Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Oct 12, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #8,356 of 16,931
Quote:
That almost sounds like S4 > EPH-100

Definitely not. EPH-100 >> S4

Quote:

Well, yea, I basically just picked the top 6 sub 100 from your list. :p

What about the GR06 or Meelecs? Aren't they bassy too?

PS: I don't really want something analytical. They're gonna be for a non-audiophile.

I just picked the ones that I thought had the best sound for a non-audiophile. Balanced aside from a bump in the bass -> HiSound Crystal and Shure SE215. Can't really go wrong with them given no other selection criteria.

Quote:
Any suggestions for an IEM that fits this criteria:
1.  < $30
2.  Has pretty good bass, but doesn't have to be massive
3.  Must have a double/triple flange-type tip to fit my ear  (The Meelectronics M9 stock style for example)
4.  Looking for something with warmer/stronger mids than the M9.  
5.  Prefer trebles not to be super bright

Not a whole lot of IEMs aside from MEElecs come with a large array of tips in that price range. Sound-wise the VSonic GR99 comes to mind. Doesn't come with bi-flange tips but M9 tips would fit it if you have them. Same story with Soundmagic E10 (typically <$35) and Philips SHE3580. 3580 does leave room in the budget for some aftermarket tips. You could also stretch for the VSonic R02 Pro II or GR02 Bass Edition which come with bi-flanges and run $35-40. 

Quote:
why dont have any iem what is 10/10 on value? they want mean all iem it is overpriced?:S

There are a bunch with 10/10s - off the top of my head the old RE0 and RE-ZERO, the original Sunrise Xcape, some of the cheaper BA-based sets (Astrotec AM-90, Rock-It Sounds R-20 & R-30), a couple of VSonics (GR99, GR02 BE, GR06) have 10/10s. There are also dozens with 9/10 or 9.5/10, which are typically fantastic except for some minor flaw. You can search for a particular score by pressing ctrl+f on your keyboard and typing "Value (10" or "Value (9.5", etc.

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #8,357 of 16,931
ok. here's my situation now.
I have the re-262 and jvc fxt90.

Overall I'm pleased with the fxt90 but it is harsh "up there". Does this go away with time?
If it doesn't, what is an alternative with reduced harshness and perhaps even more SUBbass without changing the rest of the spectrum?

for the re-262s, I LOOOVE the mids so much. I can also clearly hear the bass and even subbass. BUT. 
Is there an iem that offers the same sound with even more SUBbass and slightly better treble? (An effect similar to boosting frequencies 30Hz and below by about 15db?)

So in summary. My concern with the fxt90 is harshness and my concern with the re-262s is more subbass.
Any remedies?

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #8,358 of 16,931
Quote:
ok. here's my situation now.
I have the re-262 and jvc fxt90.

Overall I'm pleased with the fxt90 but it is harsh "up there". Does this go away with time?
If it doesn't, what is an alternative with reduced harshness and perhaps even more SUBbass without changing the rest of the spectrum?

for the re-262s, I LOOOVE the mids so much. I can also clearly hear the bass and even subbass. BUT. 
Is there an iem that offers the same sound with even more SUBbass and slightly better treble? (An effect similar to boosting frequencies 30Hz and below by about 15db?)

So in summary. My concern with the fxt90 is harshness and my concern with the re-262s is more subbass.
Any remedies?

The short answer is no, not really. There's no IEM I've heard that does exactly what you want.

The long answer is that depending on what you're willing to sacrifice there may be something that will fit your preferences a bit better.

The JVC FX700, for example, has better sub-bass reach than the FXT90 and was a little less 'hot' in the treble as well. It does have less forward mids however, which it doesn't seem like you want.

The EPH-100 has good, flat bass extension and prominent mids, as well as more relaxed treble, but it raises the mid-bass as well compared to the RE262 and isn't quite as refined overall. It'll likely work better for you than the FXT90 but I can't say it's a better earphone than the RE262. 

