Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Nov 7, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #8,656 of 16,931
Quote:
I just saw the spreadsheet (duh) and did some analysis.  Based on ljokerl's excellent reviews, here is a list sorted by the most comfortable and best sound under $120 (for anyone interested...)  Sort order is least to most expensive, the best to worst comfort and then best to worst sound.  All of them scored at least 4/5 on comfort and 7.5/10 on sound:

Xears TD-III Blackwood v2
VSonic GR06
Fischer Audio Consonance
Fischer Audio Eterna
ECCI PR401
Head-Direct (HiFiMan) RE0
Etymotic Research MC5 / MC2 / MC3
Phiaton PS 20
MEElectronics CC51 / CC51P
Audéo Phonak Perfect Bass
Head-Direct (HiFiMan) RE-ZERO
HiSoundAudio Crystal
JVC HA-FXD80
Etymotic Research HF5 / HF2 / HF3 

Now, where to spend my $100...

JJ

where your signature man , what you want ?  balance hf5 , bass td III , eterna and pr401 , but for a cheap price and all round performance , imo the cc51 and gr06 will top the charts . my vote is for cc51 , awesome under $60 , gr06 not too far but to me it lacks bass and for many it has harsh treble . and for under $120 , i got a er-4p at nearly that price .

ask me , what sounds best , i will say , pick a ety hf5 . but you may not like the ruler flat sound sig .

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #8,657 of 16,931
Xears doesn't make the TD3 Blackwood anymore (replaced by TD4 Black Ebony Wood) and their prices have risen (or at least are high in EU).

The safest picks from these are JVC HA-FXD80, Hifiman RE0 and VSonic GR06 in my opinion, in this order. Though RE0 is a bit picky about ears and fit - and has much thinner sound as well as notably worse build quality, but sports superior highs performance. JVC is subbass oriented with low mids cut, while GR06 is somewhat hotter sound with more midbass, kind of similar to a rolled off version of GR07.
I prefer JVCs in terms of comfort - VSonic's case is blocky and large, yet they require deep insertion for best sound.

RE-ZERO perhaps are an option too, but they're much harder to find, limited edition and whatnot. Better cabling is the most important difference from RE0. Sound is almost identical.

Audeo PFE012 is nice, but a step or two behind the top three in all regards except comfort, which is near perfect.
Phiaton PS20 is all about pretty midrange and soundstaging, not much else to recommend it.
Eternas and MEElec CC51 are plain lower quality than the abovementioned competitors.
Etys HF are, well, balanced armature through and through - with superfast impactless bass (at least correct quantity now, unlike ER4S, but less precise in highs) and excellent precision in the midrange. Highs don't compare to ER4S or RE0 even.
Etys MC are instead rolled off noticeably and can't compete in general with anything on this list.

I haven't heard Crystal, FA Consonance or ECCI PR401 yet out of this list.

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #8,658 of 16,931
Quote:
I just saw the spreadsheet (duh) and did some analysis.  Based on ljokerl's excellent reviews, here is a list sorted by the most comfortable and best sound under $120 (for anyone interested...)  Sort order is least to most expensive, the best to worst comfort and then best to worst sound.  All of them scored at least 4/5 on comfort and 7.5/10 on sound:

Xears TD-III Blackwood v2
VSonic GR06
Fischer Audio Consonance
Fischer Audio Eterna
ECCI PR401
Head-Direct (HiFiMan) RE0
Etymotic Research MC5 / MC2 / MC3
Phiaton PS 20
MEElectronics CC51 / CC51P
Audéo Phonak Perfect Bass
Head-Direct (HiFiMan) RE-ZERO
HiSoundAudio Crystal
JVC HA-FXD80
Etymotic Research HF5 / HF2 / HF3 

Now, where to spend my $100...

JJ

Please provide more details about the type of sound signature you are looking for, and what sound genres you like. I would personally go after the GR06, PFE Perfect Bass, or the HF5.

