Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Mar 30, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #76 of 1,608
One initial problem is for the DPS1 Disk Number is not used to sort by, thereby scrambling multi disk albums. And resynching of the 128GB MicroSD card each time I restart the device, and as this is taking over an hour to achieve, it's all rather tedious.

Yes I noticed this too. Only solution is used folder view. Also you can turn of auto sync so that should help you with that. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #78 of 1,608
Here are my early less than 40 hour impressions (aging time of the player). I've listened to this DAP collectively for 6 hours:
  • DSD playback: I'm very impressed by DSD performance of this player. I compared it directly with Lotoo Paw Gold which I use exclusively for DSD playback. Too early to tell, I need way more time, need to use my analytical IEM. But I've to say dp-s1 on DSD album is performing way above its price point
  • ACG vs Balance: Can't tell any significant difference between the two balance out feature. On my DP-X1 the difference is more noticeable,
  • Digital filter: This has to be the first DAP that I can actually hear the performance of the difference filters. Whether that is a good thing or not I can only speak of it in the near future.
  • Batter life: After the 6 hour mark, however with minimal screen usage the battery indicator is near halfway mark. I play a mixture of various files, volume set at 34 using LOW gain. So far so good!
  • Heat: Cool to the touch which is a change! All my other daps do get warm which means I cannot place it in my shirt pocket. I haven't yet taken it outdoors in the Sydney sun. The black color might be a nice heat magnet!
For 500 AUD delivered express in two days from Amazon Japan this player seems to slowly wining me over in a big way. Now going back on whether it truly can beat players like LPG or WM1A please remember we are talking about players 3-6 times its price range. Currently out of balance out of 1A I can tell 1A has a more 3D soundstage and a large spatial present compared to DP-S1 but honestly for what I will use the DP-S1 I dont think I will ever care. I just want a player to be truly portable, light weight, fit in my shirt pocket and last a day with plenty of storage space and DP-S1 offers all that.

For those who wonder how AK70 compares against DP-S1, as a stand alone DAC/DAP DP-S1 wins with no contest. However UI and features on Ak70 such us OTG to other DAPS, AK connect, wireless music download perhaps might make Ak70 a better option. But for me AK70 overheated too much for me to successively use outdoor and I find the sound to too digital and balance out simply wasn't impressive at all. 

Any updates on sound impressions my Friend? I like the x1A, but only balanced of ACG. I actually find balanced and ACG to be nicely resolving and spacious, with balanced wider but a little to panned out, and ACG deeper, a tad less Wide but much better layered.

Can I ask how the s1 compares after running in On the different outputs of SE bal and ACG?

Mar 30, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #79 of 1,608
Any updates on sound impressions my Friend? I like the x1A, but only balanced of ACG. I actually find balanced and ACG to be nicely resolving and spacious, with balanced wider but a little to panned out, and ACG deeper, a tad less Wide but much better layered.

Can I ask how the s1 compares after running in On the different outputs of SE bal and ACG?

Lately I haven't had a chance to test it. It has been setting on my table playing random tracks.
I am told the major FW will be released by June so prior to that all impression should be read with that in mind.

I will check those things you have asked me this weekend and report back. I like to also compare it directly against the X1.

Mar 30, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #80 of 1,608
Lately I haven't had a chance to test it. It has been setting on my table playing random tracks.
I am told the major FW will be released by June so prior to that all impression should be read with that in mind.

I will check those things you have asked me this weekend and report back. I like to also compare it directly against the X1.

Thank you :) btw is yours the x1 or x1A? I heard he X1A is a noticeable improvement.

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #82 of 1,608
Next problem with the device is that it is really erratic as to whether or not it can see its 2 microSD cards and internal storage at the same time. It seems random as to what actually shows up - maybe 2 cards and no internal storage, maybe 1 card and internal storage, maybe just 1 card, so far never all 3 at once... Performing syncs tends to lose what it can see rather than adding - a second ago I could see two cards and no internal storage, I resynced, and now can only see one card. Is anyone seeing this problem?

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #83 of 1,608
I had a quick go with the player at e earphone and I think it sounds excellent at the price point, it's a rich and organic sound, and unlike its older sibling where I liked ACG best, the balanced seemed to be best for it. However SE was no slouch either, unlike its older Brother. I forgot to test it out as a transport but I will hopefully when I make my next trip. If it works as well as my soundaware Esther m1pro studio edition as a transport sonically, it is the perfect stack for the mojo.

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #84 of 1,608
If it works as well as my soundaware Esther m1pro studio edition as a transport sonically, it is the perfect stack for the mojo.

I thought it can not work as a transport - no otg feature released.

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #86 of 1,608
Let me Try it out and report back.

Otg is not for transport, otg is to read flash drives

Yes, please.
On the DP-X1 / 300R microsub port is used for data transfer to an external DAC as well.  
I use 300R as a transport for my Vantam with OTG cable.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #88 of 1,608
Interesting player. Since MQA is coming with the June firmware update, it would seem TIDAL compatibility might also be added. If so, I've found my hiking DAP.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #89 of 1,608
Oh, I forgot to ask, is the DP-S1 made in Japan or China?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back