Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 19, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #10,036 of 16,931
Quote:
I might get some to replace my CAL... I am a bit skint at the moment so I am looking for bargains... Also I am interested in what sound quality can be had for cheap prices... I like the CAL but the bass on them is pretty lame. Have you compared them to the CAL by any chance?

I see the CAL mentioned quite a bit in the S500 thread. Here's an example.

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #10,037 of 16,931
Quote:

Hmm... looks like $399. Is it shipping already?

Yeah, Olives work. Kind of a tight fit but not a danger to the earphones.

Not everyone agrees that customs are always better but no matter..

I have not tried any of the current crop of portable headphones (Momentum, etc). I prefer my customs to the portables I do have (such as the M-80 and HD25) but those are cheaper as well. There are very expensive portables I have not tried, such as Ultrasone's Edition line and the Beyer T5p.

Anyway, if you want to be totally isolated from your surroundings, then custom IEM is definitely the way to go. If you like the GR07 more, go for the Alclair Reference. If you like the SM3 better but wish it had more bass and treble, go for the 1964-V3.

The GR07 would be very good except that its mids are not as forward as those of the GR06. The FXT90's are, but it has more bass than the GR06 and is not quite as refined overall as the GR07.

Thanks for the helpful reply |joker|. I believe at this point, I'm leaning more towards IEM. Now its a question of, custom vs universal IEM. Btw, I'm planning to buy portable dac/amp to go with my ipod classic such as Fostex HP-P1, HIFI-M8, SONY PHA-1 etc. It seems most of the dac/amp works better with less sensitive headphoens (pico may be an exception). and IEMs are in general more sensitive. So my question is, while shopping for IEMs, should I be looking for a less sensitive IEM if I'm planning to use a dac/amp add on?

Regarding custom and universal IEM, within a budge of say $400-$600, do you think there's any universal IEM that can compete with similarly priced custom IEM? I'm not looking after the complete isolation that custom provides. But if the custom provides better sound quality in general I'd be tempted. But the wait time for a custom is a killer. Buying a good universal IEM and then experimenting with  good tips for perfect fit, wouldn't that lessen the gap between customs and unviersal a bit? What I meant is, apart from the good fit and isolation factor (which ofc contributes to the overall SQ), is there any inherent engineering process that distinguishes customs from IEMs in the favor of customs?

I'd really like to hear your opinion on your favorite universals that you think can go neck to neck with similarly priced customs. (I like the sound of both EarSonic and Vosnics. But VSonics bass is better and more dynamic with some excitement factor. I wish VSonic GR07 had smoother midrange and highs.)

Thanks for your immense contribution to the headphone lovers around the world.

Apr 19, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #10,038 of 16,931
Hey |joker|,

Just wanted to mention that I received my RE-400 from Head Direct this week and they included a clamshell carrying case. Might be worth contacting them and confirming this is standard, as it's a common complaint about the RE-400.

And fantastic job with this amazing thread. You led me to a purchase which I'm very happy with.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #10,040 of 16,931
Quote:

Thanks for the helpful reply |joker|. I believe at this point, I'm leaning more towards IEM. Now its a question of, custom vs universal IEM. Btw, I'm planning to buy portable dac/amp to go with my ipod classic such as Fostex HP-P1, HIFI-M8, SONY PHA-1 etc. It seems most of the dac/amp works better with less sensitive headphoens (pico may be an exception). and IEMs are in general more sensitive. So my question is, while shopping for IEMs, should I be looking for a less sensitive IEM if I'm planning to use a dac/amp add on?

Regarding custom and universal IEM, within a budge of say $400-$600, do you think there's any universal IEM that can compete with similarly priced custom IEM? I'm not looking after the complete isolation that custom provides. But if the custom provides better sound quality in general I'd be tempted. But the wait time for a custom is a killer. Buying a good universal IEM and then experimenting with  good tips for perfect fit, wouldn't that lessen the gap between customs and unviersal a bit? What I meant is, apart from the good fit and isolation factor (which ofc contributes to the overall SQ), is there any inherent engineering process that distinguishes customs from IEMs in the favor of customs?

I'd really like to hear your opinion on your favorite universals that you think can go neck to neck with similarly priced customs. (I like the sound of both EarSonic and Vosnics. But VSonics bass is better and more dynamic with some excitement factor. I wish VSonic GR07 had smoother midrange and highs.)

Thanks for your immense contribution to the headphone lovers around the world.

If you're getting a DAC/amp that's known to have issues with sensitive IEMs, you would probably want a less sensitive one. However, a DAC that limits your options in terms of headphones/IEMs may not be a great investment as a portable solution in the first place.

As for your other question, even if I say universal X competes with similarly-priced customs I have, it may not have the signature you're looking for so that information would be useless to you. Signature really does trump technical performance in my opinion.

It sounds like you want some enhanced bass with smoother mids and highs and low sensitivity, which rules out all three sub-$600 customs I have here (the CTM-200 for lack of enhanced bass, the Reference for treble that's similar to the GR07, and the 1964-V3 because it is super sensitive). I am sure there is a sub-$600 custom somewhere out there that matches this description but I haven't come across it. 

Quote:
Hey |joker|,

Just wanted to mention that I received my RE-400 from Head Direct this week and they included a clamshell carrying case. Might be worth contacting them and confirming this is standard, as it's a common complaint about the RE-400.

And fantastic job with this amazing thread. You led me to a purchase which I'm very happy with.

Yes, Fang mentioned that he was looking to improve the accessory pack. I wasn't sure it would happen so soon. I'll confirm and then update my review accordingly. Looks like a good case - I have a few similar ones.

Glad you like the sound!

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #10,041 of 16,931
Would you say the VSonic GR02/GR99 would last longer than something like the M9/M6 when it comes to long-term durability and use?

