Nuforce uDAC2 for Hifiman He-500 and Schiit Lyr
Jul 2, 2012 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

saffyg

New Head-Fier
I was looking into purchasing the Hifiman HE-500 and Schiit Lyr. I already own a Sennheiser HD598 and NuForce uDAC2. Is the uDac-2 a good enough DAC for my headphone and combination or should I be looking into purchasing something higher end?

Jul 2, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 7
I would sound pretty good tbh. If you want the best sound you might as go ahead and get the Bifrost.

gL!!

Jul 2, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 7
 I'd suggest the new Tenor TE8802 USB board equipped Audio-gd 3.2 DAC with dual Wolfson WM8741
 Look at the parts you are getting for $339USD - this thing will open up a can of whoop ***** on the
 BiFrost in my opinion.

Jul 2, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm trying to figure out if i want go to He500 + NFB 10.2 or the NFB 15.2.  The price different is huge, i don't know if is worth it to go balanced.
Although balanced cable and the NFB10.2 will produce insane power.

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #5 of 7
Ive been posting this round the forum these few days.. Its just now that i found an active thread (more or less)

I currently have the Bifrost + Lyr and Im thinking of going planar magnetic 
o2smile.gif

However, Isnt the lyr slightly too powerful for the 38 ohm HE-500? Ive read that (and ive been told that) its a good combo... but im not quite sure.

Im also not 100% sure if the HE-500 is the right headphone for me yet. I absolutely loved the HE-6 (and the HD-800), but I didnt like the LCD-2. I hope the HE-500 is slightly more forward than the LCD-2. 

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Ive been posting this round the forum these few days.. Its just now that i found an active thread (more or less)

I currently have the Bifrost + Lyr and Im thinking of going planar magnetic 
o2smile.gif

However, Isnt the lyr slightly too powerful for the 38 ohm HE-500? Ive read that (and ive been told that) its a good combo... but im not quite sure.

Im also not 100% sure if the HE-500 is the right headphone for me yet. I absolutely loved the HE-6 (and the HD-800), but I didnt like the LCD-2. I hope the HE-500 is slightly more forward than the LCD-2. 

It is definitly not too powerfull, the Lyr drives the He-500s to where they need to be. I was a bit unimpressed with the Lyr and He-500 combo at first listen (good sound, but not what I expected) then i tried some Siemens & Halske tubes and wow. 

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 7
Yeah it's definitely a good enough DAC. Don't be fooled by it's small size, DAC's don't have to be very large to work well, the HRT ones for example are like a box of markers and they're quite excellent. I've owned all the pieces of equipment you're about to buy and I was satisfied with all of them.

The Bifrost is probably something you should look into, but there are better DAC's for the money. DAC upgrades are very unnoticeable to my ears, it's either you have a good one or you don't. DAC-fi probably has been one of the least rewarding aspects of this hobby haha.

If you're wondering what better DAC's there are, the Head Room Micro desktop, HRT II MS+ ($349), Nuforce HDP (one of the best DAC's and it's an AMP!), and NFBII (superior amp to the HDP)

I personally use an HDP because as a DAC, I haven't been able to beat it and I run LCD-2's so I don't even need that much power. Form factor, price, appearance, and ease of use are all a home run to me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back