Nov 7, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #8,659 of 16,931
Quote:

where your signature man , what you want ?  balance hf5 , bass td III , eterna and pr401 , but for a cheap price and all round performance , imo the cc51 and gr06 will top the charts . my vote is for cc51 , awesome under $60 , gr06 not too far but to me it lacks bass and for many it has harsh treble . and for under $120 , i got a er-4p at nearly that price .

ask me , what sounds best , i will say , pick a ety hf5 . but you may not like the ruler flat sound sig .

don't need a lot of bass but I like just about everything from blues to beebop, classical to classic rock.  I'm wondering if flat is what I really want and let the source dictate the highs, mids, and lows? 

HF5's are a little out of my price, I'm pushing it at $100 already, so the GR06 seems pretty good from your rec.  Right form factor for my ears and a lot of agreement on the excellent sound for the price. 

Shure SE215s are still in the mix but lots of folks have trouble with the fit. I did try MEE A161Ps but didn't like the fit.  They seemed really balanced, tho.  I hear mixed reviews for Klipsch S4's but I'm still thinking about them too.

Problem is I don't have a place I can test drive, so it feels like I'm gambling on my first real IEMs...

JJ

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #8,660 of 16,931
Quote:
don't need a lot of bass but I like just about everything from blues to beebop, classical to classic rock.  I'm wondering if flat is what I really want and let the source dictate the highs, mids, and lows? 

HF5's are a little out of my price, I'm pushing it at $100 already, so the GR06 seems pretty good from your rec.  Right form factor for my ears and a lot of agreement on the excellent sound for the price. 

Shure SE215s are still in the mix but lots of folks have trouble with the fit. I did try MEE A161Ps but didn't like the fit.  They seemed really balanced, tho.  I hear mixed reviews for Klipsch S4's but I'm still thinking about them too.

Problem is I don't have a place I can test drive, so it feels like I'm gambling on my first real IEMs...

JJ

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Portable-In-Ear-Earphones/dp/B000XP8DJC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352341561&sr=8-1&keywords=hf5

it still may be a bit over your budget, but I think it was one of my best buys. I lost my first pair just to buy them again. The first pair I bought was @ US$ 89 from amazon

Still, the alternatives are not bad.

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #8,661 of 16,931
Quote:

HF5's are perfect for you. Amazon (JR retailer) sells it for $100. 

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #8,662 of 16,931
Quote:
Thank you so much for your hard work, and for the new review of the V3. I placed the order for them a couple of days ago, and I am really looking forward to hearing them.

At the moment I use my Denon 710 and I like the soundstage alot, if you remember what is the difference between the soundstage of 710 and V3?

Again thank you! :)

I haven't heard the C710 in a long time. The V3 isn't extremely spacious but it's really nice and versatile with good depth and layering. I don't think you'll be disappointed
wink.gif

Quote:
i just brought an er-4p from dixons at the istanbul airport . are there fake er-4p in the market ? cuz the unit was priced as low as 102 euro , and the shure se215 were 105 euros . can it be fake ?

Not that I've heard. I would think the ER4 is pretty safe - not enough room in there for a dynamic driver, which is what every counterfeit I know of has used.

Quote:
From your review the E10 sounds too bassy, if that's the case I think I'll go with the CW31, I'm liking it. Thanks for the help :)

CW31 has less bass for sure. Also not a trebly/fatiguing sound at all.

Quote:
when will we have got Heir IEM and CIEMS reviews, duuuuuuuuuuuuuDE?

No set plans at this time but I may get my hands on an 8.A eventually. 

Quote:

JJ

What didn't you like about the fit of the A161P? It's one of the more comfortable deep-insertion earphones I've used. If that deep of a seal didn't work for you, the HF5 probably won't either. In that case I'd try something with a shallower fit, like the GR06 or Rock-It R-30. 

