Multiple IEM Shootout v.3
Apr 11, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #196 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leavenfish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see any mention of it, but are the Phonak's a phone that would benefit in any meaningful way by being amped?

Mostly I carry around a Sansa Clip, and can't imagine amping the thing...kind of runs counter to being portable to me.

Some people think the PFEs are better amped, but i didn't notice ANY improvement with the Headsix and LOD. And out of my s:flo² they don't sound better either.

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #197 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some people think the PFEs are better amped, but i didn't notice ANY improvement with the Headsix and LOD. And out of my s:flo² they don't sound better either.

That's good to know. I have a Sansa Clip and a Fuse and have been toying with the idea of getting these for some time now...keep finding other phones that catch my attention for under $200, but I keep coming back to these as a possibility. Can't see amping a Clip because of the small form factor.

Apr 12, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #199 of 297
For under $200 you can do better than the PFE, especially if you buy used in the For Sale forum here.

Apr 12, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #200 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leavenfish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see any mention of it, but are the Phonak's a phone that would benefit in any meaningful way by being amped?

Mostly I carry around a Sansa Clip, and can't imagine amping the thing...kind of runs counter to being portable to me.

I have used it with Fuze and Nano4, as well as straight from 3MOVE (which is part of the review gear I used) and don't find very significant improvement, thus I rate the ABF (amp beneficial factor) as low. I don't think you will need to worry about amping PFE as long as you have a decent source.

Apr 12, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #201 of 297
hey ClieOS, i was wondering if you could update the apple iem price range, they could easily be found on ebay for 25, it'd be awesome was that much closer to be getting your Sonic Diamond Award
beerchug.gif

also a question, in the low price range (under 40), would it be best if i got iem's or headphones? thanks
beyersmile.png

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #202 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by thetank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey ClieOS, i was wondering if you could update the apple iem price range, they could easily be found on ebay for 25, it'd be awesome was that much closer to be getting your Sonic Diamond Award
beerchug.gif

Price and rating adjusted. The eBay deal would probably never get any better at this point even if the price is lowered again. It is hard to give higher rating given it is used item with no packaging and little to no warranty.

Quote:

also a question, in the low price range (under 40), would it be best if i got iem's or headphones? thanks
beyersmile.png

If you need no isolation at all, there are a few very good sub $40 headphone that are pretty good, i.e. Koss KSC75, PortaPro. I think that main factor is where you will use the headphone and whether isolation is needed. If you are getting one for street use, IEM obviously has an upper edge. But if it is in door and mainly static, headphone will generally be better.

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #204 of 297
PFE mid range is indeed pretty good. It is a bit forward (which is great for vocal) but not too sweet (which could turns it to become mid centric). There are other that has sweeter vocal (SE-777 for an example), but none get it quite right as an overall blend, at least not at its price range.

Apr 13, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #205 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For under $200 you can do better than the PFE, especially if you buy used in the For Sale forum here.

Sorry, if I'm paying $200 or more, I want a warrantee still intact. Besides, everyone and their brother on here may be honest upstanding citizens...but I'm fairly new here and can't be expected to know who is more likely to be.

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #206 of 297
Quote:

hey ClieOS, i was wondering if you could update the apple iem price range, they could easily be found on ebay for 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Price and rating adjusted. The eBay deal would probably never get any better at this point even if the price is lowered again. It is hard to give higher rating given it is used item with no packaging and little to no warranty.

Not only that, they're probably fake:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/fak...k-list-351725/

fakeheadphones.com » Fake ipod earphones. A basic guide.

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #207 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not only that, they're probably fake...

There are some cheap real ADDIEM on eBay. Many have bought the real one from eBay seller 7dime, but his current price is around $40 and only ship in U.S. Still not a bad deal.

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #208 of 297
What an awesome set of threads.

Thank you very much for taking the time to put these together. A very valuable page.

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #209 of 297
A note on the PFE. EQing plays a huge role in how it comes across. Their published response graph shows how rough they are on the top end. Interestingly if you have the option to fine tune the response with some level of resolution, you can balance out this region and rather significantly improve the treble sound of the PFE.

A note on the midrange, the PFE with the gray filter and the ER4S/P share the same overall frequency response. The PFE has more energy but is less thick/textured on note. The PFE is more lively, clean, but the ER4S has a sense of more fine details and a significantly better sound stage. I'm more partial to the ER4S if the option was available versus the PFE. I've never used the ER4P, but taking out amp needs, the P will most likely be a better overall package in terms of sound reproduction than the PFE. I will say the PFE is more fun, but it lacks the sound stage and sense of balance and realism that something like the ER4 has.

There are plenty of other IEMs with good midrange that isn't vastly overshadowed by the other frequencies too. The CK10, the RE252, the SE530 if you want to get spendy and really specifically midrange specific. EQing of course works too.
wink.gif
The RE252 has become one of my favorite IEMs I've used. I'd argue it's the best dynamic driver earphone out there, outstanding balance, great sound quality, excellent extension on both ends, and the street price is tough to beat (got mine for $140). As well as I think of the PFE as a product, I think there are some others out there that are simply outpacing it. A number of the dual driver earphones like the CK10 simply cover the spectrum better and offer higher overall sound quality.

I'm really waiting for Phonak to give us a dual driver IEM. It's just that single BA systems lack the breadth. The SA6 was quite good about it. The PFE is pretty good. However, once you step to a dual driver, you get the whole spectrum and simply better coverage without forcing the ends. I'm so glad Sleek is coming out with the SA7 dual driver because the SA6 was so good but just short changed on range. The PFE shares the same fake, just as the ER4 does. I've long waited for Etymotic to develop a dual driver setup too. For a single driver, I think dynamic is just a better route and things like the IE8 and RE252 show what can be done with that format that so far hasn't quite been done with a BA driver.

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #210 of 297
Looking at the IEM's listed, mainly the Sonic Diamond and Head-Direct ones, I noticed that the price of the MEElectronics M9 has risen to $30.
Also, the Head-Direct RE1 now costs $79, the same as the RE0. So how do the RE0 and RE1 fare against each other? RE1 certainly looks like it has better packaging, if the Head-Direct shop photos are anything to go by. Also for the RE0, what is the new cabling like? Is PPE better or worse than knit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back