My initial impression of AD2000
Mar 6, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #61 of 100
And while your at it. AD2000 vs RS1?

Both are very good metal cans from what I've read, but which one wins for rock/hardrock/metal? Which one is most allround?

EDIT: Better as in which one do you(anyone) prefer? What about the mids, are they very similar? Both are very coloured from what I've read.

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #62 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
niiiiiceeee, another addition to team AD2K
biggrin.gif

Those magical mids....
biggrin.gif

Whose mids are more magical: the AD2000's or the K501's? : )

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #63 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by zanimation /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any good tube amps under $400 that would go well with this?

There's actually lots that can be said about this and others can jump in too if I'm off the mark.

Lots and lots of quality valve budget amps out there but red is right; it's normally an easier match with high-imp cans (senns and akgs). Low-imp cans need current; which means either a massive power supply (to supply the current consistently across dymanic swings) and great tubes (to accurately control the high current signal) - ala Singlepower amps - or a really good transformer coupled (TC) stage. A transformer in the output stage is in such a delicate and crucial position being right at the end of the chain before the phones. Many will admit winding transformers for an output stage is a bit of a black art. Lots of companies make them, but rarely well. I'm lucky to have a world-class TC and single ended (SE) deisgn by Yamamoto whose designer winds the transformers in-house which guarantees consistently and quality throughout production and great sound.

I think in the $400 range SS is the way to go, lots of good designs out there with different sound sigs, one must strike your fancy. If I was looking for an SS amp tomorrow I would look at the ECSS or g-lite.

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #64 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And while your at it. AD2000 vs RS1?

Both are very good metal cans from what I've read, but which one wins for rock/hardrock/metal? Which one is most allround?

EDIT: Better as in which one do you(anyone) prefer? What about the mids, are they very similar? Both are very coloured from what I've read.

It really depends on what type of sound you prefer... but... they're very similar.

The RS-1s sound a wee bit warmer and richer, and the bass may extend a wee bit more into the lower mids, sounding a bit more full. They sound exceptional with acoustic music - very organic and textured.

The AD2000s sound a wee bit cooler, and the bass is a wee bit tighter, and extends less into the lower mids. The mids and highs sound a wee bit more clear and pristine, and more airy... and... they have a bit bigger soundstage. They sound exceptional with strings, whether steel, or electronic, or whatever - very crisp.

Of course your set up will affect both of them quite a bit - SS a bit cooler and clearer, sharper... and... tubes a bit warmer and richer.

I think I personally prefer the AD2000s with a tube DAC and tube amp - they seem almost "magical" with my set up (and I'm sure similar ones).

So there you have it... if you want a bit richer, warmer, organic sound with a lot of weight - the RS-1s. For accoustic guitars, mellow sax, a bit more "bloomy" bass, and warm vocals, etc. I'd choose the RS-1s.

If you want a wee bit more pristine, clear, airy sound... while still being somewhat rich and warm, with good pace and impact - the AD2000s. For steel guitars and strings, and shimmering cymbals, etc. I'd choose the AD2000s.

They're no easy answers here - that's why I still have both - can't decide which I really prefer. But... I think I lean to the AD2000s.

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #65 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quantity wise
HD650 > AD2000 >= K271S > W5000 > DT880
As you can see it falls somewhere in between W5000 and HD650
Quality is on par with Zu recabled HD650, may be a tad tighter, can't tell for sure yet without doing A/B, imo W5000 has better quality bass, more focused and detailed.

All right, update on THE bass.
I must admit that this is the best bass I have ever heard out of the headphones. It is definitely higher than K271S quantity wise, but what makes it so unique is that it's unusually tight and fast. It hits so hard and disappears so quickly like there is no decay at all. That prevents it from overshadowing mids and masking details. I am not a bass-head person, most overly bassy cans usually give me earache because of the air pressure they create. With AD2000 I do not feel pressure or any bass induced air movement at all, like driver's membrane does not even move during bass attack.
eek.gif

Try Tool's Vicarious from 10,000 Days to see what I mean, seriously it must be one of the best tracks to demonstrate what they are capable of bass-wise.
There are certainly a lot of similarities with K271S sound signature otherwise.

