Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Aug 3, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #11,101 of 16,931
Quote:
Is your player an iDevice or a rooted android phone by any chance? You could get the UE600 and accudio for iDevices and have it simulate many many different earphones for you
biggrin.gif
(ue500 unfortunately not included) Or you could get Viper4Android and ask me to make a ue600 to ue500 filter for you
biggrin.gif

for android device , i like rock box . it rules but is complicated how good is viper4 .

Aug 3, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #11,102 of 16,931
Quote:

for android device , i like rock box . it rules but is complicated how good is viper4 .

Its claim to fame (for me anyway) is the ability to load impulse response files for convolution.  This essentially lets you export 90% of the sound processing effects out there (EQ, reverb, etc.) to your android.  My main application for it is to create precision crafted corrective equalization for my headphones using Electri-Q on the computer and export them to Viper4Android.  In the conventional sense, Rockbox has the best parametric equalizer out there for portable devices, but Viper4Android lets you load the most advanced EQ preset with one button once you've exported it from the PC (and editing an advanced EQ preset is much easier on a PC than on a phone anyway).

I've made a thread on correcting headphone response (like Accudio for apple) using Viper4Android here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2372750

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 3, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #11,103 of 16,931
Hello all, I'm in the market for a pair of CIEMs and have a budget of $1200, I am, however, looking for a specific sound. I have previously owned several pairs of Universal IEMs among which the Monster Turbine Copper had my favorite sound signature. After smoothing out the bass and bringing out the vocals I had a signature that I really loved and enjoyed until they were taken from my possession recently. I figured with your pooled experiences one of you may have discovered an CIEM with similar signature that has that same level of effortless fun in it. Thank you.

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #11,104 of 16,931
Quote:
Hello all, I'm in the market for a pair of CIEMs and have a budget of $1200, I am, however, looking for a specific sound. I have previously owned several pairs of Universal IEMs among which the Monster Turbine Copper had my favorite sound signature. After smoothing out the bass and bringing out the vocals I had a signature that I really loved and enjoyed until they were taken from my possession recently. I figured with your pooled experiences one of you may have discovered an CIEM with similar signature that has that same level of effortless fun in it. Thank you.

That sounds like a Westone ES5 to me. It's got a smooth signature with forward mids for prominent vocals. Bass is plentiful - it is the third bassiest CIEM I've heard after the Spiral Ear SE-3 and 1964EARS 1964-V. The Heir Audio 8.A has similar bass power and overall sound quality but it's got more laid-back mids, and since you had to EQ the mids of the Copper forward, I think the ES5, with its more forward mids, might be a better option for you (not to mention the price difference).

I haven't had a chance to add the ES5 to this thread yet but I reviewed it here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/totl-madness-24-top-line-custom-ear-monitors-reviewed-ljokerl

Aug 3, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #11,105 of 16,931
It seems like may be a bit too bass heavy, could you also recommend a few others just in case (I was considering UM as a possible candidate if that helps)

My primary genre is Acoustic, Alternative, Post-Hardcore, Punk and Ska with a primary focus on vocals.

Aug 4, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #11,106 of 16,931
@suman134 @ljokerl

With such positive response, I've decided to buy UE600. I'll let you know once I get my hands on them.

@Joe Bloggs
I will be using my headphones on Cowon E2, however I am purchasing HTC One. I will ping you then for Viper4Android filter. Thanks for the recommendation. However where could I read more about music EQ practices? I am really interested to try my hands on custom EQ modes!

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #11,107 of 16,931
Quote:
It seems like may be a bit too bass heavy, could you also recommend a few others just in case (I was considering UM as a possible candidate if that helps)

My primary genre is Acoustic, Alternative, Post-Hardcore, Punk and Ska with a primary focus on vocals.

It's bass-heavy by balanced armature standards, but you're coming from a Turbine Pro. Anyway, pretty much everything else will have less bass. The UM Miracle is pretty lean, it has a fraction of the Coppers' bass boost. The JH13Pro Freqphase would be a better option if you're looking for something closer to flat but not entirely lacking in bass, but again it does not sound like any Monster earphone I've heard.

