Orthodynamic Roundup
Mar 13, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #19,306 of 27,185
Depends, I think.  Probably the metal.

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #19,307 of 27,185
Unless you're going into production, I'd recommend getting a 70's headphone for the headband.  There's tons of cheap vintage phones with pretty nice, cushy metal headbands that look and feel great. 

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #19,308 of 27,185
Quote:
Depends, I think.  Probably the metal.

That's what I though, assuming the same volume.

Quote:
maverickronin:  not trying to tell you what you should do or how you should do it, but if you plan to make/design your own headband i seriously suggest taking an element from the sennheiser 650 headband design if you already havn't.

It kind of funny that the HD650 has that since they're so light and have enough clamp that pretty much none of the weight rests on top of your head anyway, or at least my head when I owned them.  I do love the idea though.  Its great for comfort.  I'll have to experiment with it some, but my headband idea is a cross between an AKG and an AT which will keep pressure off the top of the head.

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #19,309 of 27,185
Great idea.
Those full-sized AT's with the winged headbands just float on your head.  K501 as well as far as AKG.

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #19,310 of 27,185
maverickronin:  So you're thinking about the type of headband that uses two large wires to increase clamping power and reduce contact with the top of the head.  Kinda like this?

http://bartkowalski.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Headband-design.jpg

I found that type of headband hard design for adjustment so i abandoned it for a normal band of metal design.

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #19,311 of 27,185
Quote:
Unless you're going into production, I'd recommend getting a 70's headphone for the headband.  There's tons of cheap vintage phones with pretty nice, cushy metal headbands that look and feel great. 

I could probably do that but I'd rather just make exactly what I want.

Quote:
Great idea.
Those full-sized AT's with the winged headbands just float on your head.  K501 as well as far as AKG.

They're going to be pretty heavy so they probably won't exactly "float" but I'm hoping for some degree of comfort.  Since mass is good for reducing resonances and increasing isolation I'm not really worrying about anything that might happen to add a little more like the idea of aluminum baffles.  I'd probably go with steel or something completely crazy if it was easier to work on with my dremmel.

I think the only thing I ruled out due to weight was lead sheeting...

Mar 13, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #19,312 of 27,185
Quote:
maverickronin:  So you're thinking about the type of headband that uses two large wires to increase clamping power and reduce contact with the top of the head.  Kinda like this?

That's sort of like it.  The overhead wires are going to attach to the back of the cups near the bottom more like they do on AKGs though.  The wires will provide clamping pressure below the ear.  They won't be joined anywhere else either so they'll have plenty of flexibility to fit your head.

The wing arms will be made of aluminum and tensioned with an extension spring.  They'll be attached to the back of the cups near the top so when you put them on the spring will pull the top of the cup against your head and provide pressure of a good seal from two different angles.  The side that pushes against the head will have large curved pads.

This combination should hopefully (I haven't built it yet, but I did make some mockups of different wing mechanisms with popsicle sticks, a hand drill, some tiny machine screws, and some different springs...) provide some useful benefits that make it worth the effort.  It should have good articulation without any small, fragile, or multi axis joints.  I only need on joint per wing and its just going to be a machine screw through a few pieces of aluminum.  It should provide good seal between the pad and the head that doesn't break with small head or jaw movements without relying on excessive clamp and it should distribute the weight over a larger area of the head than a typical headband.

Adjustability can be a problem with this sort of design since some people love it and other hate it.  I'm only making these for myself so it doesn't matter too much if no one else who doesn't have the same head isn't the same size and shape of mine finds them too comfortable but I'm going to work on adding some adjustability to the design that the AKGs and ATs lack with thing like different mounting points for the springs to change the tension on the wings and screws to move the wires in and out from the cups to adjust their clamp.

I probably did an awful job explaining that.  Maybe I should try and draw a picture.  I can't draw too well either but it might work out.

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #19,313 of 27,185
I think you described it pretty well, almost makes me want to try that type of design for the headphones i have planed out for myself.  However i don't think i could get the wings right, just seems really complicated to create such a joint and have it actually do it's job without paying a lot to build it.

Anyway i have a question as to what a frame that holds in a diaphragm should be made out of.  Does anyone think it's important to make the frame for the diaphragm out of something that is static-resistant? It feels as if something that holds a static charge like most plastics(acrylic, poly, nylon) would interfere with the diaphragm.  The only thing that i can even remotely find that would be cheap are phenolic laminates, the stuff used in pcb's if I'm not mistaken.  Does anyone know if pcb's are static resistant?

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #19,314 of 27,185
I just looked at a 'stat that's open right now that uses a huge driver and is seated in the same plastic the rest is made out of. I would think it would be more concerning if it were an electrostatic , if at all,  rather than the ortho. Just my two cents. I don't think there's any special considerations mounting an ortho driver other than to secure it in place. If you could find a static resistant plastic then use it anyhow. Do you have an Industrial Plastics shop nearby you could go into and ask around?

If you used balloon-type rubber you could rub it on your head before you take it off and stick it to the ceiling. Instant headphone stand!

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #19,315 of 27,185
Mar 13, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #19,316 of 27,185
Whoa, a DIY electrostatic?

Aluminum is easier to work with a dremel than steel if I'm not mistaken.

Mar 13, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #19,317 of 27,185
i'll probably end up with paper laminate phenolic

http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRIT2?PMAKA=63410724&PMPXNO=1989411&cm_re=ItemDetail-_-ResultListing-_-SearchResults

it's cheap enough, stronger than acetal, AND my dad gets a discount w/ free shipping since he works at a machine shop.

edit:

does anyone think these are planar? they sure look like they could.  The headband doesn't look to adjustable..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NORDMENDE-HEADPHONES-ON-EAR-VINTAGE-JAPAN-225-1960s-VERY-RARE-WORKS-VTG-HTF-/200714051442?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item2ebb7d5f72

Mar 13, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #19,318 of 27,185
Quote:

Making a decent DIY 'stat is actually way easier than DIY-ing any other within-a-mile-of-common type of transducer.

Also, aluminum might as well be butter compared to a reinforced dremel cutoff disc. OTOH you'll spend a lot of time and a lot discs trying to cut any appreciable amount of steel with one.  The regular cutoff discs might as well be butter compared to steel.

Mar 13, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #19,319 of 27,185

Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/498292/my-diy-electrostatic-headphones

Even better.
Quote:
i'll probably end up with paper laminate phenolic

http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRIT2?PMAKA=63410724&PMPXNO=1989411&cm_re=ItemDetail-_-ResultListing-_-SearchResults

it's cheap enough, stronger than acetal, AND my dad gets a discount w/ free shipping since he works at a machine shop.

Sounds perfect.

Magnets.com got back to me. Way too expensive for a sample run. Looking at other options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back