Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Oct 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #8,371 of 16,931
Quote:
i can confirm that. A161p uses ED,
W1 and R-30 use BK. the dunu i 3c too

Thanks, good to know. Funny how the pictures I've seen of the I 3C-S make the driver look like a dual BA unit. 

Quote:
Can I request a direct comparison between Brainwavz M2 and the Vsonic GR06? The lows, mids and highs?

I have the M2's and I'm thinking of a buying an IEM that has a different signature to them. Over-the-ears would be preferred. I'd like something that focuses on clarity, less bass, soundstage, quite the opposite of the M2's. I'm currently thinking about the GR06 for it. Am I on the right direction? 
confused_face(1).gif

Hoping for your replies guys. Thanks! 

The GR06 has a cooler signature with more treble emphasis. Overall it's quicker-sounding and more refined, with a wider stage and less intimate presentation. Bass is tighter as well. It's a good upgrade but  it doesn't really go to the absolute opposite extremes of the M2 - for that you'd need something like a Sunrise Xcited or maybe a BA-based set. 

Quote:
Hello joker. I'd be happy if I could get some help from you :)
I asked you a question on your Portable Headphones guide, and I'll also ask you a question here :)
I've been wanting to buy IEM's at around 40$, I want good treble (not painful and harsh, perferably smooth and well.. good sounding :p ), a wide soundstage if possible and COMFORT :p I'd also love for some smooth vocals.
I've been looking into the Rock it Sounds R-20, do you think I should buy them? I read from you and some other reviewer that the treble isn't so good. Perhaps should I get the VSonic GR02? Or will it be too bassy for me?
I wanted to buy the VSonic GR06 originally but I want to spend as little as possible, I don't really work and have a lot of money ^^"
As for genres, as I said in the other threads mostly Rock and Metal, but also Jazz and orchestral music. A little bit of bassy music.
Thanks alot! :)

The R-20 is decent all-around but really doesn't have a wide stage. The R-30 is better but also pricier. The GR02 also has the typical treble hotness of the VSonic stuff, I don't think it's what you want. You might want to chance the monoprice MEP-933 / 8320 if you think the fit might work for your ears. About as cheap as it gets, and has smooth sound with a wide stage. Otherwise a MEElec CW31 would probably be my choice, or a Soundmagic E30.

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #8,372 of 16,931
Quote:

Thanks, good to know. Funny how the pictures I've seen of the I 3C-S make the driver look like a dual BA unit. 

The GR06 has a cooler signature with more treble emphasis. Overall it's quicker-sounding and more refined, with a wider stage and less intimate presentation. Bass is tighter as well. It's a good upgrade but  it doesn't really go to the absolute opposite extremes of the M2 - for that you'd need something like a Sunrise Xcited or maybe a BA-based set. 

The R-20 is decent all-around but really doesn't have a wide stage. The R-30 is better but also pricier. The GR02 also has the typical treble hotness of the VSonic stuff, I don't think it's what you want. You might want to chance the monoprice MEP-933 / 8320 if you think the fit might work for your ears. About as cheap as it gets, and has smooth sound with a wide stage. Otherwise a MEElec CW31 would probably be my choice, or a Soundmagic E30.

Thanks for the reply! :)
So do you think the monoprice 8320 will be better for me than the R20 or GR20? I have the AKG Q350 which I bought quite a while ago, they sound ok (pretty harsh treble) but the comfort is aweful, I can't walk around with them comfortably. I hope the monoprice could be comfortable for me. The shipping is very expensive if I'll be sending it to Israel, but I might be able to send it to my girlfriend's relative in the US which will be alot cheaper. I thought about buying them just for the hell of it, great reviews and very cheap XD
Regarding the CW31, what makes you think they'd fit better for me? As I saw you gave them a lower score than most other headphones mentioned.
Thanks alot for your help :)

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #8,373 of 16,931
Quote:
Thanks for the reply! :)
So do you think the monoprice 8320 will be better for me than the R20 or GR20? I have the AKG Q350 which I bought quite a while ago, they sound ok (pretty harsh treble) but the comfort is aweful, I can't walk around with them comfortably. I hope the monoprice could be comfortable for me. The shipping is very expensive if I'll be sending it to Israel, but I might be able to send it to my girlfriend's relative in the US which will be alot cheaper. I thought about buying them just for the hell of it, great reviews and very cheap XD
Regarding the CW31, what makes you think they'd fit better for me? As I saw you gave them a lower score than most other headphones mentioned.
Thanks alot for your help :)

See below for why I think the CW31 or 8320 will work better for you. Doesn't really matter how good the other models sound if they don't fit what you're looking for. The CW31 is much safer than the 8320 in terms of fit, etc, and still has a decently wide soundstage and very smooth sound. The 8320 really won't work for all ears. Good news is your Q350 tips should fit it.

