Orthodynamic Roundup
Mar 5, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #22,486 of 27,177
  They're a major PITA to disassemble and they're not worth the asking price IMHO.

Do you have one of those? I would have expected it to open up exactly like all the other PMB headsets.

I fully agree about the asking price, it's way too high when you have no idea about how hard it would be to make it sound good.

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #22,488 of 27,177
You can use the ruined pads as leverage to drop the price.  They are most definitely not normally white, the black pleather coating has completely disintegrated and worn off on them and will ruin the sound the way they are now, at least they will have less bass and not sound stock. You will need to find near exact inner and height dimensions in a set of replacement pads.
Impedance: 2 X 140 ohms
Sensitivity: 90 dB/mW
Frequency response: 16 - 23,000Hz

I guess if you are a collector the Burwen branding doesn't come up all that often so it might be of interest, but a lot of other options out there as people said for that price. Look like a beast to drive.

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #22,489 of 27,177
well MDR I am catching up slowly.
beerchug.gif
(YHE-50A not shown.)

Still a bit of catching up to do, and bit of cleaning up to do also :) Also i need to adjust the numbers the top left one was sent out to a really great pal down south. ( git on them suckas you might be very happy with the results )

No problem though got another one eyed up, or two
ph34r.gif

Allright time to come clean the set on the top left were sent to BMF of all people . Can you imagine the terrible mod mess he will make out of those ( joking of course ) I'll have to get schooled once again  and revisit mine I am sure after that character is done wrangling with them.
popcorn.gif

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #22,491 of 27,177
  still love my HP50A , pressure on the ears are the only issue I have after an hour or so of listening. But oh so worth it for the enjoyment..dB

A bit of a tangent, but has anyone else noticed that most of the better sounding vintage headphones have piss-poor comfort? My Pioneer SE-6 doesn't sound even close to my Monitor 10 but I can wear it for hours on end. The Monitor 10, however... not happening. They put a dent in the top of my skull within 20 minutes of use.

Other examples are the Sony DR-Z7, Pioneer SE-700, and of course the non suspension-banded Yamahas. All of them clamp like a vice. If it's not weight, it's clamp. It's as if they were incapable of combining comfort and sound quality back then...

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #22,492 of 27,177
nah nothing is off topic so long as it bumps this worthy thread.
You have a point there. I guess the competition was not as fierce maybe so there was less concern in the design stage?  Or possibly people were not as fussy since there were less portable usages and therefore fewer actual users?
 Certain things it makes me wonder itf the designers ever tried them  at all really, that goes for dynamics also

BTW you have me searching for some Z5-7s now dammit.

dBel84 how have you got yours damped if you don't mind sharing? ( PM if so , or not
ph34r.gif
)

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #22,494 of 27,177
haha well only if you feel "somehow " compelled to, they sure are fancy looking.
wink_face.gif

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #22,495 of 27,177
  haha well only if you feel "somehow " compelled to, they sure are fancy looking.
wink_face.gif

Yes, they are beauties in great condition.  And I owe you!

I look forward to taking them for a "spin" once the re-cable job is complete. 

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #22,496 of 27,177
No big secret as to how I modded them , but I don't remember :). I know they went through several iterations as most modding goes and they have not been touched for a good ~ 6 years. I will dig about my files and let you know. 

The biggest challenge I have had with these is to disassemble the cups to make them dual entry. My personal pair was one of the first I had come across and it is still single entry but I replaced all the wiring. 

as for vintage and comfort. I would disagree that they are all uncomfortable. The HP1/2//YH100//YHD are all comfortable stock for me and can be worn for hours. Same can be said for the fostexen, the early T20 even had massive ear cushions. The original isodynamic from wharfedale had generous pads with a padded headband. There are more examples of both comfortable and uncomfortable, so I would not generalize in the ortho realm. 

good luck BMF , looking forward to seeing what magic you weave. 

..dB

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #22,497 of 27,177

as for vintage and comfort. I would disagree that they are all uncomfortable. The HP1/2//YH100//YHD are all comfortable stock for me and can be worn for hours. Same can be said for the fostexen, the early T20 even had massive ear cushions. The original isodynamic from wharfedale had generous pads with a padded headband. There are more examples of both comfortable and uncomfortable, so I would not generalize in the ortho realm. 

I didn't mean EVERY vintage headphone, just most of the ones I've owned. Koss gear in particular is uncomfortable as sin. My SE-500 is a thin-padded clamp machine. The Sansui SS-20 literally gave me a headache just from wearing it. The Stanton Dynaphase Sixty weighs more than an LCD-2. All of these (some after slight modification) sounded good to my ears at one point or another. Then I get ahold of some really comfortable headphones -- my ATH-6D, SE-6, and former YH-1 -- and I just never really found myself satisfied with their sound. (I didn't try to mod the Yammies though.)

BTW you have me searching for some Z5-7s now dammit.

Everything is going as planned. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

FYI, if you find a Z5 first and don't like it, know that the Z6 and Z7 sound entirely different from it. 

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #22,498 of 27,177
I wonder if this thing can print on thin plastic film: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1597902824/agic-print-printing-circuit-boards-with-home-print?ref=live

A pen is included to draw circuits by hand.

We also need a 3D magnet printer to get a complete driver.

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #22,499 of 27,177
  I wonder if this thing can print on thin plastic film: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1597902824/agic-print-printing-circuit-boards-with-home-print?ref=live

A pen is included to draw circuits by hand.

We also need a 3D magnet printer to get a complete driver.

Load up an inkjet cartridge with conductive ink and away you go
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #22,500 of 27,177

Load up an inkjet cartridge with conductive ink and away you go
biggrin.gif

They actually have that these days, but the technology is still rather new. Not good enough for complex circuits, but a driver? Hmm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back