Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jul 7, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #10,876 of 16,931
Hey Joker (or anyone for that matter :) )- of the CIEMs you have heard, which do you believe carries a signature closest to that of the HD800 or K3003?

I have had my K3003 for about 2 weeks now. Quite the step up from my GR07 and a leapfrog jump compared to the incremental upgrades I made over time to get to my HD800s. While I truly enjoy the sound that the K3003 provides (and find it difficult now to go back to the GR07 - which have become my workout IEMs), I can't help in the back of my mind but feel like I could have better spent that money on finally diving into the field of CIEMs (despite my original hesitations). This is different compared to the early "buyer's remorse" I had due to the law of diminishing returns with my HD800s (which I came to love love love very quickly after). I would rather save the cash and procure an upgraded amp/dac combo if I will be just as satisfied with something like the Alclair, 1964Ears or even the SE3 leaves some room for other upgrades. Unfortunately, it sounds like the SE3 may be out of the picture since it looks like they won't ship to the US anymore? But I have been giving serious thought to 1964...

Thoughts?

Jul 7, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #10,877 of 16,931

Unless you want the more forward mids and/or the adjustable-nozzle housings of the GR06 I would go for the VSD1.

Thanks for the advice. im also looking at the JVC HA FXD80  and the logitech UE 600, has anyone else also tried these and able to comment on the sound in comparison to the GR06/VSD1? 
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #10,878 of 16,931
I'm not aware of any <$200 dynamic customs other than re-shells.

Quote:
The VSD1 have the articulating nozzles :)

Any more time with the VC1000? The F.R. looks quite nice down low. Similar looking to the S1 down low. Any chance to compare those two? Dynamic vs. armature but the tuning seem similar.

Hmm... I thought VSonic had cut costs and just used a fixed nozzle. Turns out they were just extremely tight. Took a plier to move get them to start moving. Thanks 
beerchug.gif

The VC1000 is actually quite nice - not as much bass as the Fidelio S1 for sure but that's the biggest difference. The VC1000 is one of the best TWFKs I've heard. Working on the review. 

Quote:
Hey Joker (or anyone for that matter
smily_headphones1.gif
)- of the CIEMs you have heard, which do you believe carries a signature closest to that of the HD800 or K3003?

I have had my K3003 for about 2 weeks now. Quite the step up from my GR07 and a leapfrog jump compared to the incremental upgrades I made over time to get to my HD800s. While I truly enjoy the sound that the K3003 provides (and find it difficult now to go back to the GR07 - which have become my workout IEMs), I can't help in the back of my mind but feel like I could have better spent that money on finally diving into the field of CIEMs (despite my original hesitations). This is different compared to the early "buyer's remorse" I had due to the law of diminishing returns with my HD800s (which I came to love love love very quickly after). I would rather save the cash and procure an upgraded amp/dac combo if I will be just as satisfied with something like the Alclair, 1964Ears or even the SE3 leaves some room for other upgrades.

Thoughts?

There's nothing I've heard that matches the signature of the K3003 exactly. The 1964-V3 is one that comes to mind but compared to the K3003 it is
  1. Less v-shaped in signature
  2. More forward/intimate and not as layered in terms of presentation
  3. Touch more harsh
  4. A lot more sensitive

It's not an upgrade to the K3003 at all, just a different sound signature. 

The Reference, too, is different but not an upgrade. Compared to the K3003 it is
  1. More controlled at the low end but also its bass is not as deep and powerful as that of the AKGs
  2. Slightly wider in presentation but not as layered
  3. A little less bright

The Spiral Ear SE 3-way is not a good match for the K3003 signature. 

I'll throw in an option not yet listed in this thread - the Lime Ears LE3B (enhanced-bass version of the LE3), which so far I've only reviewed over at InnerFidelity. While it's still not as v-shaped as the K3003 in signature, the bass is very close. The bass boost of the LE3B is located lower down than that of the K3003 but I don't think you will miss the extra mid-bass of the AKGs. All it really lacks is the extra treble sparkle of the K3003 to make it sound similar overall.

It's the best compromise I can think of to get sound at least on-par with the AKGs while still spending less. The LE3/LE3B runs a little less than $700.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. im also looking at the JVC HA FXD80  and the logitech UE 600, has anyone else also tried these and able to comment on the sound in comparison to the GR06/VSD1? 
biggrin.gif

As mentioned on the previous page, the UE 600 and VSD1 don't sound similar. If you're deciding between those two you should first make up your mind as to what sound signature you want. 