Quote:

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #8,374 of 16,931
Quote:

See below for why I think the CW31 or 8320 will work better for you. Doesn't really matter how good the other models sound if they don't fit what you're looking for. The CW31 is much safer than the 8320 in terms of fit, etc, and still has a decently wide soundstage and very smooth sound. The 8320 really won't work for all ears. Good news is your Q350 tips should fit it.

Lol, I actually didn't really like the Q350 tips and bought Sony hybrids from eBay, only I'm suspecting they're fake ones lol. Still uncomfortable.
What tips would you recommend for the 8320?
I'd love for a description of what "typical treble hotness of the VSonic stuff" means :)
Clarity is also quite important for me, will the CW31 be clear enough? I heard the A151 were great and a long time ago I was thinking of buying these, but then I heard the GR06 are better. In any case, i'd like to spend less at the moment, and I can buy the CW31 on eBay for 35$ with shipping which looks like a good price.
I might even buy both the CW31 and the 8320, just for the amazing price XD

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #8,375 of 16,931
Quote:
Lol, I actually didn't really like the Q350 tips and bought Sony hybrids from eBay, only I'm suspecting they're fake ones lol. Still uncomfortable.
What tips would you recommend for the 8320?
I'd love for a description of what "typical treble hotness of the VSonic stuff" means :)
Clarity is also quite important for me, will the CW31 be clear enough? I heard the A151 were great and a long time ago I was thinking of buying these, but then I heard the GR06 are better. In any case, i'd like to spend less at the moment, and I can buy the CW31 on eBay for 35$ with shipping which looks like a good price.
I might even buy both the CW31 and the 8320, just for the amazing price XD

The GR02 is more sibilant than the average mid/high-end earphone, as are the rest of the VSonic dynamics I've heard.

I don't know of any silicone tips more comfortable than Hybrids. You are either not using the right size for your ears, haven't acclimated to something being in your ear canals, or maybe IEMs just aren't for you. Last resort would be Comply foam but they are pricy. The Monoprice and CW31 are both shallow-insertion earphones which should help comfort. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #8,376 of 16,931
Would you consider the Gr06s sibilant or fatiguing in the highs? I'm planning to purchase those headphones if the R1s do not turn out to be the great headphones I expect (ex. fatiguing highs, low quality, etc.).

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #8,377 of 16,931
Added Rock-It Sounds R-10 and R-11

Quote:
(3B35) Rock-It Sounds R-10

Added Oct 2012

Details: Entry-level earphone from Rock-It Sounds
Current Price: $20 from rockitsounds.com (MSRP: $19.99)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 16Ω | Sens: 105 dB | Freq: 20-20k Hz | Cable: 4.2' I-plug
Nozzle Size: N/A (oval) | Preferred tips: Stock single-flanges, generic bi-flanges
Wear Style: Over-the-ear

Accessories (3.5/5) – Single-flange silicone tips (3 sizes), airline adapter, and clamshell carrying case
Build Quality (3.5/5) – The R-10 utilizes a plastic housing with a rubber bumper, integrated strain relief, oval nozzles with metal filters, and a plastic-sheathed cable. The molding is a little rough around the edges but durability should be excellent for an entry-level product
Isolation (3/5) – Isolation is limited by the shallow fit but is sufficient for general use
Microphonics (4.5/5) – Cable noise can be coerced with cord-down wear but is nonexistent in the intended over-the-ear configuration
Comfort (4.5/5) – The housings are lightweight and highly ergonomic. The rounded shells and rubber bumpers are reminiscent of the highly-acclaimed JVC AirCushions but the over-the-ear fit makes the R-10 more secure and reduces cable noise

Sound (4.7/10) – The sound signature of the R-10 is a warm and consumer-friendly one, with enhanced bass and relaxed treble. Bass extension is decent but the low end is a little boomy compared to similarly-priced sets such as the UE100. Impact is similar to the MEElectronics M9, though the M9 has more subbass and less upper bass for a less bloated sound. Midrange bleed is noticeable but the R-10 displays mids very prominently and could even be called mid-centric. Detail and clarity lag slightly behind the more balanced-sounding UE100 and are no match for the higher-end Rock-It models.