I'm trying to get some earphones for a friend, but he has a terrible habit of destroying every headphone he touches that it has come to a point where durability has a higher priority than sound.

Thanks.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #10,042 of 16,931
Quote:
Would you say the VSonic GR02/GR99 would last longer than something like the M9/M6 when it comes to long-term durability and use?

I'm trying to get some earphones for a friend, but he has a terrible habit of destroying every headphone he touches that it has come to a point where durability has a higher priority than sound.

Thanks.

GR02 have good cables and good body, GR99 cables sucks big time but have good body, GR99 silver editon I believe have TPU cables which are durable enough. M9 and M6 both have really good quality. If you want good sound quality with good durability get GR02 or get something like VC02 that have detachable TPU coated cables and well machined body.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #10,043 of 16,931
Yes, Fang mentioned that he was looking to improve the accessory pack. I wasn't sure it would happen so soon. I'll confirm and then update my review accordingly. Looks like a good case - I have a few similar ones.

Glad you like the sound!

FYI, Fang just replied to my email and confirmed that they're including a carrying case with the RE400 now.

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #10,044 of 16,931
Quote:

Thanks.

At that point it's probably down to the user and not the earphone. The VSonic models really haven't been around that long but I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with them. I've also had my M9 and one of my M6s since 2009 and they're working fine. 

If durability is the priority, just get the Philips O'Neill Tread. It doesn't sound that bad and it's a tank. 

Quote:
FYI, Fang just replied to my email and confirmed that they're including a carrying case with the RE400 now.

Thanks, I'll change it when I update the thread.

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #10,045 of 16,931
Quote:

If you're getting a DAC/amp that's known to have issues with sensitive IEMs, you would probably want a less sensitive one. However, a DAC that limits your options in terms of headphones/IEMs may not be a great investment as a portable solution in the first place.

As for your other question, even if I say universal X competes with similarly-priced customs I have, it may not have the signature you're looking for so that information would be useless to you. Signature really does trump technical performance in my opinion.

It sounds like you want some enhanced bass with smoother mids and highs and low sensitivity, which rules out all three sub-$600 customs I have here (the CTM-200 for lack of enhanced bass, the Reference for treble that's similar to the GR07, and the 1964-V3 because it is super sensitive). I am sure there is a sub-$600 custom somewhere out there that matches this description but I haven't come across it. 

Glad you like the sound!

What custom IEM close to 1k, would more likely to have that sound signature? Would you say UM Miracle? Btw, have you heard JH13? I wonder how they compare to UM Miracle.

Apr 20, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #10,046 of 16,931
Hi, can you or anyone of you confirm whether: http://www.amazon.com/VSONIC-Silver-Earphones-Earbuds-iPhones/dp/B005EM9KRI this is the real Bass edition or not? It says GR02, which makes me believe it's the bass edition but it also says R02Proii in 2 pictures. (I've seen both pictures elsewhere on Ebay though, so it's kinda generic.)

I'd rather not waste my time and buy the lower edition :frowning2:

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #10,047 of 16,931
Hey joker,
I decided to go with the GR07 as a gut instinct over the new Fidelios. I must say this is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much for all your suggestions. I still am curious about the Fidelios, but am totally happy with my purchase
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 20, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #10,048 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi, can you or anyone of you confirm whether: http://www.amazon.com/VSONIC-Silver-Earphones-Earbuds-iPhones/dp/B005EM9KRI this is the real Bass edition or not? It says GR02, which makes me believe it's the bass edition but it also says R02Proii in 2 pictures. (I've seen both pictures elsewhere on Ebay though, so it's kinda generic.)

EDIT: Nevermind, I decided to just get him the M6. If he does happen to break it, I think I can be confident that Mee's customer service will take good care of them. Now, I am confident that VSonic is a solid company, but I just don't think he will enjoy the hassle of replacing an earphone from a company all the way in China, with all those weird customs and forms they have just to mail something.

Apr 20, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #10,049 of 16,931
Quote:

What custom IEM close to 1k, would more likely to have that sound signature? Would you say UM Miracle? Btw, have you heard JH13? I wonder how they compare to UM Miracle.

Not sure yet, will know more next month. 

Quote:

Beats me. They look like GR02s but at least four of the pics show the R02ProII, which is an older model. The Bass Edition has a slight tint on the metal part at the front of the housing (looks more bronze-ish). This is clearly visible in photo #5 on the listing but not so much the other pics.

Quote:
Hey joker,
I decided to go with the GR07 as a gut instinct over the new Fidelios. I must say this is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much for all your suggestions. I still am curious about the Fidelios, but am totally happy with my purchase
ksc75smile.gif

That's good to hear, glad you like them!

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #10,050 of 16,931
Please can someone answer a few questions about the GR07 BE....

Currently I have Atrio MG7 and Shure SE215.... I had some Yamaha EPH-100 before...

Bass quantity I found the EPH-100 slightly low but good quality, the MG7 are awesome although I could live with slightly less bass, but I do really like the quantity and quality of the bass on these... the Shure SE215 have good quantity but the quality is a bit bad....

I found the EPH-100 bordering on being too bright for me.... The MG7 are not too bad but a bit edgy in the treble with bad recordings...

1) Will I find the bass level on a GR07 BE dissapointing? Are they bass light compared to MG7, EPH-100 and SE215? I would certainly not want less bass than the EPH-100 but I could live with slightly less than the MG7.

2) Will I find the GR07 BE too bright and sibilant / peaky in the treble, I find the EPH-100 and MG7 about right in brightness, wouldnt really want anything more sibilant / sharp than these two?

3) I would like similar to the MG7 but with better midrange and soundstage, Will the GR07 BE be good for this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back