Jul 7, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #10,879 of 16,931
There's nothing I've heard that matches the signature of the K3003 exactly. The 1964-V3 is one that comes to mind but compared to the K3003 it is
  • Less v-shaped in signature
  • More forward/intimate and not as layered in terms of presentation
  • Touch more harsh
  • A lot more sensitive

It's not an upgrade to the K3003 at all, just a different sound signature. 

The Reference, too, is different but not an upgrade. Compared to the K3003 it is
  • More controlled at the low end but also its bass is not as deep and powerful as that of the AKGs
  • Slightly wider in presentation but not as layered
  • A little less bright

The Spiral Ear SE 3-way is not a good match for the K3003 signature. 

I'll throw in an option not yet listed in this thread - the Lime Ears LE3B (enhanced-bass version of the LE3), which so far I've only reviewed over at InnerFidelity. While it's still not as v-shaped as the K3003 in signature, the bass is very close. The bass boost of the LE3B is located lower down than that of the K3003 but I don't think you will miss the extra mid-bass of the AKGs. All it really lacks is the extra treble sparkle of the K3003 to make it sound similar overall.

It's the best compromise I can think of to get sound at least on-par with the AKGs while still spending less. The LE3/LE3B runs a little less than $700.

Thanks for the response. I think my issues with the K3003 are a bit similar to that of the HD800s in the sense that I wish there was just a tad more low end. While I really enjoy what the K3003 has to offer, I do wish they were a bit more "fun" so to speak. Some tracks really wow me, but not all.

I do more analytical listening when Im at home with my HD800s, but never find myself tapping my foot or wondering if someone in the office will catch me bobbing my head with the K3003s. They certainly have their place in my collection but I feel like rather than having two options of such similar sound signature now, that I would like something to "get me into the groove" so to speak when I'm on the go. Im not really sure how best to describe it.

I will certainly take a look at the LE3B that you mentioned, thanks for that. I was even looking at the 1964-V6 for a bit just to see what it had to offer.

Jul 7, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #10,880 of 16,931
How are Knowles' TWFK drivers tuned by the 3rd party sellers (Brainwavz, Fischer Audio, Rock-It Sounds, VSONIC, etc)? We all know by now the scores for such dual BA headphones are the same or within 0.1 points. I'm sure a lot of people are wondering this. Is it just internal housing tweaks or housing material?

Are the TDK BA200 a Knowles driver? I received mine in the mail last week
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #10,881 of 16,931
The BA200 uses Sonion drivers as far as I've heard.

Jul 8, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #10,882 of 16,931
Quote:
How are Knowles' TWFK drivers tuned by the 3rd party sellers (Brainwavz, Fischer Audio, Rock-It Sounds, VSONIC, etc)? We all know by now the scores for such dual BA headphones are the same or within 0.1 points. I'm sure a lot of people are wondering this. Is it just internal housing tweaks or housing material?

From what I understand, Knowles will work with manufacturers to custom-tune their drivers (with a large enough order, I'm assuming). Also, I don't know about TWFKs, but certain other Knowles models, such as the ED, have several versions, which probably differ in sound. The rest comes down to physical design of the earphones - sound tubes, housings, external crossovers, etc. 

Jul 8, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #10,883 of 16,931
ljokerl, I'm looking to get a CIEM made and as isolation is key for me Spiral Ear 3-way ref seems to be the best fit. I'm not familiar with any of the iems you compare it to, so would you please give a few sentences based on any of these below, in regards to clarity, soundstage, tonal balance or whatever seems relevant to mention?

ety hf5, senn hd650, vmoda m-80, vsonic gr06, sony MH1c.

Thanks for an awesome thread!

Jul 8, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #10,884 of 16,931
Hi joker,

Hope you can help me out.
A few months ago bought the Wooduo. |Great bass IEM. Mids and highs were good, but its bass is excellent. Making me really enjoy my dance music or basically any songs with a good beat. Giving me BAss that I have never heard before from any headphone. But still to me...the bass a bit to much to make it my goto headphone.

Than a few weeks ago I bought the Go Dap GD3. And combined it with my Ipod Nano 5G. The sound when I combined it with the Wooduo was simply amazing. The GD3 enhances the mids and highs while teh wooduo still kept its great bass. And the result is almost perfection to me. Never been so close to a the sound I want. I would almost call it balanced or is it just a combination that i like.