Those two are the best I can think of right now.

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #8,360 of 16,931
Quote:

The short answer is no, not really. There's no IEM I've heard that does exactly what you want.

The long answer is that depending on what you're willing to sacrifice there may be something that will fit your preferences a bit better.

The JVC FX700, for example, has better sub-bass reach than the FXT90 and was a little less 'hot' in the treble as well. It does have less forward mids however, which it doesn't seem like you want.

The EPH-100 has good, flat bass extension and prominent mids, as well as more relaxed treble, but it raises the mid-bass as well compared to the RE262 and isn't quite as refined overall. It'll likely work better for you than the FXT90 but I can't say it's a better earphone than the RE262. 

Those two are the best I can think of right now.

Wow. thanks. Didn't know I was that picky with iems.
etysmile.gif

Anyway. I'll keep using the fxt90 for now. If the harshness doesn't go away, I'll sell/trade them for the eph100s. I don't mind a slight mid-bass raise.
That fx700 is too much of a price hike to find what I'm looking for. I'd rather save up and get some customs (even more expensive ones).
As for those re262s. I'll most likely sell them in the coming months. I don't like having to eq iems. I'm in love with those mids but subbbass is a priority for me.

Perhaps you can plan to review the sony xb90ex?

Thanks for the help!!!

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #8,361 of 16,931
Quote:
Wow. thanks. Didn't know I was that picky with iems.
etysmile.gif

Anyway. I'll keep using the fxt90 for now. If the harshness doesn't go away, I'll sell/trade them for the eph100s. I don't mind a slight mid-bass raise.
That fx700 is too much of a price hike to find what I'm looking for. I'd rather save up and get some customs (even more expensive ones).
As for those re262s. I'll most likely sell them in the coming months. I don't like having to eq iems. I'm in love with those mids but subbbass is a priority for me.

Perhaps you can plan to review the sony xb90ex?

Thanks for the help!!!

No plans at this time. I have too many IEMs to review all ready - some of them may never get written up
redface.gif

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #8,363 of 16,931
First of all, amazing work on the thread! It's been extremely useful to me
Now, I'm wondering if you'd heard the Audiofly AF78 and could you give a quick summary of the sound and an estimation of the overall sound score?
Also how well does it stack up to other models in it's price range? For example, the GR07?
Sorry if this is inconvenient, but I'm really interested in this model

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #8,364 of 16,931
Quote:
The new Apple Earpods and Brainwavz R1 have to be on this list ASAP. R1 for being really hyped right now, and Earpods for the sakes of seeing where it would stand. :)

I posted my brief thoughts on the earpods here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/629283/mini-review-thoughts-on-apple-earpods-as-compared-to-the-old-ibuds 

Technically Earpods are not IEMs since there is no seal between the housing and ear canal so I didn't add them to this thread. 

Quote:
First of all, amazing work on the thread! It's been extremely useful to me
Now, I'm wondering if you'd heard the Audiofly AF78 and could you give a quick summary of the sound and an estimation of the overall sound score?
Also how well does it stack up to other models in it's price range? For example, the GR07?
Sorry if this is inconvenient, but I'm really interested in this model

I've only heard the AF78 briefly at a show. It was bass-heavy and not all that coherent and didn't compete well with the GR07 I'd brought. I am not sure if that was the final tuning or not but at this point I wouldn't blindly count on it being a GR07 competitor.

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #8,365 of 16,931
Hi guys, what IEM do you recommend for tech house , deep house, chillout , electo, etc? (Driven by Iphone 4s and creative x fi hd )
Here are my options (selections):

[size=1.7em] Audeo pfe 012 perfect bass (75€)[/size]

[size=1.7em] Shure se215 (92€)[/size]

[size=1.7em] Jvc Ha-fxt90 (95€)[/size]

and something more inexpensive:

MEElectronics A151 (43€)
Denon AH-C452R (39€)
PANASONIC rp-hje 355 (23€)
panasonic rp hje900 (58€)

Thank you in advance!

