Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 1, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #8,896 of 16,931
Quote:
Great review as always Joker! Man, you are unbelievable! After your R-50 review, I ordered my R-50s but I think I will need replacement tips for them. Which aftermarket tips work best for R-50? Should I choose Etymotic triple flanges or MEElectronics triple flanges? Which one is more comfortable and offers better sound?

I like the MH1C sony Hybrids/Regular Sony Hybrids on these, much comfortable than stock tips. Meelectronics Triple Flanges also do a great job on these, but could be slightly uncomfortable and more isolating than hybrids. Some had better fit with meelec double flanges

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #8,897 of 16,931
Quote:
Great review as always Joker! Man, you are unbelievable! After your R-50 review, I ordered my R-50s but I think I will need replacement tips for them. Which aftermarket tips work best for R-50? Should I choose Etymotic triple flanges or MEElectronics triple flanges? Which one is more comfortable and offers better sound?

I felt that the stock tips really didn't provide the optimal insertion depth. I ended up with Ety triples but I have lots of experience with deep-sealing tips. They are a little thicker than MEElec tips and give me a better seal. 

Dec 1, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #8,898 of 16,931
The Ety triples it what I used as well, not only did that provide the best isolation but because of the deep insertion it sounded a little better to.

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #8,899 of 16,931
Do they also fit to Pfe 112?

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #8,900 of 16,931
Quote:
Do they also fit to Pfe 112?

PFEs have larger nozzles. They'll stretch on but I'm not sure it's necessary since Phonaks have pretty decent stock tips. 

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #8,903 of 16,931
That's an amazing compilation of reviews ljokerl, and it's helped me a lot to pick out my first set of IEM's. Thanks a ton, It must have taken an incredibly long time to put together!  Have you ever tried Cosmic ears?  Are you thinking of adding a review of them to this thread?

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #8,904 of 16,931
Quote:
That's an amazing compilation of reviews ljokerl, and it's helped me a lot to pick out my first set of IEM's. Thanks a ton, It must have taken an incredibly long time to put together!  Have you ever tried Cosmic ears?  Are you thinking of adding a review of them to this thread?

This is not a compilation.  He reviewed every single one of them himself.
eek.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 2, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #8,905 of 16,931
Could anyone recommend a pair of IEMs as an alternative to the Audio Technica CK10s since they seem to be discontinued? Something around or slightly above the same price (~290) that have a similar sound signature.

Edit- Looking at the UE900s, but they seem to be a bit overpriced right now at about 430$

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #8,906 of 16,931
Quote:
Could anyone recommend a pair of IEMs as an alternative to the Audio Technica CK10s since they seem to be discontinued? Something around or slightly above the same price (~290) that have a similar sound signature.

Edit- Looking at the UE900s, but they seem to be a bit overpriced right now at about 430$

As always, the Fischer Audio's DBA MKII is said to have very similar sound signature to the CK10's.
Furthermore, the Brainwavz B2 has the same driver as the DBA MKII, and is more readily available.
Here's a link to the phones at the mp4nation store, a trusted Head-Fi retailer.

Dec 2, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #8,907 of 16,931
Quote:
The entry-level BAs typically have much more glaring weaknesses than the mid-level ones. Signatures also vary quite a bit--the entry-level BAs I like (A151, Rock-It R-20/R-30, Astrotec AM-90, etc) tend to be warmer and smoother than most higher-end ones. If you want to really try an armature but still have reservations I would recommend something decent in the ~$100 range - an A161P, Ety HF5, Phonak 022, Brainwavz B2, Rock-It R-50, etc. Less of an investment than going all out at $200 and you shouldn't lose a whole lot on resale value if you don't like them.

Are any of these dual BAs?  Phonak 021/022 and the Ety's are single, aren;t they?  I probably should have taken your advice on the A161Ps the first time.  I was worried about the brand...  :frowning2:

Got the Ety's on my wish list now.  Maybe I'll sell my Shure SE215s and trade up a little...

JJ

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #8,909 of 16,931
Quote:
hi, joker, just want to ask, how do you compare the R-50 to GR01 since u gave both 9.2 for sound quality. i'm actually planning to get myself the gr01.

The GR01 is a little warmer and smoother but gives up some of the transparency of the R-50. The GR01 is the more forgiving and non-fatiguing earphone but the performance of the R-50 is technically on-par. 

Quote:
I'm trying to find something that has better or similar micro detail to the iM716s but with a bit more on the highs. Would the Rock-It Sounds R-50 be an upgrade compared to my iM716s?

I've never heard the iM716 so I can't be of help there.

Quote:

No, I've never heard a Cosmic ears product and have no plans to add any at this time. 

Quote:

The UE900 doesn't really sound like a CK10. The UE700 is closer (and, in fact, uses a similar driver) but I would recommend the Rock-It R-50, Brainwavz B2, VSonic GR01, or Fischer Audio DBA-02 instead. They all sound pretty similar to each other and the CK10, with minor differences here and there. 

Quote:
Are any of these dual BAs?  Phonak 021/022 and the Ety's are single, aren;t they?  I probably should have taken your advice on the A161Ps the first time.  I was worried about the brand...  :frowning2:

Got the Ety's on my wish list now.  Maybe I'll sell my Shure SE215s and trade up a little...

JJ

The two pricier ones (R-50 and DBA-02) are dual BAs. The rest are single BAs. 

Quote:
|joker|, just wanted to say thank you for your help a few weeks back with my IEM dilemma. I ended up getting the Hifiman re262s and they'll be keeping my happy for a very long while.

J

beerchug.gif
 Glad you're enjoying them! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back