaphragm from a T30. I've only seen pictures though.

Edit: Clarification, not my picture. if only it was :beyersmile:

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #25,242 of 27,137
Looks like the one in my T30. But the one in my T30 looked a lot like the one in my old Sansui too though they were slightly different and different sizes. It might just be some Fostex OEM made for Denon.

Nov 20, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #25,244 of 27,137
Looks like the one in my T30. But the one in my T30 looked a lot like the one in my old Sansui too though they were slightly different and different sizes. It might just be some Fostex OEM made for Denon.

Damn, maybe I should've made the last second bid.. It was a bit high, but I've been hunting the T30's for a while and this would've been the next best thing.

100% Fostex T30.
Damn... looks like Feilong4 is the 'new kid on the block' :D

I've been in an ortho craze as of late haha. Tinkering is very fun and very rewarding. Results are more obvious with orthos as well. I've done some mods to a Beyerdynamic T1 and HD650 that's supposed to "improve" the sound, but the differences are not very obvious if there was any difference.

Oh I forgot to mention, but that picture isn't mine. It's from the listing. You'll know it's my picture if it's on a grayish bed sheet or a black table top haha.

I'll be keeping an eye out for these and/or the T30's. You guys will tell me if one ever goes for sale, right? :D

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #25,245 of 27,137
I find it hard to believe that the Grundig 223 are that lacking given the multitude of mod materials around.At least some of the newer things.

But where do you draw the line between keeping the thread active, and dealing with showing discoveries. No answers here.

I wonder why certain things are getting out of hand while others are not.
Take for instance the Technics 820 and especially the 830.
It's a free world sure, but lately prices so far beyond reasonable these days it's nearly insulting and laughable.
There's very limited modifiability as well inside those things.
Plus very limited amounts of amps can drive them portably.
Plus, unless you enjoy a warm lush sound that is extremely difficult to modify otherwise without special supplies that cost more $ ,well nevermind.
Overall =ridiculous IMHO :)
^ oh especially considering every single set of pads are toast on those. Down to fabric.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back