The treble is laid-back and lacking in both sparkle and extension. There’s not a whole lot of air to the sound as a result and the R-10 gets congested easily. Still, the presentation is forward overall and the strong, upfront midrange prevents the earphones from sounding distant and uninvolving as some other entry-level IEMs, such as the Panasonic HJE120, can.

Value (7.5/10) – Priced at just $20, the R-10 is a decent-sounding and very well-designed option for the general consumer. The lightweight, over-the-ear form factor allows the R-10 to be comfortable, secure in the ear, and low on cable noise and the bass- and midrange-heavy sound is non-fatiguing, if somewhat muddy. First-time IEM owners will be happy with the bass and the R-10 makes a great disposable set for the gym. Just don’t expect it to deliver the refinement of Rock-It’s higher-end models.

Pros: Comfortable over-the-ear fit; nearly no cable noise, well-built and accessorized for the price
Cons: Lackluster sound heavy on the bass and midrange

(3B36) Rock-It Sounds R-11

Added Oct 2012

Details: Entry-level earphone from Rock-It Sounds
Current Price: $25 from rockitsounds.com (MSRP: $24.99)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 16Ω | Sens: 105 dB | Freq: 20-20k Hz | Cable: 4.2' I-plug
Nozzle Size: 5mm | Preferred tips: Stock single-flanges
Wear Style: Over-the-ear

Accessories (3.5/5) - Single-flange silicone tips (3 sizes), removable rubber bumpers (3 sizes), airline adapter, and clamshell carrying case
Build Quality (3.5/5) – The R-11 utilizes plastic housings with a trio of removable rubber bumpers that slide onto the nozzle before the eartip. The cable is twisted, identical to those found on Rock-It’s higher-end models and the MEElectronics A151 – very impressive for an entry-level set
Isolation (3.5/5) – Isolation is improved compared to the R-10 model. A deeper fit is possible with the front bumpers removed (shown)
Microphonics (5/5) – Cable noise is nonexistent with the excellent twisted cable
Comfort (4.5/5) – The housings are lightweight and highly ergonomic. Over-the-ear fitment makes the R-11 secure and the twisted cable is a pleasure to use. The rubber bumpers can be used for stability with a shallow fit or removed entirely for a deeper seal

Sound (4.2/10) – The sound of the R-11 is reminiscent of the cheaper R-10 model, but while the housings of the R-10 are vented, the R-11 appears to be sealed. This has a negative effect on the sound – the R-11 is still a warm, bass- and mid-focused earphone but its sound isn’t as clear and well-defined as that of the R-10. The bass is noticeably heavier but also boomier and more prone to bleeding up into the midrange. Bass extension is improved but the cost to the overall sound quality is too great.

The heavier bass bleed causes the midrange to sound more muffled compared to the R-10 and sacrifices even more of the clarity. Treble response seems to be less affected by the sealed housings of the R-11 but is still drowned out more by the heavier bass of the R-11. The presentation is intimate and the R-11 has the same tendency towards becoming congested as the R-10.

Value (7/10) – While the R-11 improves on the R-10 in several areas, its non-vented housings result in sound that is less suitable for the discerning listener. The bass is deeper and heavier at the expense of clarity and accuracy and the entire experience becomes more muddy and bloated. The interchangeable front bumpers and excellent twisted cable – a definite luxury in this price bracket - are worthy of a thumbs-up but aren’t quite enough to make the R-11 worth recommending over the R-10.

Pros: Comfortable over-the-ear fit; excellent cable; no cable noise, well accessorized for the price
Cons: Audio quality lags behind cheaper R-10 model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycho /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Would you consider the Gr06s sibilant or fatiguing in the highs? I'm planning to purchase those headphones if the R1s do not turn out to be the great headphones I expect (ex. fatiguing highs, low quality, etc.).

A little sibilant. Don't get me wrong - I still enjoy my GR06 hugely. I just won't recommend it to someone asking specifically for an IEM with smooth treble. Enough excellent IEMs out there in every price range to have the luxury of doing that now.

