Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Sep 17, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #8,178 of 16,931
Quote:
@~ljokerl.
I'm looking for an IEM between $150-$400 which excels in separation, detail, soundstage width, liquid style mid range for vocals. I'm also wanting this to have bass texture similar to EX600 / EX1000, I really enjoy the bass on those EX series. Basically I love EX600's bass, mids of EPH-100 and treble of TF10. I'm trying to track something down as an all in one package. Imaging would also be a huge plus. I prefer the signatures of EPH and TF10 over the slightly dryer GRO7 and EX600.
I'd be using Cowon players as a source unamped.
The IEM's I have tried are:
Yamaha EPH-100,
GRO7 MK2,
TF10,
EX600.
Klipsch X10
Cheers!

I am really not sure I've heard what you're looking for. Which one did you feel was closest to what you want overall? Sounds like you want a K3003 crossed over higher than it is and for <$400..

Quote:
Looks like you really like your she3580 joker, do you think I should buy one even though I havent been using the hf5 I've bought recently quite often as I should have?
tongue.gif

That really depends on whether you're not using the HF5 because you don't like the signature (then yes, by all means get the Philips) or because you don't have occasion to use IEMs in general (in which case the Philips isn't likely to change your mind).

Quote:
I seriously can't decide between the Soundmagic E10 and the Vsonic GR99. There both great value. I'm looking for the best bass performance. Can you help me out?. Thanks

The GR99 has deeper, punchier bass than the E10. It's not as bassy as the GR02 bass edition but it's close and the rest of the sound is good as well.

Quote:
I would like joker's and anyone's advice on budget custom IEMs. Sub $500, and I think I've got it narrowed down to 3 choices.

1) Alclair Reference (3-driver) is now $400. http://www.alclair.com/products/monitors/alclair-reference-custom-in-ear-monitor/

2) Clear Tune's CT-300 Pro (3-driver model, Joker reviewed the 2-driver, $350 CT-200). $450. http://cleartunemonitors.com/CT-300pro/

3) JHA's 2-driver JH5 Pro, $400.

I'll start with what I don't want: a dry, analytic sound. To me, that sounds lifeless and unengaging.

Balance across the frequency spectrum is key, as is a spatial presentation, but with a weight to the sound that makes it a fun, non-fatiguing experience.

I currently own GR07s. They're good, but not as engaging as I would like, along with being uncomfortable physically and a bit fatiguing sonically.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. There's been very little written about Alclair and Clear Tune, outside of joker and average_joe. A big thanks to both of those guys for their tireless generosity.

I've only heard the Reference out of those (and the GR07, obviously). If you find the GR07 too analytical and fatiguing I would not recommend the Reference. It's really a BA version of the GR07 sound with better clarity, dynamics, and presentation. Even the CTM-200 has a more liquid sound to it, but it's not very engaging. I don't know how the CTM-300 is tuned but if it adds a bass driver that might be interesting. 

I feel like you would enjoy a JVC FX700..

Quote:
I thought there were a lot of people offering some help here, and I was wondering if people could recommend the best in-ear headphones suited for my requriements. Thanks!

Your requirements really don't tell me what kind of sound signature you are looking for. To be safe I would try something with enhanced bass, say a Yamaha EPH-100. If you're just starting out it should be a solid all-rounder. You could even go cheaper with something like a VSonic GR06 or Shure SE215. Since it's going to be your first earphone it might be safer to spend less while honing in on your preferred sound signature.

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #8,180 of 16,931
Quote:

Your requirements really don't tell me what kind of sound signature you are looking for. To be safe I would try something with enhanced bass, say a Yamaha EPH-100. If you're just starting out it should be a solid all-rounder. You could even go cheaper with something like a VSonic GR06 or Shure SE215. Since it's going to be your first earphone it might be safer to spend less while honing in on your preferred sound signature.

I like a bright, euphonic, juicy and lush, punchy, sturdy, sweet, and transparent sound. I like to listen to accurate, clear, detailed to low sounds, balanced, focused (I find this a problem on a lot of in-ears), gripped, and brilliant music.

I'm thinking the Phonak PFE122 is a good option?

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #8,181 of 16,931
hello!
Joker...could you please recommend me
of some nice earphones in the range of 60$ or less
that have dominant bass and are designed
for shallow fit?
i love my id america spark's sound, but
they the depth of insertion is not very comfortable to me
thank you!

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #8,182 of 16,931
I like a bright, euphonic, juicy and lush, punchy, sturdy, sweet, and transparent sound. I like to listen to accurate, clear, detailed to low sounds, balanced, focused (I find this a problem on a lot of in-ears), gripped, and brilliant music.

er wut? lol

So do you like more bass, more mids, more treble or what?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 18, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #8,183 of 16,931
I am really not sure I've heard what you're looking for. Which one did you feel was closest to what you want overall? Sounds like you want a K3003 crossed over higher than it is and for <$400..

I'd say EX600 was probably the closest I've found though wanting better separation, obvious micro detailing, more treble extension with a wetter mid range.

I'm not really interested in EX1000 as an option if that helps.

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #8,185 of 16,931
Quote:
That really depends on whether you're not using the HF5 because you don't like the signature (then yes, by all means get the Philips) or because you don't have occasion to use IEMs in general (in which case the Philips isn't likely to change your mind).