Anyway could you suggest other headphones that would give the same sound as this combination or a headphone that is even better than the wooduo that i can combine to getthe same effect? So a tight and punchy bass with teh ability to get the sub bass.

Jul 8, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #10,886 of 16,931
Quote:
ljokerl, I'm looking to get a CIEM made and as isolation is key for me Spiral Ear 3-way ref seems to be the best fit. I'm not familiar with any of the iems you compare it to, so would you please give a few sentences based on any of these below, in regards to clarity, soundstage, tonal balance or whatever seems relevant to mention?

ety hf5, senn hd650, vmoda m-80, vsonic gr06, sony MH1c.

Thanks for an awesome thread!

A full review of the SE 3-way Reference can be found here. It does have the best isolation of all my custom earphones, but also the most bass. Clarity is good considering that it has a thick and bassy sound, not a balanced on like your Etys. Tone is neutral-to-warm. The soundstage is not too out-of-the-head, but well-rounded. Imaging and separation are good. The key characteristic for me is still the bass - when the track calls for bass these can really belt it out. If you want a more balanced-sounding custom there might be better options out there. The Sensaphonics 3MAX and Westone ES5, for example, both isolate nearly as well as my 3-way, though they are also pricier. There are cheaper silicone customs as well, though I have not heard any of them yet.

Quote:
Hi joker,

Hope you can help me out.
A few months ago bought the Wooduo. |Great bass IEM. Mids and highs were good, but its bass is excellent. Making me really enjoy my dance music or basically any songs with a good beat. Giving me BAss that I have never heard before from any headphone. But still to me...the bass a bit to much to make it my goto headphone.

Than a few weeks ago I bought the Go Dap GD3. And combined it with my Ipod Nano 5G. The sound when I combined it with the Wooduo was simply amazing. The GD3 enhances the mids and highs while teh wooduo still kept its great bass. And the result is almost perfection to me. Never been so close to a the sound I want. I would almost call it balanced or is it just a combination that i like.

Anyway could you suggest other headphones that would give the same sound as this combination or a headphone that is even better than the wooduo that i can combine to getthe same effect? So a tight and punchy bass with teh ability to get the sub bass.

There are very few earphones I've heard with the subbass of the Wooduo. The only one of the top-tiers that comes close to that level of subbass with better overall sound quality, IMO, is the Futuresonics Atrio MG7.

Jul 8, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #10,887 of 16,931
Hey, have a question for you.  After trial and error I've found that I really prefer headphones that follow a "smooth and warm" sound signature.  I've got a pair of Monster Yao Solars that follow this sig to a T but they're kind of lacking in ergonomics.  As long as I'm sitting still and listening to music they're great but I can't lay down or move around much.

The UE 600 seems to be a good replacement and I can get them at quite a reasonable price locally.  The problem I have is that I have very narrow, very highly angled ear canals and I generally have problems with deep insertion IEMs eg. Etymotic.  Do you think they would work for me?

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #10,888 of 16,931
Joker, any CIEM recommendations as an upgrade from A151? I thought about getting CIEM at first, but quickly give up on that idea because i thought i won't find any decent audiologists in my hometown and i was planning on working out and getting some additional weight mass. I recently found an audiologist recommendation and i'm just thinking about forgetting all those UIEMs comfort issues and getting a custom. If my ear canals change the shape with mass gain, i'll just reshell it.

I was initially set on ES5, but after reading grand CIEM article at IF again, some other sources and just rethinking my needs - i'm not sure i really want warm signature with mid-bass emphasis, even tho it looked like most non-fatiguing CIEM from the bunch. From the read, JH13 and NT6 seems to be too revealing of not so good recording material, with JH13 having bass emphasis and NT6 being quite bright. Not sure how non-fatiguing JH13 is, but i'm dunno if i could use NT6 for long periods of time - i got some problems with overly bright phones in the past, especially 'em being hyper revealing and in addition sibilant. Miracle looks interesting - spacious sound, laid-back presentation, balanced across the spectrum. Better treble than A151, maybe even tighter bass too? Not sure if that's it.

Anyway, hope you can help me out yet again.

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #10,889 of 16,931
There are very few earphones I've heard with the subbass of the Wooduo. The only one of the top-tiers that comes close to that level of subbass with better overall sound quality, IMO, is the Futuresonics Atrio MG7.

Wow that's quite a comparison.

How about with regard to Over/on ears? Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back