Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Oct 28, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #8,506 of 16,931
Wow. One of your best reviews ever. Almost like reading two reviews at the same time (ue900 and tf10)

Whe only need a score for the tf10 and end of the story, seems like you would pick the ue900 over the tf10.

Oct 28, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #8,508 of 16,931
Quote:
Great UE900 review, Joker. I'm still deciding between keeping my SM3's, going for those, and just getting from 1964 V3's .

First world problems 
rolleyes.gif

UE900 is more accurate than the SM3, though not as warm, thick, or intimate. The V3 is somewhere between the two in signature. If you like a warm, musical sound I would go for the V3s. If you're looking for something flatter, especially through the lower mids and bass, perhaps the UE900 will suit you better. 

Quote:
PFE232 vs Etymotic Research ER-4S
which has better details for vocals (singers breath- for example) ?

Both have excellent detail retrieval. If you're looking for natural reproduction of vocals I would probably go for the ER4S just so you can be sure that enhanced bass won't get in the way (the PFE232 is a lot bassier).

Quote:

And if by 3D scans you meant a tomography or magnetic resonance scan... no, that's not going to happen any time soon. The machines are far too expensive.

I was thinking of something like the Lantos scanner: http://www.lantostechnologies.com/

Only reason to use an already-available printer for custom tips/enclosures would be cost/convenience, though it seems like that's a ways down the line at this point.

Quote:
I really didn't expect you to review the UE900. Enjoyed reading it though.

beerchug.gif

Quote:
Wow. One of your best reviews ever. Almost like reading two reviews at the same time (ue900 and tf10)
Whe only need a score for the tf10 and end of the story, seems like you would pick the ue900 over the tf10.

I would pick the UE900 over the TF10 9 out of 10 times. The one time I would go for the TF10 would be when I was listening to something like EDM and wanted a more lively, v-shaped sound. TF10 sound score would be somewhere in the Shure SE530 - Sony XBA-4 range on my scale. 

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #8,509 of 16,931
Do you have any recommendations on reducing the sibilance on the B2s? I feel that using the Comply foams kind of help reduce the slight sibilance when compared to the silicone tips it came with, but that could just be because of different factors. Would the Shure olive tips for the SE215 help reduce it a slight bit, yet offer a better seal compared to the silicone tips? I just don't like the extra sibilance the silicone tips add, and the lack of fullness and bass the comply foams offer.

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #8,510 of 16,931
Quote:
Do you have any recommendations on reducing the sibilance on the B2s? I feel that using the Comply foams kind of help reduce the slight sibilance when compared to the silicone tips it came with, but that could just be because of different factors. Would the Shure olive tips for the SE215 help reduce it a slight bit, yet offer a better seal compared to the silicone tips? I just don't like the extra sibilance the silicone tips add, and the lack of fullness and bass the comply foams offer.

From my own experience, comply tips gave me a good seal, but the shure olives gave me a great seal on the B2, but of course YMMV.

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #8,511 of 16,931
Quote:
I haven't even heard the PFE232 and I can already tell you the ER-4S wins in the details department.

Heck, the HF5s win in that department, and the vocals department.  So I wouldn't have any doubt that the ER4 would do better as well.  I haven't heard the ER4 though, so take my statements with a grain of salt :p

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #8,512 of 16,931
Thanks for the review, ljokerl. i think you summed up the UE900 very well as ' the high-end earphone for the masses.'
I think the UE900 is one of the best sounding universal IEM ever created for mainstream music, and for that reason alone I rank it above the SM3 and next to the ex1000. Still can't get over the delicious weighty meaty sound.

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #8,513 of 16,931
Got my SHE3590 (The 80 wasn't available). I am highly impressed. Good sub-bass and mid-bass while still sounding clean and the best part is that when you listen to music that isn't very bass heavy, they don't sound muffled. I also bought other budget models but they weren't as good.

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #8,514 of 16,931
Quote:

It will really depend on your ears. Personally, I got the best seal with the thicker silicone tips from Shure. You can always resort to a bit of EQ if a particular treble range is bothering you.

Quote:
Thanks for the review, ljokerl. i think you summed up the UE900 very well as ' the high-end earphone for the masses.'
I think the UE900 is one of the best sounding universal IEM ever created for mainstream music, and for that reason alone I rank it above the SM3 and next to the ex1000. Still can't get over the delicious weighty meaty sound.

Yep, they are good all-rounders and seem like they are tuned to be particularly inoffensive. Even my 128k mp3s and awful Megadeth remasters sound ok on them. 

Quote:
Got my SHE3590 (The 80 wasn't available). I am highly impressed. Good sub-bass and mid-bass while still sounding clean and the best part is that when you listen to music that isn't very bass heavy, they don't sound muffled. I also bought other budget models but they weren't as good.

Glad the 3590s were available. I've picked up a few budget IEMs in the past year but none have measured up to the SHE3580.

Oct 29, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #8,515 of 16,931
Quote:

Even my 128k mp3s and awful Megadeth remasters sound ok on them. 

Glad the 3590s were available. I've picked up a few budget IEMs in the past year but none have measured up to the SHE3580.

Is there a good Megadeth remaster?

I've heard that the $20 Sony IEMs (according to ClieOS) represent a similar value. I'm considering checking them out.

Oct 29, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #8,517 of 16,931
@joker

Any comparison of UE900 to EPH-100 in bass(quantity, quality), mids, treble(quantity, quality), presentation, soundstage, instrument separation and overall?

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #8,519 of 16,931
Superb review mate on UE900, after reading that, and TF10 being my favourite IEM of all time, made me want to rush out and buy UE900 -- better wait until the price drops to maybe $250, Amazon's Black Friday 2013 sale perhaps? 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back