Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Nov 18, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #8,761 of 16,931
Well, RE-ZERO is as much direct upgrade over RE0 as they come. The other IEMs of the line are somewhat sideway treks, even RE272, which is the closest. Still, I bet you'd get more mileage out of custom tips for RE0 than from RE-ZERO alone. Or perhaps combine both ideas.
It's one of a kind IEM...

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #8,762 of 16,931
Quote:
I agree on the MH334 bass - in comparison to my Miracles it's very dynamic-driver sounding (not necessarily in a good way) whereas the Miracle is clean and tight. 

I do think the RE262 is a great relaxed-listening earphone (though I prefer the RE272).

Anyway, RE262 vs MH334 - The MH334 has deeper and more powerful bass (as expected) but the RE262 is a tiny bit tighter. Mostly its bass just sounds recessed in comparison. I tried some dubstep just to see what electronic bass sounds like on both and they are not that different once you turn the RE262 way up to compensate for quantity, with the RE262 a touch more controlled but lacking the deep bass presence and overall impact of the 334.

The midrange of the 334 is clearer/has a darker background but the tone is actually not that different with both sounding a little warmer/darker than what I would consider neutral (the RE262 is maybe a little warmer). The FitEar also sounds a touch thicker to me. The treble of the RE262 is a little more laid-back but not too bad and the overall balance seems to benefit from the lighter bass.

Soundstaging--the MH334 wins easily with a more out-of-the-head soundstage but at the same time better layering and a very good on-center feel (what I've seen called a strong center image). This can also make the FitEar sound more aggressive at higher volumes. I do like the presentation of the 262 and think it's pretty spacious but it's just not on-level here.

Thanks. I guess I'm looking for less of a facsimile of the 334 and more of an ideal relaxed listening earphone. I don't expect many things (if any) to really match the midrange character of the 334; it just maintains such intense center focus and beautiful black space in between that it makes the midrange feel so precise.

It seems like the bass is pretty acceptable in my book. I was worried when people said the bass on the 262 was slow, but from the data presented, it shouldn't be all that slow in the realm of dynamic drivers. I think it's just the general relaxed character of the RE262 that leads people to believe that it's a step slow. With regard to the treble, as long as I can hear everything, I'd be okay with it; I'm not looking for an in-your-face earphone. I have other choices for that.

How would you compare the RE272? It just seems like it's an earphone with relatively minor improvements over the RE262 for a lot more coin... The steeper rise in the midrange and less of a shelf in the treble makes it less midcentric and more treble-present, I can tell, but by how much?

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #8,763 of 16,931
I would say if you haven't tried it, try the 262. It is to this day one of my loves, and if they have a clearance I might get a couple pairs just so I have them for a long long time.

I miss them Q_Q

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #8,764 of 16,931
Quote:

Hey Joker,

Do you think it is an upgrade over RE0? I really love RE0, but I need an iem resembles RE0 with a little more bass (not bass heavy) and just a little thicker midrange and similar treble or should I get RE-ZERO instead? Please I need an advice.

Not an upgrade over the RE0 unless you are willing to sacrifice the refinement and clarity of the RE0 for having bassier, more colored sound. In that context the SB is quite good but I just can't call it an upgrade over the RE0. The RE-ZERO is closer to an RE0 upgrade but it depends on how far away from the RE0 signature you want to go (the ZERO is not too far..). If they still made the Sunrise Xcape v.1 I'd recommend that but I don't think you'll be able to find one.

Quote:

How would you compare the RE272? It just seems like it's an earphone with relatively minor improvements over the RE262 for a lot more coin... The steeper rise in the midrange and less of a shelf in the treble makes it less midcentric and more treble-present, I can tell, but by how much?

I covered the differences in more detail than I can probably recall now at innerfidelity here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/hifiman-re-262-and-re-272-ear-heaphones-page-2

I find the improvements of the RE272, when taken summarily, to be 'worth it' for me. The 272 matches my signature better than the RE262 as a result and its shortcomings are easier for me to ignore in casual listening. I think the mids and treble of the RE272 are very good - more to my liking than, for example, those of the UE900 or EX1000. 

Nov 19, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #8,765 of 16,931
Here's the sorting order for confused people. I haven't heard RE252 yet.

Bass amount: RE262 = RE-ZERO > RE0 > RE272 (spread: 30%)
Bass impact: RE-ZERO > RE262 > RE0 > RE272 (50%)
Mids smoothness: RE272 = RE262 > RE-ZERO > RE0 (30%)
Mids body: RE262 > RE-ZERO > RE272 = RE0 (30%)
Highs peakiness: RE0 > RE-ZERO = RE272 > RE262 (20%)
Highs amount: RE0 > RE-ZERO = RE272 > RE262 (20%)
Soundstage width: RE272 > RE-ZERO > RE262 = RE0 (20%)
Soundstage depth: RE-ZERO = RE272 > RE262 > RE0 (20%)
Reverberation: RE-ZERO > RE0 > RE272 = RE262 (30%)
General clarity: RE272 = RE-ZERO > RE262 > RE0 (20%)
Amping improvement: RE262 > RE0 > RE-ZERO > RE272 (10%)

For me, RE-ZERO is the optimum combination. (RE272 w/ foam case mod is close too due to more bass impact and bit more volume, but loses on mids.) I can't really understand why Joker calls RE-ZERO claustrophobic in comparison with RE262, which is laid back, but not as spacious. I did notice that RE-ZERO gets "squashed" when it's put in too deep or with the wrong tips. (with too high ear canal air pressure?)
(Similar issue with RE0.)
Funny thing: Head-direct is now out of RE-ZERO. I suspect lurkers reading this thread bought some.

