Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jul 10, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #10,891 of 16,931
Is there an IEM around $60 (maybe a little more) that is heavily isolating, and insanely comfortable for someone with hypersensitivity? The comfort issue should be fixable with a small enough tip (that still isolates. I have small ear canals and any pressure on the walls of my ear (shallow or deep insert) is highly painful. Maybe a foam tip would help? I'm not sure if that could cause pain. I was thinking about an etymotic, but I'm not sure if that would work.

If it is possible to have good sound to go with it, I would like it to be warm and smooth. I'd rather have amazing isolation and comfort then good sound from something that feels like fire to the ears, though.

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #10,892 of 16,931
Quote:
Hey, have a question for you.  After trial and error I've found that I really prefer headphones that follow a "smooth and warm" sound signature.  I've got a pair of Monster Yao Solars that follow this sig to a T but they're kind of lacking in ergonomics.  As long as I'm sitting still and listening to music they're great but I can't lay down or move around much.

The UE 600 seems to be a good replacement and I can get them at quite a reasonable price locally.  The problem I have is that I have very narrow, very highly angled ear canals and I generally have problems with deep insertion IEMs eg. Etymotic.  Do you think they would work for me?

I doubt the UE600 has as much bass as anything from Monster. It's a rather well-balanced earphone. They also probably won't work specifically for laying down on your side - the housing is positioned outside of your ear when wearing them. Something like the RE-400 is less likely to give you trouble when laying on your side.

On the upside, the UE600s are very lightweight and don't seem to be particularly sensitive to insertion depth. With the included Complys and a shallower seal comfort is excellent.

Quote:
Joker, any CIEM recommendations as an upgrade from A151? I thought about getting CIEM at first, but quickly give up on that idea because i thought i won't find any decent audiologists in my hometown and i was planning on working out and getting some additional weight mass. I recently found an audiologist recommendation and i'm just thinking about forgetting all those UIEMs comfort issues and getting a custom. If my ear canals change the shape with mass gain, i'll just reshell it.

I was initially set on ES5, but after reading grand CIEM article at IF again, some other sources and just rethinking my needs - i'm not sure i really want warm signature with mid-bass emphasis, even tho it looked like most non-fatiguing CIEM from the bunch. From the read, JH13 and NT6 seems to be too revealing of not so good recording material, with JH13 having bass emphasis and NT6 being quite bright. Not sure how non-fatiguing JH13 is, but i'm dunno if i could use NT6 for long periods of time - i got some problems with overly bright phones in the past, especially 'em being hyper revealing and in addition sibilant. Miracle looks interesting - spacious sound, laid-back presentation, balanced across the spectrum. Better treble than A151, maybe even tighter bass too? Not sure if that's it.

Anyway, hope you can help me out yet again.

The bass of the ES5 is really not bloated considering its quantity but if you're worried about that the JH13 or Miracle would be better options. I don't find either to be fatiguing. The Miracle is more laid-back and balanced while the JH13 has a few db of bass boost and a more forward presentation. Here's what I wrote previously regarding the JH13 vs Miracle:

Quote:
Compared to the Miracle, the JH13 has more midrange presence (and a more forward presentation), better clarity, and more mid-bass by a few dB. The JH13 is more punchy and impactful but also a little more resolving overall. I suppose it could be called more analytical when it comes to how it presents music. The Miracle’s treble seemed a touch smoother to me but overall they are similar in presence and extension at the top.

Quote:
Wow that's quite a comparison.

How about with regard to Over/on ears? Any suggestions?

I'm not big on over-ears these days. Of the old stuff the M-Audio Q-40 had quite a bit of subbass but I'm sure there's something newer out there that fits the bill even better.

Quote:
Is there an IEM around $60 (maybe a little more) that is heavily isolating, and insanely comfortable for someone with hypersensitivity? The comfort issue should be fixable with a small enough tip (that still isolates. I have small ear canals and any pressure on the walls of my ear (shallow or deep insert) is highly painful. Maybe a foam tip would help? I'm not sure if that could cause pain. I was thinking about an etymotic, but I'm not sure if that would work.

