Orthodynamic Roundup
Mar 9, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #21,286 of 27,141
I also did a manual EQ thing. http://www.head-fi.org/t/111193/orthodynamic-roundup/20505#post_8727076 (raw graphs). Same idea - first mod the phones with felt until the sound is decent, then measure the response, remove the mods, and manually EQ the stock configuration until it measures the same as the modded one in frequency response. In the end, it didn't take too much effort to match the responses, and the decay measured much the same too.

I wondered what the point of doing physical modding was when the same could be done with EQ. But I did kinda think the sound was a slight bit more harsh with the EQd version - whether this was real or imagined I don't know. The benefit was that you lost no soundstage since you didn't need to put any extra material into the cups. (Though this raises the question of where the soundstage is if not in the frequency response or decay.)

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #21,287 of 27,141
I wonder if the harshness could be caused by the software delay EQing causes? It could in fact be a very mild artifact?  Really it should not be that hard to smooth out.

Be a neat idea if everyone could standardize on an eq program and have an online library of settings for various headphones.

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #21,288 of 27,141
Hey all,

noticed that the HP-3's (or YH-3's) have been mentioned a few times lately. I recently picked up a pair. Overpaid, but they're in great shape. I've been wanting a pair of Orthos for portable/traveling use. I use a 4th gen. iPod with a LOD running into an AMB Labs mini^3. The AMB drives the vintage Yamahas to adequate volume although I can't really crank it. And, the battery life suffers, but I probably should get a new battery soon. I Also have a great pair of YH-2's that have been modded to great success. I'm just too paranoid to take those out of the house.

The reason for my post is I wanted to share my modding efforts so far on the HP-3's and maybe get some advice for further improvement. (sorry, I didn't take pictures)

1. Out of the box (yes, they came with orig. box) they sounded good, but with muddy bass and rolled off treble. Sounds about par with what I've read. I don't think they're the bass heavy one. I also don't feel they're bass light either. Except for the muddiness the bass was just about right for my tastes. Serial 840747.
  2. The first mod I did was re-cable. Used a mint stock Sennheiser HD600 cable I had laying around. Older version that is slightly thinner and has 1/8" plug. Cut the length to half which is just about right for bus and train riding. Immediately noticed the headphones were a lot less dark. Bass was still muddy, but better. Treble rolled off about the same. What really jumped out was the improvement in the mids (reason for not seeming as dark?). While not profound, it was a significant improvement.
  3. Next step was some damping experiments. I suspected the muddy bass was due in part to the stock foam damping. Took that out. Replaced with open celled aquarium filter foam that I also used in my YH-2's. But, first I cut approx. 1/4" strips of thick craft felt and lined the perimeter of the cup to dampen the vent holes. If you can picture standing the felt strip on edge and creating a circle. I cut the foam disc slightly over-sized and used that to hold the felt ring in place. Put them back together. Immediately noticed much improved bass with greater sense of space. However, the treble had a harshness that I didn't like.
  4. Next I kept the above in place, but added a thin craft felt doughnut between the foam and the back of the driver. Back together. Bass got even tighter and had good extension. Harshness to the treble was gone. But now the treble had a hollow/ nasally/ honky quality.
  5. Next I added a reflex dot (cabinet door bumper) into the concave depression of the cup pivot. I suspected this cavity was causing a weird resonant node. This did eliminate the weirdness in the treble region. Now it's still rolled of, but does sound pretty natural otherwise.

So here I stand. Pretty happy with the sound. Very close to my YH-2's with the exception of the rolled off treble. Don't appear to have sacrificed too much efficiency so still viable as portables. Not sure why the YH-2's don't have as rolled off treble since they appear to be nearly identical drivers. Seems like they should be closer cousins?

Now what I'm thinking is that maybe the reason the treble is slightly distant and rolled off is that the small cup size and untreated plastic surface is reflecting the treble frequencies back and cancelling part of itself out. I asked myself, why would it only do that on the upper registers? I imagined that since the higher frequencies travel faster it is catching up with itself. My idea for a solution is to treat the inside of the cup with an acoustical damping compound. Thinking something like painting "Plasti-dip" on the surface. Since this would be irreversible I thought I would ask experienced Ortho modders if I am barking up the wrong tree?

I had great success using a similar substance on the cups of my Fostex T50rp's. They sound freaking fantastic with lots of shimmer and detail to the high frequencies with excellent mids and realistic bass. None of that hollow/honky quality they had stock.