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #8,378 of 16,931
Quote:
Quote:
What's the best IEM for my budget, which is AUD $50? (Willing to pay ~$5 more if it makes a BIG difference)
I don't know anything about highs,mids,lows, treble, bass, v-shaped, "fun" sounding, or any of these audiophile terms.
I listen to pretty much every genre, if that helps.

VSonic GR02 Bass Edition if you like plentiful bass, Astrotec AM-90, Soundmagic E30, or Brainwavz M1 if you would prefer to try something a bit more balanced.

Is the Astrotec AM-90 still the best option for under $50?
How about under $100?
The VSonic GR06 is under $70, and has better sound quality than the AM-90, but it's not on Amazon(It's on ebay, but I don't know whether it's the real thing), and it doesn't look as good IMO, so will it be worth it?

Oct 15, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #8,379 of 16,931
Quote:
Is the Astrotec AM-90 still the best option for under $50?
How about under $100?
The VSonic GR06 is under $70, and has better sound quality than the AM-90, but it's not on Amazon(It's on ebay, but I don't know whether it's the real thing), and it doesn't look as good IMO, so will it be worth it?

One of the best, as long as you like a balanced sound. The Rock-It R-20 is pretty much the same earphone in a different shell and with minor tuning differences. I am not aware of any fake VSonic products so I wouldn't worry about buying from ebay. Lendmeurears is an authorized VSonic retailer (both via their site and ebay store) if you really want to be safe. 

In any price range it will depend first and foremost on what you're looking for. There are tons of high bang/buck earphones but just because it sounded best to me at a particular price point doesn't mean it will match your preferences best. 

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #8,380 of 16,931
Quote:

The GR02 is more sibilant than the average mid/high-end earphone, as are the rest of the VSonic dynamics I've heard.

I don't know of any silicone tips more comfortable than Hybrids. You are either not using the right size for your ears, haven't acclimated to something being in your ear canals, or maybe IEMs just aren't for you. Last resort would be Comply foam but they are pricy. The Monoprice and CW31 are both shallow-insertion earphones which should help comfort. 

Ok thanks :)
It's not about the sony hybrid tips, they didn't come in the normal sony hybrids box and even though I was supposed to get only the small size (that has the green color shells), they all have the green color but are in different sizes. My left ear seems to like them but my right ear hates them, no matter which one I use lol. It might also have to do with the Q350 housings. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the Q350 have 5mm drivers and the hybrids are for 3mm drivers (the inner part is kinda stretched when they're on).
So do you think I should buy the hybrids? (original this time). It's just that they're a little expensive, about the price of the Monoprice 8320 :p
Edit: Now looking at it it appears that on the original small is orange and medium is green. They're in different sizes anyway.. Appears they are fake :p
Edit 2: Damn! Amazon are on sale, it appears.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-BLK-Replacement-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24UA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350312887&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+hybrid
http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Enhanced-Hi-Fi-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B007VEQ2UU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1350312887&sr=8-6&keywords=sony+hybrid
That's pretty cheap, good chance I'm buying these XD
Edit 3: According to this review:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R2OPC4VXQV9QJB/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B001RB24UA&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful
They don't fit well with the monoprice earphones. What's your opinon of it? Because you said they fit well in your review. Also, do CW31 tips count as "Meelec long single flange"?

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #8,382 of 16,931
I think this is one of the best headphone guides around. I wonder why this didn't come up when I was googling 'Headphone guide' for weeks...............

[size=small]I'm planning to buy a set of earphones for around 100$ and am tempted to go for the Denon AHC560R. I actually wanted to go for the Vsonic GR6 but it is not available in my country and importing it costs double. Even Shure SE215, Etymotic costs +[/size][size=small]$150.[/size][size=small] I want something with balanced treble, mids and lows. I mainly listen to metal/rock and sometimes pop. The only earphones available around the [/size][size=small]$100 mark are the Denons and Klipsch S4 (currently). Which of these will be good to go? Any other suggestions/alternatives?[/size]

[size=small]Thanks. [/size]

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #8,383 of 16,931
is the r 50 next?

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #8,384 of 16,931
joker, thanks for the lower Rockit additions. kinda disapointed, as their upper models seem to be better (i only tried the R-50)
good thing i went for the philips SHE3*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back