Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 25, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #7,051 of 16,931
This is one giant list! Extremely helpful since I'm looking at several IEMs that I may consider getting.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
May 26, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #7,052 of 16,931
Quote:
This is one giant list! Extremely helpful since I'm looking at several IEMs that I may consider getting.

Thanks 
beerchug.gif

May 26, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #7,053 of 16,931
@joker

Can you briefly summarize the sound signature of FI-BA-SB. Is it similar to e-Q5 or better than that or altogether different.

Thanks.

May 26, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #7,054 of 16,931
Thanks a ton for getting more of these entry level customs. I don't how your affording this but the reviews are stellar. I get more interested with every review, wondering when and what my first custom will be. 

May 26, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #7,055 of 16,931
Hello |joker|

I was referred to you because you have an amazing history of experience with IEMs.

My first IEM ever was the Miles Davis Tributes. I bought them on sale for $150 and have really enjoyed them. I listen to primarily jazz, rnb, hip hop, acoustic/folk rock, classical, house/electric and I have found the sound signature of the MDTs to be incredibly good for these things. However, having not experienced any other IEMs, this also is an uninformed opinion.

However, my problem lies here. While the MDTs sound amazing to me, their build quality cannot keep up. My strain reliefs broke and the microphonics are no good for when I am on the go. Plus, I could do without the flashiness and weight.

I am looking for an IEM with similar intimacy and lushness as the MDTs, but I am finding it hard to find something because I am so inxeperienced. Someone referred me to the Hifiman RE262s.

I'm asking you if you could possibly let me know what you think of the RE262s in comparison to the MDTs (are they any better, or at least similar? I don't want to downgrade my sound quality here), or if there are any other IEMs (price insensitive, except let's not get too crazy) that sound like the MDTs but have better build quality?

May 26, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #7,056 of 16,931
Quote:
@joker

Can you briefly summarize the sound signature of FI-BA-SB. Is it similar to e-Q5 or better than that or altogether different.

Thanks.

It's not too similar to the Ortofons, I find the SB to be pretty heavily colored. It's very forward, very clear, and a little raw a-la BA-SS. I don't have an e-Q5 anymore but I compared it to a decent TWFK-based set (the VSonic GR01) and found it to have significantly more bass (but not as much control), far more forward mids, and less treble. I think the GR01 is flatter and more accurate overall - the SB's coloration adds a certain zest/liveliness but it's not what I would call neutral. It also doesn't have a very large presentation due to being so forward.

Quote:
Thanks a ton for getting more of these entry level customs. I don't how your affording this but the reviews are stellar. I get more interested with every review, wondering when and what my first custom will be. 

Thanks! It's but a small taste of what's out there - the custom market is moving incredibly fast and - as with universals - it can be very difficult to generalize sound signatures even between models from a single manufacturer. Not to mention that there aren't too many reviews out there for a lot of models.

Quote:
Hello |joker|
I was referred to you because you have an amazing history of experience with IEMs.
My first IEM ever was the Miles Davis Tributes. I bought them on sale for $150 and have really enjoyed them. I listen to primarily jazz, rnb, hip hop, acoustic/folk rock, classical, house/electric and I have found the sound signature of the MDTs to be incredibly good for these things. However, having not experienced any other IEMs, this also is an uninformed opinion.
However, my problem lies here. While the MDTs sound amazing to me, their build quality cannot keep up. My strain reliefs broke and the microphonics are no good for when I am on the go. Plus, I could do without the flashiness and weight.
I am looking for an IEM with similar intimacy and lushness as the MDTs, but I am finding it hard to find something because I am so inxeperienced. Someone referred me to the Hifiman RE262s.
I'm asking you if you could possibly let me know what you think of the RE262s in comparison to the MDTs (are they any better, or at least similar? I don't want to downgrade my sound quality here), or if there are any other IEMs (price insensitive, except let's not get too crazy) that sound like the MDTs but have better build quality?

