Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jul 4, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #10,846 of 16,931
How's the sound in that one? I'm just worried it resembles the Westone 3 which I don't like much... To bassy for my taste. 
I do not know the Westone range but people who have heard both think sd3 is technically superior. I could not vouch for that. However, I can say that they are a great iem, but clearly bassy. The bass is textured and controlled though, i.e. not bleeding in the mids.

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #10,847 of 16,931
Good day!  I've posted a few threads in help section, but didn't get any response.  Perhaps somebody in this thread discussing multiple IEM's can lend some insight!

I have an old pair of UE Super.Fi 3s and the cabling is seriously breaking down.  Rather than get a replacement cable I'm leaning towards getting a new set of headphones since I now use them daily.  I was leaning towards $100, but I'm willing to spend more if the sound is improved. However, frustrating since you typically can't hear before buying.  Based on my research, these are the models that seem to repeatedly come up with good marks.

Shure SE215s - Lower cost, good fit, nice range of sound and, re-placable cable, a good amount of noise isolation.
VSONIC GR07 - All around great sound, nice bass extension, good fit, double armature construction, flat cable.
Fischer Audio DBA-02 MkII - Similar sound to GR07s (??), but questionable build quality

Anybody able to compare these, offer insights, or other thoughts?  My biggest question is sound quality difference between top end dynamic IEMs vs step up to entry level armature construction.

Thanks!!

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #10,848 of 16,931
Quote:
Good day!  I've posted a few threads in help section, but didn't get any response.  Perhaps somebody in this thread discussing multiple IEM's can lend some insight!

I have an old pair of UE Super.Fi 3s and the cabling is seriously breaking down.  Rather than get a replacement cable I'm leaning towards getting a new set of headphones since I now use them daily.  I was leaning towards $100, but I'm willing to spend more if the sound is improved. However, frustrating since you typically can't hear before buying.  Based on my research, these are the models that seem to repeatedly come up with good marks.

Shure SE215s - Lower cost, good fit, nice range of sound and, re-placable cable, a good amount of noise isolation.
VSONIC GR07 - All around great sound, nice bass extension, good fit, double armature construction, flat cable.
Fischer Audio DBA-02 MkII - Similar sound to GR07s (??), but questionable build quality

Anybody able to compare these, offer insights, or other thoughts?  My biggest question is sound quality difference between top end dynamic IEMs vs step up to entry level armature construction.

Thanks!!

The dual balanced armature vsonic IEMs are GR01 which you likely meant, and the the newer and cheaper VC1000. The GR07 is their current flagship dynamic driver. I don't think any vsonics have flat cables...

Recent bang for your buck sound quality contenders at the $100 price point are the HiFiMAN RE-400 and the Philips Fidelio S1.

There are many dynamics that are more than a match for balanced armatures, and vice versa.
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #10,849 of 16,931
Quote:
Ah, so you've heard the RE-600. Would you say the price difference from the RE-400 adequately reflects the quality difference?

I've only had the RE-600 for a few days so it will be a while before I have a solid grasp of it. I like what I'm hearing. A $400 earphone never sounds 4x as good as a $100 one, though.

Quote:
Curious to how much of an improvement you think the RE600 is over the RE400? Also where would you think you'd rank them in the realm of IEM's you've listened to?

See above. I think it's going to be another case of RE262 vs RE272, where I clearly preferred the RE272 in almost every way but the difference in each individual aspect wasn't huge. 

Quote:
My Meelec CC51 has died.Loved it. R.I.P. Want to obtain an another dynamic microdriver IEM., similar sound signatuge like  MEE . JVC FXD80? Welcome any suggestion. Max 100 bucks.

joker?

Thanks!

LLRNR!

Another CC51?

The FXD80 is similar but brighter/colder in tone, if that's okay with you. The Monster Miles Davis Trumpet would be better signature-wise but that's way over $100 and probably not worth its coin. 

Quote:
Hi Joker,

I'm looking for a new iem since I destroyed my GR07 and I want something else now.

