Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 28, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #6,751 of 16,931
Yay your gonna review the Thermaltake Isurus!!They sound so wonderful with the Sony Hybrids on, but its a such a chore to put it on. Can't wait to hear your review on it!
L3000.gif

Apr 28, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #6,752 of 16,931

Quote:
Well, not on their website. Thanks!

Edit: Would you consider the Brainwavz ProAlpha to be more of a balanced IEM or warm? I can't really afford the ECCI's atm.

The ProAlpha is on the warm side of neutral (more so than the ECCI, for example) but it's not overly warm. 

Quote:
Hi joker, 

I'm planning to buy a GR06 and want to know in what genres they are good, and if they sound good with Blues, Progressive Rock, etc. (Mostly Pink Floyd and Clapton)
Any suggestion for this genres ? Thanks

If you like your rock with forward mids and medium bass levels, sure. The GR06 is a versatile earphone and very hard to beat as an overall package.

Quote:
Yay your gonna review the Thermaltake Isurus!!They sound so wonderful with the Sony Hybrids on, but its a such a chore to put it on. Can't wait to hear your review on it!
L3000.gif

Yes, thanks to Gilly87 for sending me the Isurus along with the EPH-100. Probably going to be a while before I get to it, though.

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #6,756 of 16,931

Quote:
Edit: 08/06/09: Sound Notes.

Well, not everything is perfect soundmagic-land. After three days of critical listening (20+ hours during which the sound has not changed at all) I can no longer attribute what I'm hearing to simply being spoiled by my RE0s and Etymotics. There is something ever-so-slightly off about the way these sound. Don't get me wrong - the notes are all there, but the overall sound is just a bit distant and veiled compared to some of the other earphones in the price range. I'm not sure this is the right term, but I think they lack resolve - i.e. the sound is slightly run-together when a lot of things are going on simultaneously on the track. Hopefully someone else can confirm/discredit this when more people start getting their PL50s, and I will post more updates as I listen. *Confirmed*

I found this on your more detailed review on the soundmagic pl50, I guess I will have to take them off my list
frown.gif

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #6,757 of 16,931
Hey Joker, based on memory, can you kindly do a short comparison between the DBA/B2s and the SM3s? Would the SM3s do well for bright recordings that sound a little harsh on the DBAs? Also, do you find the SM3s dark and veiled? Thanks!

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #6,759 of 16,931

Quote:
i dont mind the wait, i love reading all your iem reviews, they're so entertaining! keep up the good work :wink:

Thanks 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
I find it amusing that a year later after pretty much losing interest in iems the TF10 is still pending :p

Yes, I am thinking I should just keep it that way for posterity

Quote:
Is bigbargainonline a reputable dealer?

I've definitely heard the name before but haven't purchased anything from them personally

Quote:

I found this on your more detailed review on the soundmagic pl50, I guess I will have to take them off my list
frown.gif

Hah, that's an ancient thread. I later figured out that my problem was the thickness/creaminess in the upper mids that was sort of... 'suffocating' me. Just not my kind of sound but keep in mind that some people like that sort of thing.

Quote:
Hey Joker, based on memory, can you kindly do a short comparison between the DBA/B2s and the SM3s? Would the SM3s do well for bright recordings that sound a little harsh on the DBAs? Also, do you find the SM3s dark and veiled? Thanks!

Sure, the SM3 is not nearly as bright  as the DBA-02 so it should let those recordings slide. Overall the SM3 is much thicker and smoother, more forward in the bass and mids and less forward in the upper mids/treble. It's also got a more 3-d presentation. Compared to the DBA-02 the SM3 will certainly sound dark and veiled but that's an extreme case as the DBA-02 is much thinner-sounding and errs on the bright side. If you compare it to something like a Shure SE530 or Monster Turbines it doesn't sound dark and there's no veiling in terms of detail levels or loss of clarity. Bottom line: don't A:B it with something much brighter. Same reason that A:Bing the SM3 and EX1000 yields very negative results on both sides.

Quote:
thanks for this thread! probably the one ive read the most on headfi

Glad it's helpful!

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #6,760 of 16,931

Quote:

Quote:

frown.gif

Hah, that's an ancient thread. I later figured out that my problem was the thickness/creaminess in the upper mids that was sort of... 'suffocating' me. Just not my kind of sound but keep in mind that some people like that sort of thing.

heh, i missed that when i tried the A151. the pl50 are just smoother. the meelec more aggressive

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #6,762 of 16,931

Quote:
Are the pro copper stock tips the same as the monster turbine stock tips?

The silicone ones are but the Turbines I've had didn't come with any of the Supertips (foam, gel, or otherwise) that Monster includes with the Coppers. 

Apr 29, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #6,764 of 16,931

Quote:
Hey Mike, just wanted to thank you for the UM3X recommendation you gave me a while back. They've become my favorite universal and my most reached for iem, period. Finally a keeper I won't be selling!

Must've been a while ago
redface.gif
. Glad you're happy with them!

Apr 29, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #6,765 of 16,931
hi i looked at you chart very informative and helped me narrow down some of my choices i like the shure se215 and vsonic gr06. I really like the design and built of the se and the bass is suited to my needs but i hear the gr06 can compete with this for less. Im  no audiophile i just want to have fun listening to my music Not a true bass head i love punchy and tight bass not boomy and muddy bass. Also i hear the shure and westone style earphones are best if your laying in bed or fall asleep are the best in terms of comfort is it true

Users who are viewing this thread

Back