Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Aug 23, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #7,982 of 16,931
Quote:
I haven't tested it myself, but I suspect that what you're hearing at those frequencies are the distortions of the driver.
I.e. you're probably hearing harmonics, rather than the fundamental itself.
I'm sure you can feel it. I can too. But in my opinion that is definitely not the most important factor for good sound quality.

I doubt it; if I push them too hard there's a point beyond which I can hear distortion.  But below that it's just pure earthshaking bass.  Below this distortion threshold I can't hear it down at 10Hz but I can detect it as modulation of my breathing (ie when I breath in and out, instead of an even breathing sound I can hear and feel the breathing as a 10Hz stutter
basshead.gif
)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 23, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #7,983 of 16,931
The more important part is that the lower cutoff correlates often with a sharper and lower rolloff.
This does affect soundstaging and general brightness feeling (but the latter less than 3-8k range).

Frequencies in range of about 100 Hz - 15 kHz cause noticeable soundstaging/positioning changes to my ears; highers just cause more feel of an open space as opposed to enclosed.
For the record, I hear up to 19.5 kHz.

Quite a few high fidelity dynamic drivers can reproduce some infrasonics, e.g. in 15-20 Hz range, esp. the larger ones. (relative to distance)
The frequencies below 18 Hz feel to me like pumping or such - felt down to 16 Hz. (DT1350)

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #7,984 of 16,931
Quote:
Joker how do you get to trial so many different headphones?

Do you have industry contacts or do you just buy / sell a lot of different headphones?

Sorry for being nosy I am just interested how you get so many headphones lol.

I started out doing a lot of buying and selling but over time people have just started sending me things. Most of my high end IEMs come from other Head-Fi members. I still buy a few here and there but not too often these days. I used to request manufacturer samples but don't have time to deal with that anymore. Occasionally manufacturers or distributors will contact me and if I have time I'll get a review sample that way.

Quote:
Since I don't think starting a new thread would bring anything useful:
Which IEM do you consider the most extended (bandwidth) of all of the universals?
Would any of these be suitable for deep fit and have slim build an/or narrow nozzle, preferably working well with foam?

Dynamic drivers or moving armatures are preferred.

Current list is perhaps:
VSonic GR01, Etymotic MC5, Fischer Audio DBA-02 mkII, Etymotic HF5.
Also probably j-phonic K2 SP, once the site is up.
While Westone IEMs isolate well, they are too dark for my taste.

I think dynamics can often do better in this regard than BA-based sets - the IE8 I heard had very good extension, for example. Most IEMs don't extend past 18k in my experience but I only consider it a problem if they drop off heavily before 16 (or 15 for entry-level stuff). I don't think presence above 16k will make or break an IEM for most people but I agree that rolled-off treble tends to reduce 'air'. As a side note, I think the VSonic GR07 and Sony EX1000 are both interesting in lacking that very top bit of extension despite good overall treble energy. For the record, I currently trust my hearing to around 17.5.

Unfortunately you're probably looking for non-lean in the wrong place with Etys and TWFK-based sets (I'm assuming your SE 5-way has good note weight similar to my SE 3-way here). Most TWFK-based sets will easily reach the limit of my hearing (the ATH-CK10, for example, is quite strong at 17k) but they won't have the note thickness of an SM3 or SE 3-way. 

Sorry for the brevity, I'm on a mobile device.

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #7,986 of 16,931
In my experience (as a ten-year member of team EQ :D ) anything will respond to EQ as long as you don't introduce digital clipping and you aren't trying to push the phones past thier bass / treble extension limits. Soundstage can also be affected by eq, especially parametric eq shaped according to your HRTF. That's very hit and miss without measurements of course but the fact remains that the same phones can have good soundstage for one person but bad for another.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Aug 24, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #7,987 of 16,931
Quote:
The GR02 has a somewhat 'hot' top end and can accentuate treble sibilance. Some people are sensitive to this and will much prefer something with a flatter or more laid-back treble presentation.

Okay, that might be a problem. I'm not against bright-sounding headphones (heck, I sold off my PX 100-IIs within a month cause I found them too boring), but I do have issues with treble. At times it can be too shrill for me. Hmmm.
Is there any other option in the same category? What about the new JVCs, the FX40? Head-fi's gone crazy about them lately. Have you had a chance to try them out yet?

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #7,989 of 16,931
Quote:
Unfortunately you're probably looking for non-lean in the wrong place with Etys and TWFK-based sets (I'm assuming your SE 5-way has good note weight similar to my SE 3-way here). Most TWFK-based sets will easily reach the limit of my hearing (the ATH-CK10, for example, is quite strong at 17k) but they won't have the note thickness of an SM3 or SE 3-way. 

The main goal is to have deep, isolating fit in an universal with foam tips and as few sonic compromises as possible. I'm not specifically looking for note thickness (heck, I had RE-272 and was pretty happy with it for a time), but would like as little roll off as possible.

I cannot properly deep fit GR07 with foams, there aren't any long enough and small enough tips. I think small nozzle size will work better.

Quote:
Say, joker, is the GR07 responsive with EQ? I'm thinking to get it just for the soundstage and just play with EQ for what I need. 

I can say from experience that GR07 can be equalized in a very wide range without overload and distortion. You'll never get rid of a hint of sibilance though, as that seems to be caused by some resonance and not just hot 6k frequency response.

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #7,990 of 16,931
I just want to say that I have immensely studied this thread with a couple headphones I was interested in, awesome work. Would you consider checking out a set of the JVC HA-FX1X? There is already a large discussion thread on them here.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/577508/jvc-ha-fx1x-xtreme-xplosive-impressions-hopefully-fan-thread

Aug 25, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #7,991 of 16,931
joker's policy seems to prioritize less-publicized phones over phones that already have a large discussion / fan thread.

Aug 25, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #7,992 of 16,931
I just recieved my GR04 Pro/Flagship and all I can say is WOW.. except one thing.. like the GR02, harsh 6k-10k band and "ssss", I hope they settle in after first hundred hours or whatever, it's not an issue with all songs but when it is, it's a little disturbing, anyway I think I'll try foam tips which should absorb some of the "s" quantity, right? ..and play a little with the eq on my sansa.. Overall, incredible sound for 50$.

Aug 25, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #7,993 of 16,931
Quote:
I just recieved my GR04 Pro/Flagship and all I can say is WOW.. except one thing.. like the GR02, harsh 6k-10k band and "ssss", I hope they settle in after first hundred hours or whatever, it's not an issue with all songs but when it is, it's a little disturbing, anyway I think I'll try foam tips which should absorb some of the "s" quantity, right? ..and play a little with the eq on my sansa.. Overall, incredible sound for 50$.

Gotta say it...toldja so! I have to ask, are you having any driver flex? I'm having a little bit in the left ear.

Aug 26, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #7,994 of 16,931
Quote:
Gotta say it...toldja so! I have to ask, are you having any driver flex? I'm having a little bit in the left ear.

driver flex is a thing which involves the earphone and a ear too , in my case , i have driver flex in my right most of the time , rarely in the left , i dont remember when i had it in my left . but had it in my right yesterday with ue 400/500 . best solution , foam tips .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back