Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 27, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #7,396 of 16,931
I am finding RE-262 delivering sub-bass when it's been mixed into certain songs. Which mystifies me and is hard to make a basic statement about it. Like in basic rock songs, the bass is there but not stunning. Though put on songs such as Buddah Bar II or III, with it's Afro-centric flavor with huge, deep drums and whatnot and man, the Re-262 delivers the goods. When amped, even more so.

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #7,397 of 16,931
I've read most of the reviews until about 250$. I'm quite unsure what I'd replace my current Image S4i's with. I find they sound quite good, but the cable's getting slowly destroyed so I'm looking for replacements. I mostly listen to heavy metal and hard rock style music. I'd also like to point out I'm far from an audiophile, I know nothing about how good headphones are supposed to sound until I actually listen to them personally. Remote control for apple devices would be nice, but I can live without it as there's adapters you can buy for quite cheap prices. So I'm looking for good sounding and as little as possible microphonics, I HATE the sounds IEM's make when I walk. I also don't wear them over the ear but that can change I guess. I'm looking with high interest at VSonic GR07, from what I understand there's a MK2 version coming soon? How do those sound when used on mobile devices?

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #7,398 of 16,931
why dont you try the ultimate ears 500 vi/400vi . you will not like the immediate change of styles , over ear takes getting used to , get  cable guides before you switch to only over ear style iems . xb41ex are good too , a bit heavy but really nice bass good clarity . ther are many you can see , vsonic gr2 bass edition , gr06 , cc51 . any of the above will serve you good . i will say go for gr 2 for cheap price , other wise go for ue 500 .

Jun 27, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #7,399 of 16,931
Quote:
I've read most of the reviews until about 250$. I'm quite unsure what I'd replace my current Image S4i's with. I find they sound quite good, but the cable's getting slowly destroyed so I'm looking for replacements. I mostly listen to heavy metal and hard rock style music. I'd also like to point out I'm far from an audiophile, I know nothing about how good headphones are supposed to sound until I actually listen to them personally. Remote control for apple devices would be nice, but I can live without it as there's adapters you can buy for quite cheap prices. So I'm looking for good sounding and as little as possible microphonics, I HATE the sounds IEM's make when I walk. I also don't wear them over the ear but that can change I guess. I'm looking with high interest at VSonic GR07, from what I understand there's a MK2 version coming soon? How do those sound when used on mobile devices?

My first IEM's were Klipsch i4s, and I thought they sounded good.  Making the transition from the i4s to GR07, is a kin the having a veil lifted from your ears.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #7,400 of 16,931
Quote:

My heart always flutter when you say "next update" 
tongue.gif

I always enjoy reading your thorough review

Hopefully sooner rather than later. There's a bunch of reviews I started and never got around to posting.

Quote:
Yes, I suppose that's true that the difference between the MD Tributes and some of the others (SM2/3, UM3X) isn't that great. Are the SM2 and SM3 quite similar? Also I noticed that the XBA-4 are available somewhere for just over 200, which makes them another interesting choice, but not sure how complementary it would be to the TF10s in terms of mids and sub-bass?

The SM3 is better than the SM2 but not by much. Its signature is more special/unique but they share many of the same traits. I don't think the XBA-4 is something I would get to compliment a TF10 and it almost certainly hasn't got the mids you are looking for. Under $200 is where it should be IMO.

Quote:
And I should mention that a pair of Refurbished MD Tributes can be had for just over 100 bucks, which makes them interesting as well. 

Good price assuming they are warranted. 

Quote:

With the remote your choices would be pretty limited - pretty much to the Monster in-ears, the Klipsch X10i, and maybe the Shure SE215 + mic cable. Unless you wanted to do a complete sound signature switch and try an Etymotic HF3. 

Without the remote the GR07, EPH-100, FXT90, and Sony EX600 are all solid choices for rock and a big step up from S4. They are all pretty consistent across sources, you won't have any issues with an iPhone or whatever. Of these the FXT90 has the lowest cable noise when worn cord-down. 

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #7,401 of 16,931
Quote:
The SM3 is better than the SM2 but not by much. Its signature is more special/unique but they share many of the same traits. I don't think the XBA-4 is something I would get to compliment a TF10 and it almost certainly hasn't got the mids you are looking for. Under $200 is where it should be IMO.

MD Tribute - Good price assuming they are warranted. 

What about the W4 compared to the UM3X and SM3 as compements to the recabled TF10? They seem very appealing if they could be found for a good price. 

And agreed about the MD Tributes, a big part of their value comes from their lifetime warranty. Otherwise I would be more tempted by the yamahas or even trying out the GR07.

