Orthodynamic Roundup
Mar 6, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #21,271 of 27,141
Here's one I've been meaning to toss out. Has anyone considered driving a tensioned ribbon in a headphone enclosure with one of those little Dayton Audio Tactile Transducers? http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=240-610 This thing has a wicked freq resp range. I am thinking along the terms of a drive rod in the same way a balanced armature works. In an enclosed space like a headphone cup you ought to be able to get up to some pretty good mischef.

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #21,272 of 27,141
just looked at my HOK80 drivers and a similar thing no lined up holes, or very few and those that are are simply random. I needed to clean up the old build on them because the window putty i used seems to not like copper, as in it turns it blue fast.
 Also have to add some additional Arctic Cotton layer to bump up some highs. Other than that i was surprised at what they had going on, at least with this build anyhow.

Open rears and stock headset.

I'll see about using an LED flashlight now to triple check the alignments/lack thereof ( yes completely off one had some outer holes then the other had some inner holes.

Mar 7, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #21,274 of 27,141
Quote:
Looks pretty ravagey to me. Now we know it's a pleated diaphragm, so thanks for doing that. As for why HOK (and others) sometimes made drivers where the holes lined up perfectly and sometimes not, I don't know. Since you said you notice a change in the sound with a slight alignment, I was thinking hey, maybe they're doing it to tweak the FR of drivers so they match more closely, but that sounds too crazy to be true.

Given that the paper slip mod (i.e. covering a certain part of the driver's front surface) improved the sound, I think it's time now to start sealing up individual holes to find out which configuration works best... Curiously, though, the paper slip mod seemed to work the same for both drivers even though their magnets aren't aligned in the same way.

Quote:
just looked at my HOK80 drivers and a similar thing no lined up holes, or very few and those that are are simply random.

I wonder how they're aligned on the second version HOK?

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #21,276 of 27,141
Was it someone in here who grabbed the spanky N.O.S. TDS-15 yesterday?  Looked like it even had different coloured mesh over the ears, blue and red tinged, hadn't seem that before. The pictures of it, I sat there staring for about 5 minutes just so nice looking.

edit:  guilty party has been uncovered :)

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #21,279 of 27,141
Cool. Do you measure with an ear or ear canal, i.e. do you apply HRTF?

Also, do the phones really take that much of a dip in the treble? And do they really have no bass hump stock?

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #21,280 of 27,141
That's a nice looking plot. Really good bottom extension, and there's that flat ortho magic region in the middle. The dip at 2kHz on the csd is practically caving in on itself... cancelling node of some sort? The ringing at 3-4kHz could probably be damped out rather easily. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #21,281 of 27,141
Quote:
Cool. Do you measure with an ear or ear canal, i.e. do you apply HRTF?

Also, do the phones really take that much of a dip in the treble? And do they really have no bass hump stock?

The measurements are without ear canal. 

Quote:

Highs- I think the highs are bit rolled off, I would have liked bit more sparkle.

This is what my impressions were before I took measurement , so yes there is dip in treble.

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #21,283 of 27,141
| would be enormously curious to see what effect running an EQ like Electi Q on those would have. Particularly on the 2k dip.

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #21,284 of 27,141
Related to that, I did modding by EQ - though convolution rather than manual - on the HP-50 a while back. http://www.head-fi.org/t/111193/orthodynamic-roundup/20625#post_8801594. The left channel was modded by the conventional methods of felt etc., while the right channel was stock and had a convolution filter created from the left channel applied to it. The result: perfectly identical channels. In other words, modding by EQ was much like modding physically.

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #21,285 of 27,141
Curious. Since I am about to acquire a YH-3 and T20 RP as soon as I can get one of my evil minions down to the PO box to pick em up, I am really interested here. I would have thought that software EQing would have introduced some artifacting along the line somewhere. If that is not the case, as you measured, the  and android eq program is going to be very high on my list of "must haves"

As an afterthought, if in fact this can be achieved by software then it should also be repeatable via a simple (sic) hardware solution along the lines of the device etymotic uses to EQ ER4P's to ER4S spec. This would be a slick way to go as it would leave the phones untouched for resale. Time to start digging around for the old mic's I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back