Multiple IEM Shootout v.3
Oct 14, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #256 of 297
I am still thinking of a rewrite on this with a different direction that makes it more useful as a reference meterial, and of course adding the newer IEM I have reviewed to the new thread as well. It is fairly massive so it will probably take quite some time to finish though.

Oct 14, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #257 of 297
ClieOS, Thank you for the great reviews, after spending way to much time going through you writeup decided to buy the iBasso D2 Boa (seems to be highly rated and inexpensive).  Where can I purchase?  Only through the iBasso website?

Thanks!

http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=42

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #258 of 297
If you can't find any local dealer, I think order it directly from iBasso if your best bet.

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #259 of 297
Clieos:
Could you please, comment a battle between the brainwavz M1 and the s-jays? i saw you reviewed them both.

i found the s-jays for 25euros and the M1 for 20 euros.
I want to buy a good cheap iem which could reveal what my cowon j3 has to offer, before jumping to a more expensive pair. (considering the dba-02, panasonic zirconia. q-jays, brainwav m3, phonaq PFE)

If there is another worthy rival below 30, please mention him. like a-jays or meelectronics m6 for example.

Nov 5, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #260 of 297
If SQ is the only concern, get the M1; If you want a nicer package / better build / stylish IEM, get the s-JAYS. M1 sounds nicer than s-JAYS, more balanced, detailed and dynamic. Though s-JAYs @ 25euro is a pretty good deal as well.

Nov 6, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #262 of 297
Quote:
thanks for the fast reply!
Mmm so the difference is big? I think i will stick with thr brainwavz then.

Won't say it is big, but it is quite noticeable.

Nov 6, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #263 of 297
I have three IEMs i'd like to talk about.Two of which excel at one end of the frequency range too much and one that is a perfect reference IEM that i use to discover music.The first one is Audio Technica ATH-CKS70.Which has the abundance of bass that would satisfy most "bass heads".But at the expense of the other frequencies.Very good sound stage.Bass impact and extension that mimics full sized headphones.But is slightly bloated and because of the recessed highs overwhelms most recordings.But not all.Some recordings bring out that recessed high frequency.Now the second IEM is my JVC FX500s.Now i know when sibilance is mentioned in a thread more than once.That there is need to heed.I was seduced by the beautiful wood chamber and mentions and comparisons of the Atrio type of deep bass.While the detail is there in heaps.So is the sibilance,which is hard to get used too for some.Very analytical with well defined dynamic reproduction,great sound staging with deep bass when the music demands it.But for me the bass was missing the full impact i like and i was trying different chamber filters to try to rectify the sibilance and increase the bass impact at the same time.While i thought i was making progress it could of been just a placebo effect.I think the chamber design is the problem.Now to my reference IEM which has everything i want in a IEM with none of the other IEM's cons.The Atrio M5 V2 are considered something of a phenomenal IEM by some including me.Mainly because of the hard hitting,impactful bass with extension found in full sized cans,that blend very well in the overall dynamic reproduction.Very musical and transparent with the necessary speed that makes it an IEM that reproduces all genres of music that is true to the recording.Vocals,guitars,bass guitar and especially percussion are all beautifully heard.Some may want some more defined highs.But i think any more would cause some recordings to enter sibilant territory.In fact some consider it slightly sibilant as is.For me the highs are perfect.Mids may be slightly recessed depending on opinion.I don't think they lack mids.Sound staging is reproduced nicely and depending on the recording but is true to the music.And is sufficient enough to enjoy any genres which demands it.And that could sum it up.It has the dynamic and great frequency definition that is more than sufficient to enjoy any music with very little if any fatigue.

Dec 8, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #264 of 297
Thank you very much for these iem reviews ClieOS.

I really had much time spending reading them and obtained very valuable informations. Simple thank may not be enough...

I have question in my mind for a time. Since I live in Turkey and did not have opportunity to test most of the iems in the city where I live in I can only get advices. So I need your help.

I have a bunch of iems and for now my top iem is a Denon AH-C710.