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #8,663 of 16,931
Quote:

JJ

gr06 i think will suit you best , not a bass phone , really nice mids and a bit peaky highs , and i like those highs . only trouble is over the ear is the only way with gr06 .
            and man , hf5 worth that push of $10 , at $110 you are getting gem of a phone . best balance for the price range . jhelsas has shared a well priced link too .
            se215 is over priced , here it is $120 , and at the price i can get a gr06 and a ue500 . and image s4 is the least you need , least refined phone for $70 . unless you want big bass with
            harsh high . MEE a161p , sadly is not available here .

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #8,664 of 16,931
Quote:
Not that I've heard. I would think the ER4 is pretty safe - not enough room in there for a dynamic driver, which is what every counterfeit I know of has used.

thanks , it sounds like genuine , but the price is what got my attention .

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #8,665 of 16,931
Well, I wouldn't recommend GR06 for classic rock, they add unwarranted hotness and bite to its sound; less than GR07 though. JVCs on the other hand may have too much bass changing the focus.
RE0 is nice if you expect to fix it if it breaks - it's a bit distorted in the mids. Ety HF5 is also nice for this genre, a bit 4k-shouty, but they have too little bass impact, so drums don't sound exactly natural even if they do sound neutral. They also require very deep fit too.

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #8,666 of 16,931
Quote:

I haven't heard the C710 in a long time. The V3 isn't extremely spacious but it's really nice and versatile with good depth and layering. I don't think you'll be disappointed
wink.gif

Thank you for your response, this is my first plunge into customs so I hope I will be satisfied! I placed the order a day or so before your review came out and I am really happy they ended up almost on top of your point scale
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #8,667 of 16,931
can anyone tell me how ue700 fares? the sound quality and build
i have one here but have mixed feelings about it (sometimes sound very marvelous in my ears but at times can be irritating)
please ignore the price comparison between ue700 and triple fi 10 cos ue 700 is priced at S$189 and the latter is at S$649, though i noe amazon sell ue 700 at US$160+ currently

Nov 8, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #8,668 of 16,931
           the sound quality is good for the price , i paid $135 for the ue 700 , sound is flat , bass is good as its got two drivers . but cant take on dynamics at all , vocal mids are awesome , upper mid is a bit off and highs are not bad , still 90% people wont notice that at all , cuz the sound is so involving and cohesive that it keeps you engaged for the whole time unless you are using low quality audio tracks which have flaws in themselves . ue700 is not forgiving like its big brother triple fi10 . but not worst too .
          build is bad , the chrome paint comes off with time , i had cable problem with both of my units ( one i brought and one they replaced ) . at the end i ended up with a ue600 replacement and a gaming mouse . i had to take the ue600 cuz they refused to give me the third ue700 , its not that bad but still bad enough to call it bad . i loved the sound quality but sadly the build is not for me . after use , put it in the case , dont put stress on the cable , take care of the entry points at earphones as they dont have any stress reliever . ue 600 is nearly same in build but its still running . may be i have become cautious .

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #8,669 of 16,931

JJ

Get the ety MC5, sounds 90% the same as the hf5 or even ER4 for well within your price range. Most important thing with etys is to get a deep fit somehow, not how expensive the model.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 8, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #8,670 of 16,931
Quote:

wink.gif

CW31 has less bass for sure. Also not a trebly/fatiguing sound at all.

No set plans at this time but I may get my hands on an 8.A eventually. 

What didn't you like about the fit of the A161P? It's one of the more comfortable deep-insertion earphones I've used. If that deep of a seal didn't work for you, the HF5 probably won't either. In that case I'd try something with a shallower fit, like the GR06 or Rock-It R-30. 

Couldn't get a good over the ear fit with the A161Ps.  I also sometimes like to lay on my side when I'm listening and the shell fo the A161P is a little large.  Worried that a deep insertion tip may not be for me anyway.  GR06 keeps coming up as a possibility but I did a lot of reading about Phonak 021/022s last night.  Very interesting especially with the filters that change the sound signature.  Might be a good starter for me so I can experiment and discover what signature I'm most comfortable with.

Besides relax time, I listen for hours at work, so comfort, isolation and build quality are important.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back