If it is possible to have good sound to go with it, I would like it to be warm and smooth. I'd rather have amazing isolation and comfort then good sound from something that feels like fire to the ears, though.

Most highly-isolating earphones do so via deep insertion but you're probably better off just getting foam tips. Etymotic is not a good idea for warm sound. If you want good sound quality my recommendation would be Sony MH1C plus Comply T200s (I think that's the size that fits... might want to double-check in the long MH1 thread). If you just want something super cheap and super comfortable, the best I've tried is the db Logic EP-100 plus Shure Olive foam tips. In this case the earphones and tips cost about the same but the comfort is hard to match. They are volume-limited but I found the volume more than sufficient even in noisy environments. 

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #10,893 of 16,931
Quote:
Hello Joker,

How does the Vsonic VC1000 compare with the UE900 or GR01?

Missed this one - haven't had a chance to A:B with the VC1000 with those yet. 

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #10,894 of 16,931
Quote:

Most highly-isolating earphones do so via deep insertion but you're probably better off just getting foam tips. Etymotic is not a good idea for warm sound. If you want good sound quality my recommendation would be Sony MH1C plus Comply T200s (I think that's the size that fits... might want to double-check in the long MH1 thread). If you just want something super cheap and super comfortable, the best I've tried is the db Logic EP-100 plus Shure Olive foam tips. In this case the earphones and tips cost about the same but the comfort is hard to match. They are volume-limited but I found the volume more than sufficient even in noisy environments. 

The MH1Cs are sadly not available anymore.
frown.gif

Noisy environments should not be a problem, because the isolation should be at least -30, -40 db. I want to spend the day with this just on me, at all times, keeping every bit of sound out. Plus comfort >> sound. If the Etymotics can provide that, then that's my choice. No idea if they do that, though.

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #10,895 of 16,931
Quote:

I doubt the UE600 has as much bass as anything from Monster. It's a rather well-balanced earphone. They also probably won't work specifically for laying down on your side - the housing is positioned outside of your ear when wearing them. Something like the RE-400 is less likely to give you trouble when laying on your side.

On the upside, the UE600s are very lightweight and don't seem to be particularly sensitive to insertion depth. With the included Complys and a shallower seal comfort is excellent.

Thanks for the info.  The Solar's aren't particularly bass-heavy earphones, especially with the stock tips.  They have less bass quantity than something like the SE215, for example.  What about a Phonak Perfect Bass with black filters?

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #10,896 of 16,931
Quote:

The bass of the ES5 is really not bloated considering its quantity but if you're worried about that the JH13 or Miracle would be better options. I don't find either to be fatiguing. The Miracle is more laid-back and balanced while the JH13 has a few db of bass boost and a more forward presentation. Here's what I wrote previously regarding the JH13 vs Miracle:

Quote:
Compared to the Miracle, the JH13 has more midrange presence (and a more forward presentation), better clarity, and more mid-bass by a few dB. The JH13 is more punchy and impactful but also a little more resolving overall. I suppose it could be called more analytical when it comes to how it presents music. The Miracle’s treble seemed a touch smoother to me but overall they are similar in presence and extension at the top.

I see. I guess i'll still look in all three, add UERM too and try to read a bit more. Best thing would be to fly over to next big audio show, try the demos and decide on the spot. Might even get discount this way. Thanks Joker.

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #10,897 of 16,931
Quote:
The MH1Cs are sadly not available anymore.
frown.gif

Noisy environments should not be a problem, because the isolation should be at least -30, -40 db. I want to spend the day with this just on me, at all times, keeping every bit of sound out. Plus comfort >> sound. If the Etymotics can provide that, then that's my choice. No idea if they do that, though.

