Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Mar 24, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #61 of 1,608
Here are my early less than 40 hour impressions (aging time of the player). I've listened to this DAP collectively for 6 hours:
  • DSD playback: I'm very impressed by DSD performance of this player. I compared it directly with Lotoo Paw Gold which I use exclusively for DSD playback. Too early to tell, I need way more time, need to use my analytical IEM. But I've to say dp-s1 on DSD album is performing way above its price point
  • ACG vs Balance: Can't tell any significant difference between the two balance out feature. On my DP-X1 the difference is more noticeable,
  • Digital filter: This has to be the first DAP that I can actually hear the performance of the difference filters. Whether that is a good thing or not I can only speak of it in the near future.
  • Batter life: After the 6 hour mark, however with minimal screen usage the battery indicator is near halfway mark. I play a mixture of various files, volume set at 34 using LOW gain. So far so good!
  • Heat: Cool to the touch which is a change! All my other daps do get warm which means I cannot place it in my shirt pocket. I haven't yet taken it outdoors in the Sydney sun. The black color might be a nice heat magnet!
For 500 AUD delivered express in two days from Amazon Japan this player seems to slowly wining me over in a big way. Now going back on whether it truly can beat players like LPG or WM1A please remember we are talking about players 3-6 times its price range. Currently out of balance out of 1A I can tell 1A has a more 3D soundstage and a large spatial present compared to DP-S1 but honestly for what I will use the DP-S1 I dont think I will ever care. I just want a player to be truly portable, light weight, fit in my shirt pocket and last a day with plenty of storage space and DP-S1 offers all that.

For those who wonder how AK70 compares against DP-S1, as a stand alone DAC/DAP DP-S1 wins with no contest. However UI and features on Ak70 such us OTG to other DAPS, AK connect, wireless music download perhaps might make Ak70 a better option. But for me AK70 overheated too much for me to successively use outdoor and I find the sound to too digital and balance out simply wasn't impressive at all. 

Thanks for your review!

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #63 of 1,608
Give it a custom eq ? and with how many bands on the rubato ?

Remember the rubato the time postion of the track.after off and on. ? Important for long dj sets

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #64 of 1,608
This is the EQ for the Pioneer Private.

Each time if you turn off and on the player again, you need to go and select your song manually either from library or folder view.
It does not resume at all.

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #65 of 1,608
Thankks
10band eq is great, but no resume is not very comfortable. Hope the players get it after a firmware update.

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #66 of 1,608
If only it was android... i'd like Spotify to be in, unfortunately the similarly priced X5iii doesn't sound good with what I have..

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #69 of 1,608
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1048517.html&prev=search

In addition to that, we are considering updating firmware including Spotify and domestic distribution service, and we are going to ask users' comments in the future. By continuing to add functions in the future, he says, "I would like to draw shapes that can support even transfers to high-end products."

Ohhh that looks promising now..

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #72 of 1,608
I only tried the pioneer SE CH9T with my Cowon PD, and in my opinion it is one of the best iem around $100. Easily destroys the shure se215. It has a slight V shaped signature with clear highs and fast, strong bass which was fun to listen to.

Thanks for this. I am really linking the dps1, they have voiced it quiet natural. It is a very engaging little gem. Currently pairing it with T8iE MKII and IM04 and the two IEM do quiet well with dps1.

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #75 of 1,608
One initial problem is for the DPS1 Disk Number is not used to sort by, thereby scrambling multi disk albums. And resynching of the 128GB MicroSD card each time I restart the device, and as this is taking over an hour to achieve, it's all rather tedious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back