I have enjoyed its sound signature for a while but now I beleive that my ears are maturing :)  I really dont need that very overpowering bass. I need more detail (clarity), spacious sound with good soundstage. I need balance betwen treble, mids and bass. Also I need musicality and isolation. My upper limit is 160-170 USD (upper limit is on parallel with the prices of DBA-02 and DDM).

So I look for the BA iems but from most of the reviews in head-fi I can see that BA's are not delivering musicality (because they are very accurate and dry sounding iems). So I beleive that the iem that I need does not exist in the universe (at least in my price range)!

I am enjoying the sound of my Koss KSC-35's (heavly Kramer modded and recabled, also cross 75 ohm resistor modded) very very much. I know its another type of earphone but an iem which can deliver better details (than KSC-35) can satisfy my needs. I really like the sound signature of KSC-35's (for me it was still very good before the mods).

Do you have any suggestions for me? I will be really more than glad for your advise. (right now I have in my mind: Eterna, Silver Bullet, PFE 121 and DBA-02. DDM could be on the top of the list if it had better isolation). Thanks.

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #265 of 297
Can't say I know one IEM that will fit everything you want. DDM and SIlver Bullet both fit what you want except for isolation. Another choice will be RE262, which you can picked up from the For Sale forum in around your budget and it will be the only IEM I'll recommend over DDM for musicality, though RE262 isn't the easiest to drive IEM around.

Dec 9, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #266 of 297
Thank you for your reply.

So should the PFE 121 and DBA-02 be certainly out of my list (the latest reviews made me thinking of DBA-02)?

So why didn't you suggest Eterna as well (may be because of the heavy bass?) ? From your reviews I can see that it is rated higher than the Silver Bullet...

I have a custom mini-amp with dual buffs and 227p dual opamps. Also I am purchasing a Fiio E-5 just because of curiosity. If these amps are ok for  driving a RE262 I can certainly think of it as well.

What are thoughts about the sound-stage and space of the RE262 sound?

Dec 9, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #267 of 297
Quote:
Thank you for your reply.

So should the PFE 121 and DBA-02 be certainly out of my list (the latest reviews made me thinking of DBA-02)?

So why didn't you suggest Eterna as well (may be because of the heavy bass?) ? From your reviews I can see that it is rated higher than the Silver Bullet...

I have a custom mini-amp with dual buffs and 227p dual opamps. Also I am purchasing a Fiio E-5 just because of curiosity. If these amps are ok for  driving a RE262 I can certainly think of it as well.

What are thoughts about the sound-stage and space of the RE262 sound?

Neither PFE or DBA-02 are particular musical, at least not quite when compared to other IEM you can buy. Eterna is a special case - the v2 doesn't sound as good as SB, the original v1 has been discontinued and a new batch is said to be re-released soon but I am not sure if it will sound just as good as the original v1, thus I am not ready to recommend it yet. I think the amp you have should be more than enough for RE262. Soundstage on RE262 is pretty good. Not the best but definitely better than most.

Dec 9, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #268 of 297
Great Stuff!! Seriously, I mean that is some feat, bought a Brainwavz M2 (never knew it even existed before I saw head-fi) and it is just awweesome (not that I have many other to compare) but I think its just what I wanted!! Thank you for making this as easy as reading!! What do you think would be next step?? (I cant believe I am already thinking this!!).

Dec 9, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #269 of 297

Quote:
Great Stuff!! Seriously, I mean that is some feat, bought a Brainwavz M2 (never knew it even existed before I saw head-fi) and it is just awweesome (not that I have many other to compare) but I think its just what I wanted!! Thank you for making this as easy as reading!! What do you think would be next step?? (I cant believe I am already thinking this!!).

Go slow - if M2 satisfies you for the time being, stay with it.

Think about what you exactly need - M2 + a few things more / less? Something totally different from M2? Then hunt for it.

Dec 9, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #270 of 297
I think more or less some improvement can be done on the source side, I have a cowon S9 which I am thinking of pairing up with some amp, if at all it helps...

Quote:
Quote:

Go slow - if M2 satisfies you for the time being, stay with it.

Think about what you exactly need - M2 + a few things more / less? Something totally different from M2? Then hunt for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back