Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 21, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #6,676 of 16,931
I was just ready to pull the trigger and go for the DBA-02 mkII and now I saw the review of the GR01. The GR01 looks just so beautiful and lovely (like something I always thought etymotic should have done a long time ago) and I'm torn between the bass punch and the better resolution and transparency of the DBA-02 and the better looks and smoother sound of the GR01. I've never been superficial but I'm starting to think the looks will win this time.

Apr 21, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #6,677 of 16,931

Quote:
I was just ready to pull the trigger and go for the DBA-02 mkII and now I saw the review of the GR01. The GR01 looks just so beautiful and lovely (like something I always thought etymotic should have done a long time ago) and I'm torn between the bass punch and the better resolution and transparency of the DBA-02 and the better looks and smoother sound of the GR01. I've never been superficial but I'm starting to think the looks will win this time.

You might want to checkout the Rockit Sounds thread and read mine and Jupiterknights reviews on the R-50.  From the way joker describes the GR01 its almost the same as I hear the R-50 and its only $119.99 shipped.  I'm listening to them right now through my J3 and they sound amazing for how much they cost, easily punching above they're price point.  So far I've had very good customer service from Rocky at Rockit Sounds and I received my order in 4 days from Hong Kong to Dallas and thats with free shipping.

So I feel its worth taking a look at even though not many people know about them as they are a very new company out of Cali (but the IEM's ship from Hong Kong).

Apr 21, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #6,678 of 16,931
Did anyone manage to get a set of GR06s off Frogbeats?

Re-stock was confirmed to be today, but I've been checking regularly and both the actual page and the Stock List say its out of stock??

confused_face(1).gif
angry_face.gif

Apr 21, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #6,679 of 16,931

Figured I'd re-post this here which some might find slightly useful.  Mostly confirms what Joker is hearing IMO.

GR01, very pleasant and inoffensive.  Nice resolution for the class and decent clarity, better than typical DDs at the price.  Decent PRaT but compressed dynamic range makes its really unengaging for me over the long haul.  While the phone sounds nice I can't shake the elevator music feeling of the tracks just being a background experience.  Toms feel too mushy and soft, must be the lower mid/upper bass 'laid back' character you mentioned.

DBA mkII, tonally half way between the B2 and GR01.  This is for those that want the B2/DBA sig but thought it was too treble tipped and need a bit of a rounder, softer midbass. with the same impact.  More clarity than the GR01 but behind the B2.

B2, stunning clarity and transparency for the money.  Still one of the best in this area I've heard.  Tighter midbass makes it seem a bit lighter but extension is the same between B2 and DBA mkII.  The amazing clarity just does wonders for making instruments and vocal holographic and real.  Still an amazing phone to me if transparency is your thing.

UERM, tonally between the DBA mkII and B2 which is just about as neutral as you can get.  Doesn't have the bell like quality of the B2 but overall sounds more natural, better note weight, bass extension, fuller sound and dynamic range of the bunch.  Detail everywhere, resolves instruments the other phones didn't know were there.  Layers of sound.  Precise imaging and space.

Apr 22, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #6,680 of 16,931

Quote:
can you explain a bit more about QC issue? Is it common issue for IEM for only for the cc51?

QC issue meaning it is a defective unit. I've never heard of a problem like that so I'm guessing it's not common.

Quote:
How about the etymotic hf5 then? Can their mids compete with the westone 1's?

Sure can, unless you like the warm tone of the W1 (which the HF5 doesn't share)

Quote:
Joker, how does EPH-100 timbre compare to FXT90?

And both above compared to GR07

I never got to compare the EPH-100 to the FXT90 but I think all three are very close. If I had to I'd give the nod to the FXT90 but you won't have trouble telling instruments apart with any of these.

Quote:

If the heart desires...

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #6,682 of 16,931

Quote:
Did anyone manage to get a set of GR06s off Frogbeats?

Re-stock was confirmed to be today, but I've been checking regularly and both the actual page and the Stock List say its out of stock??

confused_face(1).gif
angry_face.gif

Give them till close of day on Monday.  Being the weekend it probably won't get updated until then anyway.

Could always fire them an email.

Cheers.

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #6,686 of 16,931

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I never got to compare the EPH-100 to the FXT90 but I think all three are very close. If I had to I'd give the nod to the FXT90 but you won't have trouble telling instruments apart with any of these.

Gotcha... I was wondering what to get, EPH-100 or FXT90, just afraid the signature is too close with GR07...

Apr 22, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #6,687 of 16,931

Quote:
So does that mean that the westone 1 have smoother mids than the etymotic hf5? Sorry for asking so much questions just about these 2 earphones
redface.gif

No, the HF5 is just a little cooler in tone. I don't think it lacks any smoothness and the mids are extremely clean and detailed.

Quote:
Does anyone know if the Comply T-500 tips will fit on the MEElectronics M9's? 
I already have the tips for my M6's. 

The M9 nozzle is bigger, I'm pretty sure it takes the -400 size.

Quote:

Gotcha... I was wondering what to get, EPH-100 or FXT90, just afraid the signature is too close with GR07...

Well, since I did compare the FXT90 to the GR07 quite a few times back when I had it maybe this will help (although all or most of this is already in the FXT90 review)

Quote:
FXT90:
-More bass body, longer decay times
-Warmer tone
-Bass more impactful and more forward
-More forward/intimate presentation overall
-Slightly better layering/depth
-Slightly better dynamics

GR07:
-Better bass control, tighter
-Bass is punchy but not as powerful
-Tone more neutral, cooler than the FXT90
-Slightly better clarity/transparency/resolution
-Flatter response overall
-Wider stage/more distant presentation

Apr 22, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #6,688 of 16,931
Hey Joker,

I think I've read you said the HF5 is 90% of the ER4S, do you still hold to this?

Apr 22, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #6,689 of 16,931
How will the Atrio M5 (with MG7 Driver ) compares with the VSonic GR06/GR07 and Sony MDR-EX600 in terms of the bass department without compromising mids and highs.
Also will any of the IEM's above result in a significant upgrade to the V-Moda M-80 headphones i have right now 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back