Thoughts on my plan? Other ideas how to improve the treble of the HP-3?

-Dogwan

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #21,289 of 27,141
WOW! 48 hours later and not one post since mine.

Did I say something wrong?
blink.gif

So unusual for this thread.

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #21,290 of 27,141
Lol. That happens to me too--when I post no one posts after me for like days or never. I often wonder if I've shocked them into silence or if what I've said just has no answer.

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #21,291 of 27,141
Quote:
WOW! 48 hours later and not one post since mine.

Did I say something wrong?
blink.gif

So unusual for this thread.

March break. Everyone is busy trying to repo their headphones from the kid who commandeered them for the duration.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #21,293 of 27,141
Purrin has been up to his shenanigans again and kindly brings to us the NAD RP18 measurements. 

The 5K dip is an artifact; he thinks it might be caused by a little ringing. Now we all have affirmation why Wualta likes the T50v1 

..dB

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #21,295 of 27,141
RP18 with O2 pads certainly had really hard hitting big bass but apart from that it did not offer better resolution/definition than the yamaha models. 
I still think among vintage orthos yamaha HP1 is the one to beat. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #21,296 of 27,141
The RP18 achieves what few of the vintage orthos do - soundstage. I love my HP50 but the lack of comfort keeps me from using it too often. The RP18 with the right pads ( not O2 ) is very linear and open sounding. I find them to be very enjoyable and if they belonged to me, would default to them for daily use. 

..dB

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #21,297 of 27,141
Quote:
RP18 with O2 pads certainly had really hard hitting big bass but apart from that it did not offer better resolution/definition than the yamaha models. 
I still think among vintage orthos yamaha HP1 is the one to beat. 

I am now using Hifiman pads (Don/RD ganged up on me and made me switch
beerchug.gif
)  with the RP18 and what Don said above is correct - they sound very open & linear now. Not as much  bass as with O2 pads but I do not miss that at all.We should probably set up another meet so you could listen to them yourself.
My yhe50 transplant has also come along very nicely & you would probably be interested in that one too.

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #21,298 of 27,141
Quote:
The RP18 achieves what few of the vintage orthos do - soundstage. I love my HP50 but the lack of comfort keeps me from using it too often. The RP18 with the right pads ( not O2 ) is very linear and open sounding. I find them to be very enjoyable and if they belonged to me, would default to them for daily use. 

..dB

For soundstage , yes definitely it sounds grand compared to the very stereo sounding yamahas but the pair i heard did not have linear FR.
The HP50 that Gurubhai gave me sounds so good that i sold HE400 in 2 weeks (Yamahas totally crushed it) & after having heard his HP1 have no urge for getting LCD2 now.

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #21,299 of 27,141
Quote:
I am now using Hifiman pads (Don/RD ganged up on me and made me switch
beerchug.gif
)  with the RP18 and what Don said above is correct - they sound very open & linear now. Not as much  bass as with O2 pads but I do not miss that at all.We should probably set up another meet so you could listen to them yourself.
My yhe50 transplant has also come along very nicely & you would probably be interested in that one too.

Sure bro. How about next weekend? 
My YHE50 transplant turned out to be a big FAIL!
Having realized i won't be able to do them justice, I'll bring along the drivers & you can make them your test subject
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #21,300 of 27,141
I concur with the soundstage issue, but it's curious that you (dB) find the HP-50 uncomfortable. They fit kinda ok on my head - maybe a bit tight, but not too much. Though, I rarely do a listening session longer than 20-30 minutes.

I took the HP-50 to the girlfriend's place today to let her try them for the first time - she does some amount of choir singing, so I thought she might appreciate the sound. As she put the phones on her head, the first comment was that they seemed comfortable. Unfortunately, her onboard Realtek chip couldn't handle the HP-50 too well; there was practically no bass and only just enough volume for a normal listening level. What she found about the sound, regardless, compared to her KSC75, was that the singers' consonants (like 'k') sounded especially clear - to the point she could visualize them being physically produced. The KSC75, she said, kinda just blurted the consonants out. She seemed to really enjoy (approaching what looked like eargasm level) a particular singer with the HP-50, who she said sang more in the upper registers - where I guess the lack of bass wouldn't be such a problem.

All in all, the HP-50 got a better reception from her than the HOK 80, even though the HOK had the benefit of being run off a proper amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back