If you are used to the heavy bass of the MDT the RE262 probably won't do it for you. It's also more laid-back (not as intimate) and not quite as warm and thick but otherwise very good all around. These days it's not difficult to match the SQ level of the MDT without spending a bundle-  <$150 sets such as the JVC FXT90 and Yamaha EPH-100 will do it while pursuing a sound more similar to the Monsters than the RE262 IMO. The EPH-100 would probably do it for you but you'll have to wear them over-the-ear. It's forward, has good bass (not as much as MDT, but still plenty), and sounds fluid and lush. You'd have to ask in the EPH-100 thread for opinions on longevity but the set I had in for review held up rather well.

May 27, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #7,057 of 16,931
Funny that you should mention the Yamaha EPH-100. I actually researched into those before, but all I came up with was that it was not as musical/intimate as the MDTs. Is that exaggeration? I wish I could listen to them side by side, I just don't know how to interpret most of this stuff. I recall reading something like the "Yamahas are more technically superior, designed by sound engineers while the MDTs sound like they were designed by a musician." The EPH is reported as not as intimate/musical as the MDTs, not sure if that's true but that's just what I've read.

That only scares me because my Sony MDR Z1000 headphones (the only comparison I can give) are very neutral, sound-engineer-y, and I definitely prefer my MDTs over my Z1000s sound. The intimacy and overall sound composition on the MDTs are amazing to me.

I actually never noticed that the MDT was bass heavy (with no comparison I am quite complacent haha), but now that I listen, wow, it really is pretty punchy, powerful bass, isn't it? I like it.

I've looked into the FXT90 before as well (wow, I actually did a little research before asking millions of questions!! This is a first for me). Some reviews show that the FXT90 has a weakness in bass, and I'm guessing I like bass/sub-bass considering my love for my MDTs. YET, some other ones describe the FXT90 as musical, powerful, and full bass/mids. I just don't get head-fi reviews sometimes!

The FXT90 is really tempting, I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting. I wish you could more easily compare IEMs in real life...

Sorry to be a huge party pooper, sometimes reading so many reviews and opinions on head-fi just mess with my mind. Are the above things I think about those two true? Are there any other IEMs, even if they are more than $150, that are close/closer to the MDT sound sig?

PS: Why do you have to wear EPH-100 over ear?

May 27, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #7,058 of 16,931
Quote:
Some reviews show that the FXT90 has a weakness in bass, and I'm guessing I like bass/sub-bass considering my love for my MDTs. YET, some other ones describe the FXT90 as musical, powerful, and full bass/mids. I just don't get head-fi reviews sometimes!

IMO FXT90 has more sub-bass than the EPH-100
FXT90 is also more intimate/aggressive than the EPH-100....

May 27, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #7,060 of 16,931
Quote:

The sound of the MDTs is still very unique.  That's why I have two of them still.  Others have similar frequency responses and try or do other things better but the intimate, smoky jazz club seduction is simply missing.  People will start searching to improve on various technical fronts but none capture the special euphonic coloration.

If nothing turns up, get a warranty replacement if they still have MDTs, some silicone earguides and wear them over the ear.  That will reduce the weight and strain on the earguides.  I've had my original for two years now and no split shell of damaged strain reliefs.  There's a lot of useful information in the MDT thread about how best to use and hear the MDTs but sadly it was never collated and updated on the first page.  Instead you get ramblings of new users repeating the same mistakes and questions over and over again while useful information gets buried.  

May 27, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #7,061 of 16,931
Quote:

The sound of the MDTs is still very unique.  That's why I have two of them still.  Others have similar frequency responses and try or do other things better but the intimate, smoky jazz club seduction is simply missing.  People will start searching to improve on various technical fronts but none capture the special euphonic coloration.

If nothing turns up, get a warranty replacement if they still have MDTs, some silicone earguides and wear them over the ear.  That will reduce the weight and strain on the earguides.  I've had my original for two years now and no split shell of damaged strain reliefs.  There's a lot of useful information in the MDT thread about how best to use and hear the MDTs but sadly it was never collated and updated on the first page.  Instead you get ramblings of new users repeating the same mistakes and questions over and over again while useful information gets buried.  

lol, this is true, I read the whole thread last week. One must be strong willed to do so. 
tongue_smile.gif

May 27, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #7,062 of 16,931

This was a fear of mine, that the MDTs were a unique little set.