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #8,766 of 16,931
Quote:
It really depends on whether you value bass that is accurate and controlled or powerful and enhanced. If it's the latter, chances are neither the RE262 or GR01 will do it for you. In general, the RE262 is warmer and smoother, with fuller bass, thicker mids, more laid-back treble and a mellower overall sound. The GR01 is brighter and leaner-sounding, with flat bass and typically "quicker" sound.

Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning towards the RE262s, but your comment about bass has made me hesitate a little. I'm not sure a fan of analytical headphones when it comes IEMs, rather wanting a 'fun' pair for daily use.

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #8,767 of 16,931
Tom.. the Fischer Audio Tandem might be something to look into.  I'd consider it a more (tonally) neutral take on the RE262.

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #8,768 of 16,931
Quote:
  Tom.. the Fischer Audio Tandem might be something to look into.  I'd consider it a more (tonally) neutral take on the RE262.

Thanks, though I'm not necessarily looking for something neutral here; the 262 actually seems like a good choice, though I'm curious about what the new RE400/600 bring to the table.

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #8,769 of 16,931
Quote:
Thanks, though I'm not necessarily looking for something neutral here; the 262 actually seems like a good choice, though I'm curious about what the new RE400/600 bring to the table.

The only "problem" I find in the RE-262 it's their bass. It's there, the quality is good, but the quantity is lacking. The thing is that I can completely solve this problem with my JDSLabs c421, just by turning the bass bost on. This simple action transforms the RE-262 into a totally different IEM in the low-end, making it very pleasing and with very good bass response...

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #8,770 of 16,931
Howdy Joker,

I would like to have your recommendation for IEM's in $20-$30 price range. I own an HD 238 however I am bit reluctant to use them while traveling. I mostly listen to metal, rock, jazz, blues and a lot of fusion. I wouldnt mind bass heavy IEM's. Looking to bag a deal during the black friday weekend. Thanks.

P.S : Appreciate your effort on the forum Man. Judging by the list of cans you owned and reviewed, you have to be the craziest audiophile I've ever come across. Would love to test as many cans as you have.

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #8,771 of 16,931
Hey Joker,

I am waiting eagerly for your Rockit Sounds R-50 review.
popcorn.gif
  My friend wonders if it is better than Dba 02.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #8,773 of 16,931
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning towards the RE262s, but your comment about bass has made me hesitate a little. I'm not sure a fan of analytical headphones when it comes IEMs, rather wanting a 'fun' pair for daily use.

I don't consider the 262 analytical but it's just not bass-enhanced. I imagine putente's complaint would be echoed by much of the music-listening public on hearing the RE262. 

Quote:
Howdy Joker,

I would like to have your recommendation for IEM's in $20-$30 price range. I own an HD 238 however I am bit reluctant to use them while traveling. I mostly listen to metal, rock, jazz, blues and a lot of fusion. I wouldnt mind bass heavy IEM's. Looking to bag a deal during the black friday weekend. Thanks.

For something that's that price every day I'd consider the Philips SHE3580. The VSonic GR99 may be another option. It's hard to predict what other IEMs may fall into the $30 range with black Friday promos so you might have to just wait in and see. With these two you certainly aren't settling anyway. 

Quote:
P.S : Appreciate your effort on the forum Man. Judging by the list of cans you owned and reviewed, you have to be the craziest audiophile I've ever come across. Would love to test as many cans as you have.

Thanks! I think it's the passion for hearing music with some concern for quality that makes one an audiophile. You can certainly have just one pair of headphones. You can also have many also, but at the end of the day it still has to be about the music 
wink.gif

Quote:
Hey Joker,

I am waiting eagerly for your Rockit Sounds R-50 review.
popcorn.gif
  My friend wonders if it is better than Dba 02.

The DBA-02 is out of production but the R-50 is at least as good as the DBA-02 mkII. Review should be either the next one posted or the one after that.

Quote:
I suggest you add the Brainwavz R1 dual driver dynamic iem to your list it is a very interesting entry to the iemdom

Maybe someday. I had a chance to briefly try one and I didn't think it was as good as their new M5 but I hope to revisit it in the future.

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #8,774 of 16,931
Joker,

Are entry level custom IEMs such as Alclair Reference any better than a high end universal IEM such as Westone 4 in terms of SQ assuming isolation is comparable?  I can buy W4 for $350 or buy a custom IEM which will cost me around $500 with impressions, shipping etc. Whats your take on this ?

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #8,775 of 16,931
Quote:
Joker,

Are entry level custom IEMs such as Alclair Reference any better than a high end universal IEM such as Westone 4 in terms of SQ assuming isolation is comparable?  I can buy W4 for $350 or buy a custom IEM which will cost me around $500 with impressions, shipping etc. Whats your take on this ?

I'd seriously consider looking at the cosmic ears thread. They had a supplier issue, but all reports suggest that their $500 triple driver hybrids are pretty great, with a fun signature rivaling many high priced universals, and they can be made with a lot or a little bass. They also have twin driver BA (two drivers one BA unit) and a dual driver BA (two drivers, in two separate housings), and a quad driver BA, all very reasonably priced. And, regardless of SQ, they are very well made customs, so isolation is supposed to be phenomenal, on par with any top of the line custom. They have single BA models and dynamic models which are both only ~$100

They are burried in the thread, but there are a number of reviews peppered throughout: http://www.head-fi.org/t/626714/cosmic-ears-new-ciem-company-with-crazy-low-prices-including-hybrid-designs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back