Choices are:
Rock-it Sounds R-50
Philips Fidelio S1/S2
T-peos H100
Fischer Audio DBA-02

Music taste is too diverse too mention. I would appreciate a wide 3d soundstage and 'not to clean' sounding (a bit 'warmish', but not too much).
I can all get them for approx. the same price.

It depends on what you liked/didn't like about the GR07. The Fidelio S2 would be closer to the sound of the GR07 than the H-100 or R-50, for example. The S2 fits your requirements nicely, actually - its soundstage wide, though not overly 3D, and it is warm-ish. 

Quote:
HI!

I want to upgrade from my Westone 4. I generally listen to electronic, rock, metal and classical. I do like the sound of the W4. However, I want a fun earphone. I would love a Westone 4 with a little more bass. What would yo recommend me?

Custom or universal? Among the universals I've heard it would probably have to be K3003. The IE 800 and even Ultrasone IQ will likely have too much bass for you. Haven't tried the SD3, though.

Quote:

Thanks!!

There are dynamic IEMs that outperform similarly-priced BA ones and vice versa. You should focus on the type of signature you want. Among those three, the SE215 is the bassiest and lightest on the treble, the GR07 is balanced with a slight bass bump and plenty of treble energy. The DBA-02 mkII is very balanced with less bass than the GR07. There are also tons and tons of other options in that price range as well. 

The SF3 is a good earphone but it's rolled off in the bass and treble. It's very smooth though, and has nice mids, but you don't need to spend $179 on a GR07 to upgrade from it. If you want something that's reminiscent of the SF3 but covers more of the frequency spectrum, without spending too much, the UE 600 would work for you. Spending a little more, the HiFiMan RE-400 is a good, balanced-sounding option. 

Jul 4, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #10,852 of 16,931
I would like to see Rin measure the 262 and 600. I can't make sense of the IF 262 and 272 measurements. They are very similar yet sound so different.

I though they sounded similar, 262s were just much more midforward. But that small difference of the 272s made them much better IMO

Jul 4, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #10,853 of 16,931
Hello, again, joker.

I am still on my journey of finding my most suitable IEM. SO far I have been satisfied with both the GR07 mk2 and the Gr07 BE. I have no major gripes with either, I just wish the bass was somewhere in between the two. The BE seems to have a bit too much compared to my other cans. It's not a bad thing, it's just sticking out like a sore thumb and want to avoid a major transition period when switching to a portable setup. The BE was a better match when I had the Fidelio X1 for home use.

I also would rather have an IEM that doesn't have to go over my ears. I am currently looking at the DBA-02, Klipsh X10, and Etymotic ER-4P. I am still looking for that balance/neutral sound, with enough bass response that doesn't hamper the other frequencies... preferably a similar sound signature to that of my recent Mad Dogs v.3.2 purchased from MrSpeakers.

If those don't compare well with the GR07 I may just have to go back to the MK2 and EQ its bass to my likings. I may also just give the Fidelio S2 before doing so.

Jul 5, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #10,854 of 16,931
Quote:
Hmm doesn't RE600 have even less treble than RE400?

I've only listened to the RE-600 a few times so far. TBD.

Quote:
Hello, again, joker.

I am still on my journey of finding my most suitable IEM. SO far I have been satisfied with both the GR07 mk2 and the Gr07 BE. I have no major gripes with either, I just wish the bass was somewhere in between the two. The BE seems to have a bit too much compared to my other cans. It's not a bad thing, it's just sticking out like a sore thumb and want to avoid a major transition period when switching to a portable setup. The BE was a better match when I had the Fidelio X1 for home use.

I also would rather have an IEM that doesn't have to go over my ears. I am currently looking at the DBA-02, Klipsh X10, and Etymotic ER-4P. I am still looking for that balance/neutral sound, with enough bass response that doesn't hamper the other frequencies... preferably a similar sound signature to that of my recent Mad Dogs v.3.2 purchased from MrSpeakers.