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #8,366 of 16,931
This was asked via email but I wanted to address it here - I have no idea where the rumor came from but I don't think that the Rock-It Sounds R-30 and MEElec A161P share the same driver. I don't think that the two are voiced all that similarly - the R-30 is warm and smooth while the A161P is crisp, punchy, and aggressive. The A161P uses a Knowles ED armature. I don't know what the R-30 is using but my best guess would be a BK, like the Westone 1. 

Quote:
Hi guys, what IEM do you recommend for tech house , deep house, chillout , electo, etc? (Driven by Iphone 4s and creative x fi hd )
Here are my options (selections):

[size=1.7em] Audeo pfe 012 perfect bass (75€)[/size]

[size=1.7em] Shure se215 (92€)[/size]

[size=1.7em] Jvc Ha-fxt90 (95€)[/size]

and something more inexpensive:

MEElectronics A151 (43€)
Denon AH-C452R (39€)
PANASONIC rp-hje 355 (23€)
panasonic rp hje900 (58€)

Thank you in advance!

Depends on what kind of sound you want.  I will say that's a pretty great price for the HJE900 if you like something exciting with plenty of impact. I think that's a better price than the closeout pricing we had here in the US a few years ago. My next choice would be the FXT90 without knowing more about your signature preferences. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #8,367 of 16,931
Quote:
This was asked via email but I wanted to address it here - I have no idea where the rumor came from but I don't think that the Rock-It Sounds R-30 and MEElec A161P share the same driver. I don't think that the two are voiced all that similarly - the R-30 is warm and smooth while the A161P is crisp, punchy, and aggressive. The A161P uses a Knowles ED armature. I don't know what the R-30 is using but my best guess would be a BK, like the Westone 1. 

i can confirm that. A161p uses ED,
W1 and R-30 use BK. the dunu i 3c too

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #8,368 of 16,931
Can I request a direct comparison between Brainwavz M2 and the Vsonic GR06? The lows, mids and highs?

I have the M2's and I'm thinking of a buying an IEM that has a different signature to them. Over-the-ears would be preferred. I'd like something that focuses on clarity, less bass, soundstage, quite the opposite of the M2's. I'm currently thinking about the GR06 for it. Am I on the right direction? 
confused_face(1).gif

Hoping for your replies guys. Thanks! 

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #8,369 of 16,931
Quote:

I posted my brief thoughts on the earpods here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/629283/mini-review-thoughts-on-apple-earpods-as-compared-to-the-old-ibuds 

Technically Earpods are not IEMs since there is no seal between the housing and ear canal so I didn't add them to this thread. 

I've only heard the AF78 briefly at a show. It was bass-heavy and not all that coherent and didn't compete well with the GR07 I'd brought. I am not sure if that was the final tuning or not but at this point I wouldn't blindly count on it being a GR07 competitor.

Ah, that's slightly disappointing
Thanks for the opinion, joker!

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #8,370 of 16,931
Hello joker. I'd be happy if I could get some help from you :)
I asked you a question on your Portable Headphones guide, and I'll also ask you a question here :)
I've been wanting to buy IEM's at around 40$, I want good treble (not painful and harsh, perferably smooth and well.. good sounding :p ), a wide soundstage if possible and COMFORT :p I'd also love for some smooth vocals.
I've been looking into the Rock it Sounds R-20, do you think I should buy them? I read from you and some other reviewer that the treble isn't so good. Perhaps should I get the VSonic GR02? Or will it be too bassy for me?
I wanted to buy the VSonic GR06 originally but I want to spend as little as possible, I don't really work and have a lot of money ^^"
As for genres, as I said in the other threads mostly Rock and Metal, but also Jazz and orchestral music. A little bit of bassy music.
Thanks alot! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back