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #66 of 100
Quote:

All right, update on THE bass.
I must admit that this is the best bass I have ever heard out of the headphones. It is definitely higher than K271S quantity wise, but what makes it so unique is that it's unusually tight and fast. It hits so hard and disappears so quickly like there is no decay at all. That prevents it from overshadowing mids and masking details. I am not a bass-head person, most overly bassy cans usually give me earache because of the air pressure they create. With AD2000 I do not feel pressure or any bass induced air movement at all, like driver's membrane does not even move during bass attack.
eek.gif

Try Tool's Vicarious from 10,000 Days to see what I mean, seriously it must be one of the best track to demonstrate what they are capable of bass-wise.
There are certainly a lot of similarities with K271S sound signature otherwise.

were you listening to it with your gilmore lite, or GS-1? or Pico?
I might be considering getting rid of K701+Bada PH-12 combo altogether to invest in a gilmore lite.

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #67 of 100
Quote:

were you listening to it with your gilmore lite, or GS-1? or Pico?
I might be considering getting rid of K701+Bada PH-12 combo altogether to invest in a gilmore lite.

Geez, do you monitor this thread? (j/k)
wink.gif

DA100 with GS-1.

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #69 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lovely piece mate, made me want to go and audition them again - but then with my head, AT phones just don't work

Same here, they are either too loose (W5000) or too tight (AD2000). Need to do some headband bending/stretching exercises to make them usable.

Mar 8, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #71 of 100
Andrew,

how much better are the AD2000 than the K271S? You note that they sound really similar.

I might just buy the k271S if they are close to the AD2000 and they are like $400 cheaper too.
biggrin.gif

Also, I was thinking about getting DT880s but Ive been reading that they are lean on the bass. I want the bass haha but not the too much bloated bass. The bass on these AD2000 seem perfect. Do you think it would be a good idea to save up for these cans?

Mar 8, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #72 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by moomooemu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Andrew,

how much better are the AD2000 than the K271S? You note that they sound really similar.

I might just buy the k271S if they are close to the AD2000 and they are like $400 cheaper too.
biggrin.gif

Also, I was thinking about getting DT880s but Ive been reading that they are lean on the bass. I want the bass haha but not the too much bloated bass. The bass on these AD2000 seem perfect. Do you think it would be a good idea to save up for these cans?

Similar signature does not necessarily mean they are equal or that close. AD2000 is more refined, has better details (but not by much), wider soundstage, bigger, tighter and harder bass (the biggest difference), and is very fast.
K271S bass is relatively tight by average headphone standards, but sounds fuzzier in comparison with AD2000 hard balls. They also also seem to be a pinch slower and not as PRaTty (still very good, just AD2000 is super fast). The mids are very similar (K271S might have just a bit more emphasis there), same slight treble roll-off, which means both are non-fatiguing in a long term. Both are very well rounded and smooth sounding without anything aggressive sticking out. K271S with velour pads is also more comfortable for me, the clamp of AD2000 is just unbearable. And K271S is harder to drive. I would say they can be a cheap way to familiarize yourself with AD2000 signature or if you like AD2000 and need closed phones for isolation, they can be a good candidate for this role.
Used in comparison K271S is also Zu recabled.

Mar 8, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #73 of 100
Andrew, how is burn-in process? has it shown a lot of change since 0 hours to ~ your current burn-in time? I have no idea how mine was like prior to burn-in as they already had 350 hrs on them.

Mar 8, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #74 of 100
Quote:

Andrew, how is burn-in process? has it shown a lot of change since 0 hours to ~ your current burn-in time? I have no idea how mine was like prior to burn-in as they already had 350 hrs on them.

They have about 40 hours by now, there are some subtle improvements, seems to have better details and tighter bass, but no major changes to the signature or any other magic transformations.

Mar 8, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #75 of 100
Quote:

They have about 40 hours by now, there are some subtle improvements, seems to have better details and tighter bass, but no major changes to the signature or any other magic transformations.

thanks!
biggrin.gif

let us know if there are major changes!
I would like to know how my experience is different from other members - since AD2000 is the best sounding 'phones I've owned, I may love them too much to judge them objectively. I once heard K1000(most hi-fi 'phones I've tried so far), but that experience was too short for me judge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back