Yes, its the second reason, I do like the signature very much, it has just one tiny bump in the mid bass but I am still enjoying them.
I am just thinking that since they sound pretty good(tried someone else's she3580), and most importantly they are so cheap, that I can hardly resist to throw another $10 into earphones, but I am worried that I will be using them even less than the hf5 that are already not being used quite often.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #8,186 of 16,931
Well if you are not using them often because you are afraid of breaking them it might make sense to get the 3580 as a beater pair.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 18, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #8,187 of 16,931
Quote:
Well if you are not using them often because you are afraid of breaking them it might make sense to get the 3580 as a beater pair.

I am definitely not worrying that they are going to break as they are under warranty, it is that I can hardly find a suitable situation to use them, sure I can use them when I am on a transportation, but I would prefer to be sleeping rather than listening to music most of the times. When I am at home, I would go for a more comfortable, flatter fr, and less isolating option, my eq'ed sennheiser hd555.

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #8,188 of 16,931
Quote:
I've only heard the Reference out of those (and the GR07, obviously). If you find the GR07 too analytical and fatiguing I would not recommend the Reference. It's really a BA version of the GR07 sound with better clarity, dynamics, and presentation. Even the CTM-200 has a more liquid sound to it, but it's not very engaging. I don't know how the CTM-300 is tuned but if it adds a bass driver that might be interesting. 

I feel like you would enjoy a JVC FX700..

Joker, I appreciate the reply and the suggestion of the FX700.

I've wanted to give the FX700 a try for a while, but I'd really like to move away from universals and into customs, and I love my IEMs for particularly loud environments like airplane travel and city public transportation. 

If someone wanted to move into customs, and was looking for something like an FX700 sound, what would you suggest?

In the meantime, I'm going to listen very closely to my GR07s to determine if I wouldn't actually like them in a custom, especially with better dynamics and presentation.

Thanks again.

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #8,189 of 16,931
Quote:
I've got a question about the GR99. Can they be used simply with a Ipod or Iphone because I'm mostly gonna use them outside. By the way, what is the next IEM you'll be looking to put up on this thread?

No problem with my Ipod Touch. I use these as my training bud's and cannot be bothered to bring  an amp while training. They even work well with my Galaxy S2.

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #8,190 of 16,931
Quote:
Great reviews! Thanks!!

Glad they've been helpful 
beerchug.gif

Quote:

I'm thinking the Phonak PFE122 is a good option?

I know what some of those words mean... 

The 122 has good clarity and detail and can be considered bright with the gray filters. Anything beyond that will depend on who you ask. Still, it's a great entry into higher-end portable audio, if more expensive now than a few years ago. I think the MEElec A161P and Ety HF5 have taken its place as the single BAs to go for under $150. 

Quote:
hello!
Joker...could you please recommend me
of some nice earphones in the range of 60$ or less
that have dominant bass and are designed
for shallow fit?
i love my id america spark's sound, but
they the depth of insertion is not very comfortable to me
thank you!

Bass-heavy sound and shallow fit don't go hand-in-hand very often. There are very few half in-ear designs that are properly bass-heavy. The Yamaha EPH-50 is one but it's not that great overall in my opinion. 

There are also some straight-barrel earphones that still sound good with a shallow seal, for example the Xears N3i (not sure if it's still in production). 

All that said, you may just want to grab a JVC FX101 and call it a day. I find them a little harsh and unrefined but there's no denying that the bass is huge and the price is right. 

Quote:
I'd say EX600 was probably the closest I've found though wanting better separation, obvious micro detailing, more treble extension with a wetter mid range.
I'm not really interested in EX1000 as an option if that helps.

Yeah I haven't heard anything like that to the best of my recollection, at least not under $400.

Quote:
I've got a question about the GR99. Can they be used simply with a Ipod or Iphone because I'm mostly gonna use them outside. By the way, what is the next IEM you'll be looking to put up on this thread?

Yep, the GR99 is quite efficient.

There's a list of planned reviews at the bottom of the front page. The very next set will likely either be something entry-level from a big brand or something from Rock-It Sounds.

Quote:
Yes, its the second reason, I do like the signature very much, it has just one tiny bump in the mid bass but I am still enjoying them.
I am just thinking that since they sound pretty good(tried someone else's she3580), and most importantly they are so cheap, that I can hardly resist to throw another $10 into earphones, but I am worried that I will be using them even less than the hf5 that are already not being used quite often.
rolleyes.gif

If listening to IEMs doesn't fit in your schedule there's probably no reason to pick up more, even for $10. But yes, it's a great deal at $10. 

Quote:

Joker, I appreciate the reply and the suggestion of the FX700.

I've wanted to give the FX700 a try for a while, but I'd really like to move away from universals and into customs, and I love my IEMs for particularly loud environments like airplane travel and city public transportation. 

If someone wanted to move into customs, and was looking for something like an FX700 sound, what would you suggest?

In the meantime, I'm going to listen very closely to my GR07s to determine if I wouldn't actually like them in a custom, especially with better dynamics and presentation.

Thanks again.

Actually the FX700 played at low volumes reminded me of my Miracle. The v-shape gets more pronounced/obvious when you raise the volume, though. The Miracle has great extension on both ends of the spectrum and a similarly dynamic and refined sound while at the same time remaining smoother up top and more accurate down low. Among the lower-end customs the Alclair is probably closest but again based on your wanting a less analytical note presentation and smoother treble than the GR07, I can't 100% recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back