Jun 28, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #7,402 of 16,931
Quote:

The GR07 MK2 is already available, at least from one eBay seller from China. Look in the dedicated GR07 thread for more details on those... 
wink.gif

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #7,403 of 16,931
Quote:
With the remote your choices would be pretty limited - pretty much to the Monster in-ears, the Klipsch X10i, and maybe the Shure SE215 + mic cable. Unless you wanted to do a complete sound signature switch and try an Etymotic HF3. 

Without the remote the GR07, EPH-100, FXT90, and Sony EX600 are all solid choices for rock and a big step up from S4. They are all pretty consistent across sources, you won't have any issues with an iPhone or whatever. Of these the FXT90 has the lowest cable noise when worn cord-down. 

Thanks, now I'm even more confused. To be honest I just want better sounding IEM's, I've never changed any EQ settings or that sort of thing. I'm imagining X10i to be a better S4 which is fine by me, I'm also imagining GR07 to be better than X10 but in a different way. So I may just get X10i as they seem consumer oriented and I can actually buy them from Norway, so no import taxes like GR07. The other 3 you mentioned seem to be poor at isolating which I don't like. X10i just seem straight forward, plug in and get better sound. 

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #7,404 of 16,931
Quote:
What about the W4 compared to the UM3X and SM3 as compements to the recabled TF10? They seem very appealing if they could be found for a good price. 

And agreed about the MD Tributes, a big part of their value comes from their lifetime warranty. Otherwise I would be more tempted by the yamahas or even trying out the GR07.

The W4 is a bit less different from the TF10 than the UM3X/SM3 but still a much more mid-centric sound signature with better coherency and a more natural tone (though admittedly I haven't heard your aftermarket TF10 cable). You probably won't find any Monster deals on Westone products 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Thanks, now I'm even more confused. To be honest I just want better sounding IEM's, I've never changed any EQ settings or that sort of thing. I'm imagining X10i to be a better S4 which is fine by me, I'm also imagining GR07 to be better than X10 but in a different way. So I may just get X10i as they seem consumer oriented and I can actually buy them from Norway, so no import taxes like GR07. The other 3 you mentioned seem to be poor at isolating which I don't like. X10i just seem straight forward, plug in and get better sound. 

While the X10i is definitely more consumer-friendly than the GR07, they are both different from the S4. Not sure what the X10 will run you in Norway but I think they deserve recommending only at the sub-$250 prices we have here in the US. Otherwise a GR07 or FXT90 or EPH-100 wins out pretty easily. 

Also confused by your statement on isolation - the EX600 is the only one I mentioned that isolates worse than the S4, and the SE215 and EPH-100 should isolate about as well as the X10 does.

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #7,405 of 16,931
Quote:
 While the X10i is definitely more consumer-friendly than the GR07, they are both different from the S4. Not sure what the X10 will run you in Norway but I think they deserve recommending only at the sub-$250 prices we have here in the US. Otherwise a GR07 or FXT90 or EPH-100 wins out pretty easily.   
Also confused by your statement on isolation - the EX600 is the only one I mentioned that isolates worse than the S4, and the SE215 and EPH-100 should isolate about as well as the X10 does.

of those 4, only the X10i's and eph-100 are available here. X10i's are 1800kr(~300USD) and eph 1200kr(~200USD). I prefer not to buy from other countries as anything with a value over 300kr will be stopped at customs and I've got to pay about 25-40% tax. I'd pay the extra money for the convenience of volume buttons, but that depends if there's a big difference in sound quality/comfort or isolation. From what I understand, eph are only over the ear. I could change to that style but I'd prefer not to. I like IEM's so much because of how easy they are to carry around.

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #7,406 of 16,931
Hi guys, i just recieved my Brainwavz M4 bought at 28$ from mp4 nation, is there any chance I got a fake? I own the M1 bought from the same place, good earphones but the M4 I just got are nothing compared to the M1, trebble extension is almost absent, all I can hear is bass, proeminent mids (when I turn the volume up they ''shout'' at me, I can't even listen to them) and some highs that cut off at a very early, i can bearly here a difference when I boost the 12k on my sansa clip+, they're nothing like I read about them! What could be the problem?

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #7,408 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi guys, i just recieved my Brainwavz M4 bought at 28$ from mp4 nation, is there any chance I got a fake? I own the M1 bought from the same place, good earphones but the M4 I just got are nothing compared to the M1, trebble extension is almost absent, all I can hear is bass, proeminent mids (when I turn the volume up they ''shout'' you cant even listen to them) and some highs that cut off at a very early, i can bearly here a difference when I boost the 12k on my sansa clip+, they're nothing like I read about them! What could be the problem?

AFAIK, MP4Nation is a very legit business, and a lot of Head-Fi'ers has bought products from them.

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #7,409 of 16,931
AFAIK, MP4Nation is a very legit business, and a lot of Head-Fi'ers has bought products from them.

Ok, do they really sound that bad? The reviews say otherwise, I was expecting an upgrade over the M1, I am totally disappointed.. Is this the reason I paid only 28$ for them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back