The Etymotics provide awesome isolation but even with comply tips they're still raping you ear... you need to go deep with them and over long periods of time (for me) this isn't comfortable.  You might want to look into customs.  Something designed for your ear specifically; I've found this makes IEM use possible for far longer than I could endure universals.

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #10,898 of 16,931
Quote:
The Etymotics provide awesome isolation but even with comply tips they're still raping you ear... you need to go deep with them and over long periods of time (for me) this isn't comfortable.  You might want to look into customs.  Something designed for your ear specifically; I've found this makes IEM use possible for far longer than I could endure universals.

Unless I can get customs for $60, I don't think this is happening
tongue.gif

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #10,900 of 16,931
Quote:
 I find ety's very uncomfortable.

http://hearingaccessories.ca/phonak-pfe012-high-quality-headphones.html

bam

insanely comfortable and they isolate pretty well.

That actually looks less comfortable to me then the etys... My last IEMs were the Meelctronic M9s, and those things felt like fire to my ears, maybe even worse. I'm thinking a deep insertion IEM would be less painful because they make much smaller tips for it, but I don't know.

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #10,901 of 16,931
Quote:
That actually looks less comfortable to me then the etys... My last IEMs were the Meelctronic M9s, and those things felt like fire to my ears, maybe even worse. I'm thinking a deep insertion IEM would be less painful because they make much smaller tips for it, but I don't know.

The Ety Kids model is cheap (on Amazon) and comes with very tiny deep insertion tri-flange tips..  They are volume limited and the sound is very 'flat/neutral'.  I find them more comfortable than my Etymotic HF2 but equally isolating.  Sound isn't as good but the price difference is substantial.

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #10,902 of 16,931
Quote:

never tried the Ety's but the PFE's are ridiculously comfortable as I have the PFE 232 and was planning to sell them but due to the openness of the soundstage and comfort, I'm really having a hard time letting them go.

That brings me to a question: I was originally planning to trade the 232 for the Westone 4 but because of some sonic differences, I can't bring myself to do it.  I'm wondering if there's another universal that might give me what I'm looking for?   I love the 4 for the rich mids/vocals, cable, fit and overall sound though I wish they were a bit more open and a little more bass.  I love the PFE for the soundstage, fit and energy but sometimes the vocals are just a little thinner than I'd like - especially when talking about Adele, Amy Lee and other female vocals. I love both for classical though I'll admit that the 232 can be a tad fatiguing at times which is a problem I've never come across or even close to with the 4.  Should I just hold onto the 232 as being discontinued, there's no guarantee of getting them back?  Curious to get some thoughts - really don't have anywhere to audition iem's without driving about 2-ish hours but it is possible.  Main genres are Rock, Classical/Opera, Jazz and acoustic. 

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #10,903 of 16,931
I'm also considering the Astrotec Am-90s. They are $40 on amazon, and they do have a 10/10 value on here... They have a 3.5 isolation rating, which should, under normal conditions, give me the isolation I need. Plus, it has a 4.5/5 rating on comfort. It seems to come with a ton of tips, so that's also nice.

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #10,904 of 16,931
Quote:

Well, the PFE comes with small tips. some of the best tips ever made, and the actual earphones are tiny, lightweight, and ergonomically shaped.

Let me put it this way: they didn't name it the "Perfect Fit Earphone" for nothing.

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #10,905 of 16,931
Quote:
I'm also considering the Astrotec Am-90s. They are $40 on amazon, and they do have a 10/10 value on here... They have a 3.5 isolation rating, which should, under normal conditions, give me the isolation I need. Plus, it has a 4.5/5 rating on comfort. It seems to come with a ton of tips, so that's also nice.

I have the Astrotecs.  They're very smooth and with a Fiio E17 gain some extension (over being driven purely out of a clip).  The cable is among the best universal cables I've seen.  For the money I think it's damn good sound.  Isolation is middling and the foam tips they supplied will not stay on even with the (also supplied) little rubber sleeves.  The silicone tips are average.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back