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #11,109 of 16,931
First of all thank you for your wonderful thread, I am really interested to see where in your list would you place the ck100pro. I think it is the best universal IEM there is in the market, it is one of the most under-rated IEM there is. 

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #11,110 of 16,931
First of all thank you for your wonderful thread, I am really interested to see where in your list would you place the ck100pro. I think it is the best universal IEM there is in the market, it is one of the most under-rated IEM there is. 

If by underrated you mean that not many people have reviewed it then yea lol, but I haven't heard many people, if anyone, say it was anything but really good. It's one of those unfortunate IEMs that will likely never see widespread appeal, probably because it's expensive without having that niche company appeal.

The new FAD Heaven V and VI are likely in a similar camp. They have the niche company appeal but not many people will feel comfortable ponying up $300-500 on a single BA IEM.

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #11,111 of 16,931
Quote:
If by underrated you mean that not many people have reviewed it then yea lol, but I haven't heard many people, if anyone, say it was anything but really good. It's one of those unfortunate IEMs that will likely never see widespread appeal, probably because it's expensive without having that niche company appeal.

The new FAD Heaven V and VI are likely in a similar camp. They have the niche company appeal but not many people will feel comfortable ponying up $300-500 on a single BA IEM.

you got PM my friend :)

As far as CK100PRO goes I say under-rated as the infamous reviewers of head-fi and various audio-blogs have neglected reviewing this. Only Tai informally considered them as the best universal he has heard but their price point did not interest him. But with the current low prices ranging from 350-450 USD I think that places them in a category where many are able to risk purchasing them. 

Having auditioned W4, SE535,F111 and UE900 in my ears they easily outclass all those IEM. It even bested the EX-1000, meaning it kept all the good part of EX-1000 dynamic sound and added the goodness BA have with them in terms of accuracy and speed. 

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #11,112 of 16,931
you got PM my friend :)

As far as CK100PRO goes I say under-rated as the infamous reviewers of head-fi and various audio-blogs have neglected reviewing this. Only Tai informally considered them as the best universal he has heard but their price point did not interest him. But with the current low prices ranging from 350-450 USD I think that places them in a category where many are able to risk purchasing them. 

Having auditioned W4, SE535,F111 and UE900 in my ears they easily outclass all those IEM. It even bested the EX-1000, meaning it kept all the good part of EX-1000 dynamic sound and added the goodness BA have with them in terms of accuracy and speed. 

Ever since I first read about them, they've been on my try if you possibly can list. And I've always had a soft spot for Audio Technica since my first headphone upgrade was the CK7.

Anyway, that's quite an endoresement so I hope more people do give them a shot. Maybe then I can talk someone into giving me go at them. :D

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #11,113 of 16,931
Quote:

Unfortunately Audio-Technica doesn't deem the US audience worthy of their BA models. We just get the enhanced-bass junk. 

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #11,114 of 16,931
Quote:
@suman134 @ljokerl

With such positive response, I've decided to buy UE600. I'll let you know once I get my hands on them.

@Joe Bloggs
I will be using my headphones on Cowon E2, however I am purchasing HTC One. I will ping you then for Viper4Android filter. Thanks for the recommendation. However where could I read more about music EQ practices? I am really interested to try my hands on custom EQ modes!

For the most part, unless you're aiming hard at correcting the earphones, just twiddle the knobs and sliders until you get something you like, and remember to keep the signal level below clipping by lowering the preamp slider or keeping all the sliders below zero if there's no preamp slider.

People have written "guides" on EQing, like these
http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress

I wrote the last one myself and even I won't say it's up to much good
redface.gif
It takes either a lot of experience or more explaining than anyone cares to do.  I'm guessing the ones who found the right way to do it disappeared from the forums because they've found audio nirvana and are too busy enjoying music to explain how they did it
tongue.gif

The canned presets I'm making for Viper4Android should go a long way towards bettering the sound from a variety of phones but for the best results, custom tuning is still desirable
etysmile.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 4, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #11,115 of 16,931
Joker, which do you think I would like better, the FXD-80 or the EPH-100? I listen to rap and rock music, and sometimes a little jazz. Are the EPH's worth $60 more than the FXD-80s? I want good isolation and comfort, as well as a smooth sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back