If those don't compare well with the GR07 I may just have to go back to the MK2 and EQ its bass to my likings. I may also just give the Fidelio S2 before doing so.

The X10 may have too much bass for you and the ER4/DBA-02 probably won't have enough (based on the fact that you want something between the GR07 and GR07BE). The S2 would be a good buy, I think. Its bass is in the vicinity of my non-BE GR07 but it's a cable-down earphone, generally has good balance, and EQs well. 

Jul 5, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #10,855 of 16,931
Quote:

I've only listened to the RE-600 a few times so far. TBD.

The X10 may have too much bass for you and the ER4/DBA-02 probably won't have enough (based on the fact that you want something between the GR07 and GR07BE). The S2 would be a good buy, I think. Its bass is in the vicinity of my non-BE GR07 but it's a cable-down earphone, generally has good balance, and EQs well. 

Thank you. I was also told of the more expensive Westone W4. Any impressions when comparing to the GR07 and GR07 BE?

Jul 5, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #10,856 of 16,931
Quote:
Another CC51?

The FXD80 is similar but brighter/colder in tone, if that's okay with you. The Monster Miles Davis Trumpet would be better signature-wise but that's way over $100 and probably not worth its coin. 

Another CC51 - not bad idea ...  
smile.gif
, but to be honest I'll want to try something else, too. FXD80 ordered, I'm curious... Thanks.

Jul 5, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #10,857 of 16,931
Quote:
Hello, again, joker.

I am still on my journey of finding my most suitable IEM. SO far I have been satisfied with both the GR07 mk2 and the Gr07 BE. I have no major gripes with either, I just wish the bass was somewhere in between the two. 

Here's how to improve the bass response on the regular GR07, block the front vent next to the nozzle with a piece of tape, and boom, subbbass kick is improved. If you think this is too much, puncture a hole with a needle and it's tamed a little, but still with a boosted subbass, better than stock. 

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #10,858 of 16,931
Quote:

The dual balanced armature vsonic IEMs are GR01 which you likely meant, and the the newer and cheaper VC1000. The GR07 is their current flagship dynamic driver. I don't think any vsonics have flat cables...

Recent bang for your buck sound quality contenders at the $100 price point are the HiFiMAN RE-400 and the Philips Fidelio S1.

There are many dynamics that are more than a match for balanced armatures, and vice versa.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

There are dynamic IEMs that outperform similarly-priced BA ones and vice versa. You should focus on the type of signature you want. Among those three, the SE215 is the bassiest and lightest on the treble, the GR07 is balanced with a slight bass bump and plenty of treble energy. The DBA-02 mkII is very balanced with less bass than the GR07. There are also tons and tons of other options in that price range as well. 

The SF3 is a good earphone but it's rolled off in the bass and treble. It's very smooth though, and has nice mids, but you don't need to spend $179 on a GR07 to upgrade from it. If you want something that's reminiscent of the SF3 but covers more of the frequency spectrum, without spending too much, the UE 600 would work for you. Spending a little more, the HiFiMan RE-400 is a good, balanced-sounding option. 

Thanks for the replies.  So many choices...gah!  I certainly don't dislike the SF3s, but I've had them for probably a good 5 years and didn't do extensive research when I purchased them.  I'd say they sound balanced, but lean towards hollow.  They aren't warm, and certainly don't have a lot of bass.

Two other's I'd throw in to the mix after researching are the Brainwavz B2 and the TDK BA-200.

Ideal - full spectrum, clear separation between treble, mids and bass, with good noise isolation.

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #10,860 of 16,931
Actually had the chance to listen to the B&O H3s today. I liked the sound. I think it may have been a bit heavy on the bass, but it sounded full. Definitely could tell it had a broader frequency than my SF 3s. Given name I think they are overpriced by 50-100$. I am curious to hear where others think the G07, SE 215, B B2, Hifiman 400, and DBA-02 MkII compare sound for dollar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back