I don't think I'll ever really be able to settle with them. They're too flashy, the microphonics are just toooo annoying, and although it sounds awful, the amount of effort it takes to keep them safe in the elaborate protectors is not optimal for my lifestyle as I am on the go often and listen to music impulsively, don't have time to fiddle with all that stuff.

Plus, I hear Monster is replacing tributes with trumpets... although I hate the fact that my strain reliefs are broken (man it just feels bad), I dare not risk getting trumpets through warranty.

May 27, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #7,063 of 16,931
May 27, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #7,064 of 16,931
Quote:
It's not too similar to the Ortofons, I find the SB to be pretty heavily colored. It's very forward, very clear, and a little raw a-la BA-SS. I don't have an e-Q5 anymore but I compared it to a decent TWFK-based set (the VSonic GR01) and found it to have significantly more bass (but not as much control), far more forward mids, and less treble. I think the GR01 is flatter and more accurate overall - the SB's coloration adds a certain zest/liveliness but it's not what I would call neutral. It also doesn't have a very large presentation due to being so forward.

Thanks. I assume the treble is not as much less making it darker like SM3 V2 ?

May 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #7,065 of 16,931
Quote:
Funny that you should mention the Yamaha EPH-100. I actually researched into those before, but all I came up with was that it was not as musical/intimate as the MDTs. Is that exaggeration? I wish I could listen to them side by side, I just don't know how to interpret most of this stuff. I recall reading something like the "Yamahas are more technically superior, designed by sound engineers while the MDTs sound like they were designed by a musician." The EPH is reported as not as intimate/musical as the MDTs, not sure if that's true but that's just what I've read.
That only scares me because my Sony MDR Z1000 headphones (the only comparison I can give) are very neutral, sound-engineer-y, and I definitely prefer my MDTs over my Z1000s sound. The intimacy and overall sound composition on the MDTs are amazing to me.
I actually never noticed that the MDT was bass heavy (with no comparison I am quite complacent haha), but now that I listen, wow, it really is pretty punchy, powerful bass, isn't it? I like it.
I've looked into the FXT90 before as well (wow, I actually did a little research before asking millions of questions!! This is a first for me). Some reviews show that the FXT90 has a weakness in bass, and I'm guessing I like bass/sub-bass considering my love for my MDTs. YET, some other ones describe the FXT90 as musical, powerful, and full bass/mids. I just don't get head-fi reviews sometimes!
The FXT90 is really tempting, I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting. I wish you could more easily compare IEMs in real life...
Sorry to be a huge party pooper, sometimes reading so many reviews and opinions on head-fi just mess with my mind. Are the above things I think about those two true? Are there any other IEMs, even if they are more than $150, that are close/closer to the MDT sound sig?

The EPH-100 and FXT90 fall closer to the MDT on the overall signature scale than the RE262 does, which is why I recommended them, but no - neither is a sonic match. I really don't think either the JVC or Yamaha sounds neutral or sterile or anything but I guess it depends on how far from the MDT signature you're willing to stray. Might be a difficult to determination to make without actually picking up something else.

When consulting reviews you have to ascertain what the point of comparison is - for example the EPH-100 will sound very full, powerful, musical, etc. compared to an Ety ER4 (extreme example) but at the same time leaner and more neutral compared to an MDT. I really don't know of any great matches for the MDT signature - these are just the ones I would think may work better for you than an RE262 if you're willing to compromise on some things.

Quote:
PS: Why do you have to wear EPH-100 over ear?

Because the cable noise isn't that much better compared to the Tributes unless you wear them over-the-ear.

Quote:
joker what do you think is better between heaven IV vs atrios m5 in term of bass and details?

I don't know what the Heaven IV is... FAD is difficult to keep up with.

Quote:
Thanks. I assume the treble is not as much less making it darker like SM3 V2 ?

Not that dark, just a little less prominent in comparison to the bass/midrange and compared to a TWFK-based set. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back