Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Oct 30, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #11,956 of 16,931
Recommending IEMs for a friend who has different tastes than I, plus I've never heard a near-reference system, but what would you suggest as the closest IEM to reference - but with excellent extension - for $100 - and for $200 - and would an under-$300 custom be hugely better than them? (Kozee X1, Custom Art...)

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #11,957 of 16,931
  Recommending IEMs for a friend who has different tastes than I, plus I've never heard a near-reference system, but what would you suggest as the closest IEM to reference - but with excellent extension - for $100 - and for $200 - and would an under-$300 custom be hugely better than them? (Kozee X1, Custom Art...)

ER4S from Etymotic (or HF if your friend on a $100 budget) would still be my rec for that. The Custom Art is a good reference but it has its own strengths and weaknesses vs the ER4S so it depends on whether he wants his earphone a little warmer (Custom Art) or a little brighter (ER4S)

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #11,958 of 16,931
Hi joker, wonders if you have heard the Cardas EM5813. If you do have, would you mind giving a little run down on the SQ. I do understand that you would prefer to evaluate thoroughly before putting up a review but would appreciate some of your general thoughts. Thanks.

Oct 31, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #11,959 of 16,931
Hi joker, wonders if you have heard the Cardas EM5813. If you do have, would you mind giving a little run down on the SQ. I do understand that you would prefer to evaluate thoroughly before putting up a review but would appreciate some of your general thoughts. Thanks.

Yes, he has posted a short impression. Here
I'll quote him here anyway, 

Cardas EM5813 Ear Speakershttp://cardas.com/earspeakers

Interesting design with the thickest cable I’ve ever seen on an IEM. I think a cable this thick might get annoying over time, though. Only one size of tips is included and the cheap pouch doesn’t fit the earphones properly. All of that wouldn’t matter if the sound blew me away but it hasn’t yet. It’s definitely not bad – warm and smooth, with a very good sense of space - but it lacks the clarity and finesse of the earphones I like in that price range. They remind me somewhat of a Monster Turbine Pro Gold with a little less bass, but the bass is still not nearly as tight and accurate as the similarly-priced HiFiMan RE-600, for example.

Oct 31, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #11,961 of 16,931
  Yes, he has posted a short impression. Here
I'll quote him here anyway, 

Thanks. Yeah, I gave it another listen later on and was still underwhelmed so I just put it aside. Too much veiling. 

Oct 31, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #11,962 of 16,931
Thanks. Yeah, I gave it another listen later on and was still underwhelmed so I just put it side. Too much veiling. 

Thanks for the initial impression joker! I was seriously considering those but I'm really used to clarity from IEMs like H200 and DN1000. Have you got any suggestions for the next step for me based on those two sound signatures? I wouldn't mind a bit smoother treble as long as the clarity is top notch. My budget is under $300. Cheers!

Oct 31, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #11,963 of 16,931
joker, you review of the music one is really intriguing... would you consider it an upgrade or side-grade form the RE-400 or gr07?

I have a pair of reshelled TF10s, but I could never wear them for long periods of time due to a slight fit issue making it fairly painful. How would you compare the TF10s to the music one? The silicone shells sounds much more comfortable than hard acrylic ones.

Oct 31, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #11,964 of 16,931
  joker, you review of the music one is really intriguing... would you consider it an upgrade or side-grade form the RE-400 or gr07?

I have a pair of reshelled TF10s, but I could never wear them for long periods of time due to a slight fit issue making it fairly painful. How would you compare the TF10s to the music one? The silicone shells sounds much more comfortable than hard acrylic ones.

I guess I'm also curious about this but there is a good bit of information in the M1 review regarding these two in comparison, so it really must depend on preference and trade-offs.  More details are always welcome though comparing the three.  I am considering the M1 as a single cIEM solution so I am trying to weigh the pros/cons myself since I have both of those mentioned already. 
redface.gif

Nov 1, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #11,965 of 16,931
Thanks for the initial impression joker! I was seriously considering those but I'm really used to clarity from IEMs like H200 and DN1000. Have you got any suggestions for the next step for me based on those two sound signatures? I wouldn't mind a bit smoother treble as long as the clarity is top notch. My budget is under $300. Cheers!

I haven't heard the H200 and haven't spent enough time with the DN1000 yet to have an opinion on it (I sent it off for a while to have measurements done). It does sound pretty good, though.

Ignoring those two, what signature are you looking for?

An upgrade, but not a sizable one.  There's a GR07 comparison in the review - I preferred the GR07's bass but the Music One's midrange and treble.

Music One vs RE-400 (this one wasn't in the original review in this format)
Music One has more bass, esp deep bass. It has that slight lack of bass texture that all of my silicone IEMs suffer from but it's not as noticeable vs the RE-400 as it is vs the GR07. It also has a thicker and more full-bodied sound overall while the RE-400 is leaner and a touch clearer in the midrange. Overall the RE-400 seems a little more mid-centric because it lacks the bass impact of the Music One. Treble quality is comparable.

I've never found a properly fitted acrylic shell uncomfortable. Silicone does have an advantage IMO but when everything fits properly the difference will be negligible.  

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #11,966 of 16,931
I haven't heard the H200 and haven't spent enough time with the DN1000 yet to have an opinion on it (I sent it off for a while to have measurements done). It does sound pretty good, though.

Ignoring those two, what signature are you looking for?

I like warm and balanced sound but don't mind a little bump in the highs for more air and sparkle. A bit v-shape I think. I did love the mh1c and xba 3 sound sigs.

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #11,967 of 16,931
I like warm and balanced sound but don't mind a little bump in the highs for more air and sparkle. A bit v-shape I think. I did love the mh1c and xba 3 sound sigs.

The Music One doesn't have a bump in the highs or a v-shaped signature. It is balanced/slightly warm but doesn't really sound like an MH1C (not as warm, not as much bass, midrange is more prominent) or XBA-3 (not as v-shaped, more neutral overall).

I guess when I've spent more time with the DN1000 I'll have a better idea of what would encompass an upgrade from that. GR07 Bass Edition, maybe? 

Nov 2, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #11,969 of 16,931
The Music One doesn't have a bump in the highs or a v-shaped signature. It is balanced/slightly warm but doesn't really sound like an MH1C (not as warm, not as much bass, midrange is more prominent) or XBA-3 (not as v-shaped, more neutral overall).

I guess when I've spent more time with the DN1000 I'll have a better idea of what would encompass an upgrade from that. GR07 Bass Edition, maybe? 

Yeah, thanks joker! I guess it's getting harder to find an upgrade at this price range...

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #11,970 of 16,931
Hey! For just a little difference (about 10 euros), it would be a better buy the Vsonic VC1000 or the GR07 MK2?
I was kind of sold with the VC1000 but then I found some GR07 MK2 in discount, so now I'm still undecided.
Which one has better soundstage? Which one has better detail? Which is more bright and/or have a better refined treble? And, is sibilance still an issue with the MK2?

Thanks in advance,
Nexodon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back