Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 16, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #10,321 of 16,931
If the normal tips that come with IEMs irritate me, what type of tips should I get? I see foam tips, and I also see memory foam tips... Which kind and brand of those should I get, if that's what I'm supposed to be getting?

Foam = Comply tips

Standard = Sony Hybrids

May 16, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #10,322 of 16,931
Quote:
I am not familiar with the Denon C300s (or the Signature DJs for that matter). The GR07 BE is not super bassy - maybe on-level with my V-Moda M-80. It'll be a good compliment to the RE-400 but if you want bass you can feel through your eardrums you may want to grab something else, like the Yamaha EPH-100. 

Thanks!

May 16, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #10,324 of 16,931
Quote:
If the normal tips that come with IEMs irritate me, what type of tips should I get? I see foam tips, and I also see memory foam tips... Which kind and brand of those should I get, if that's what I'm supposed to be getting?

Comply pretty much has the market on foam tips cornered - IIRC they hold the patent on foam tips with an inner core. If you're talking about the M9, you'll want the T400 size tips. 

Quote:
Hello - thank you for all of these reviews!

I was wondering if you had any opinions about the Westone UM1 and UM2 models as I didn't see them listed here. I'm a visual person and have fallen in love with these. I also read that soft and twisted cords reduce microphonics, and think that these may be my best options.

I am looking for something with little to no microphonics. I've never worn something over-ear but I won't mind that - I would prefer not having to use a clip. I would also prefer maximum isolation as I would be using these on the train. I would like a balanced sound-signature that doesn't favor any particular genre as I listen to a wide range of sounds, including piano compositions, Hip-Hop, and Rock, to be vague. I'm not big on categorizing sounds and I apologize for not being specific here.

I guess my budget is around $250, although I would happily accept any recommendations so long as they don't go way over this price range. The reason for this budget is that I need something that could be replaced, should it break, etc.

I would greatly appreciate ratings for the Westone UM1 and UM2 models along with anything else that is recommended but is not currently on the list of items that you have reviewed. Accessories, build quality, isolation, microphonics, comfort, sound, and value, please.

Going off of reviews on Amazon and what I gather from your reviews - that twisted cord and over-ear IEMs will offer the best in terms of microphonics reduction - I have come up with a few options for myself.

Westone UM1
http://www.amazon.com/Westone-UM1-Clear-earphones/dp/B004X2PHKO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2X8EWFG6WH9ZO&coliid=I2TKELFH5BFX5P

Westone UM1 Bundle with Triple Flange, Monitor Saver, more (?)
http://www.amazon.com/Westone-UM1-Bundle-Triple-Monitor/dp/B000QDCOE6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2X8EWFG6WH9ZO&coliid=I1S128MJ9JRY2

Westone UM2
http://www.amazon.com/Westone-WST-UM2-CLEAR-UM2-Clear-Earphones/dp/B000NIOVWC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2X8EWFG6WH9ZO&coliid=I294KSHWX08XF6

Westone W2
http://www.amazon.com/Westone-WST-WESTONE2-W2/dp/B00373PE9Y/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2X8EWFG6WH9ZO&coliid=I27A1P11ZOKLXG

Also, if it is recommended to buy earphone tips to replace those that come with these models, which would be the best? Seeing as how these would be a relatively cheap investment, I want the best.

I apologize if it seems that I don't really need help, but I think some guidance would be nice before making this investment.

Thank you.

Unfortunately I've never heard the UM1 or UM2. I can't provide ratings, or even an opinion, on items I haven't had firsthand experience with.

The W2 is pretty good though - arguably the most balanced of the Westone IEMs. It is true that over-ear earphones with twisted cables typically have zero or almost zero microphonics. 

May 16, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #10,325 of 16,931
Thanks ljokerl for your always helpful reviews. Please kindly comment on isolation measurements of some VSonic IEMs.

Do you happen to have isolation measurements (i.e., broadband isolation by Innerfidelity) of VSonic VC1000s and GR01s? GR01s' isolation seems to be inconsistent among people; some said it's isolation is average, while others said it is good enough for train/plane.

I am also surprised by Tyll / Innerfidelity's isolation measurement of VC02s. Their isolation value of -21 db sounds very surprisingly low for a pair deeply-inserted IEMs. I understand that they have micro drivers and not BAs, but based on their shape, I would expect broadband isolation around -30 db (if not -40 db like ER4s with foam).

Tyll's measurement indicates that VC02s may not isolate much more than GR07s. Does that match your experience? I also saw a 5 db difference in Tyll's isolation measurement of the GR07s (-19 db) and GR07 BEs (-24 db). Was that caused by different tips, different insertion depth or something else?

Thanks so much.

Eidt: The reason why I am asking is because I am looking for isolation IEMs, which do not sound as bright as ER4s but get close in terms of isolation (want close to -40 db broadband isolation). VCR02s or VC1000s look promising and are not expensive :) , though I am not sure about their isolation. Sound quality is not a concern (I have acrylic CIEM for that task, which sound good but only isolate around -30db). I have Sleek SA6s which isolation very well with Shure olives (they can be inserted deeply) but it's cable broke on me twice. 

May 16, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #10,327 of 16,931
I'm sorry if this has been asked already. Which comply tips fit on the GR07? I prefer foam tips and the grey ones that came in stock work well but are slightly big for my ears. Are those large sized? I ask so I have a better idea of which size to get once I find out which model fits. 

May 16, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #10,330 of 16,931
Quote:
Which size should I get of the T400s? I will still be getting the VC02s, so I probably need more then one size...

The T400s will fit on the M9 but not the VC02 so you may want to hold off on getting them if you're switching earphones.

Quote:
I'm sorry if this has been asked already. Which comply tips fit on the GR07? I prefer foam tips and the grey ones that came in stock work well but are slightly big for my ears. Are those large sized? I ask so I have a better idea of which size to get once I find out which model fits. 

I am not sure which size fits but I know mine don't fit - the *200s are too small and the *400s are too large. The stock GR07 tips are medium-ish in size but Comply foam is softer so medium Complys may still work well for you.

Quote:
how come impedance for the fitear 334 is N/A ??

Couldn't find the number.

May 16, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #10,331 of 16,931
May 16, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #10,332 of 16,931

Users who are viewing this thread

Back