Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 24, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #6,346 of 16,931

Quote:
Just curious, what causes the delay between the review being written and it being added to the thread? Is it just assigning numerical values?

No, the scoring is usually finished by the time a review is written but I only post two new ones per week and I like to pair up sets that are at least somewhat similar (e.g. same  manufacturer, similar signature, similar price category, etc) so it might take a few weeks for me to pair something up or have a week where I don't have more urgent reviews to post.

Quote:
I don't disagree with you; the GR07 is indeed better, but the XBA-1 is half the price, which is pretty nice.

I've had mine for a few days already, having had auditioned it several times prior to purchasing it, and while it's no world beater, I believe it's one of the better deals in the Sony portfolio. The extension can be better, and in general everything is just a little thin-sounding, but it's pleasant and mostly a do-no-wrong type of sound. Though I hated the J-cord, I'm getting more used to it. I'd love to hear your thoughts of it against a top-level single BA like the SBA-03, and I'd totally lend mine to you, but it's too bad I don't live in LA anymore.

Something comparable in technology and pricing like the PFE121 probably bests it, but I haven't done a direct comparison.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing the XBA-1 for not beating the GR07 - if you read my original CES impressions I was impressed with it as is. Just saying that I didn't get a very good picture of its performance because I only had the GR07 to compare it to.

Quote:
Just as an update from waaaaay back in late February, when I asked for a IEM recommendation, I received my FXT90 yesterday and I agree with most of ljokerl's impression on it, albeit with a few things I still haven't noticed yet, such as the airiness. But still, it's quite the perfect match for me and have to thank ljokerl for his suggestion back then. Heck I even got it at lesser than street price at $108! Super bargain IMO.

Great price, glad you like 'em!

Quote:
Hey joker I was wondering how the Atrio MG7 stacks up against the FXT90.  I just bought the Atrio's a few days ago and I have the FXT90 but I'm not all that impressed with them because I just find them to have a sound signature I just don't like to much.  I'm hoping the MG7 is more to my liking and from your review of them I think they will be I just want to know if they are as airy and bright as the FXT90.  I'm looking for a warmer sound but still have some good detail and I know the bass will be great with the lake of a mid-bass hump.

Since I don't know what your signature preferences are and why the FXT90 doesn't suit them, you're probably best off just trying the MG7 yourself. They are neither as airy nor as bright as the FXT90 if that was the problem. 

Mar 24, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #6,347 of 16,931
Thanks joker thats what I wanted to know.  I think the MG7 will suit me just right.

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #6,348 of 16,931
hi joker. this is my first post :D
why dont u put the review about TF10 & sunrise xcited whereas u have heard it? (i mean on this thread)

i love k-pop like SNSD, G.Na, IU. either their beat songs or mellow songs.
IU and taeyoen SNSD (wish u know them lol) have a very good high voice, i love their voice, but dont like when the voices sound harsh/sibilance. ah, why dba-02 and gr07 have a great score whereas many people in my country said that they're too sibilance?

may i have ur advice which one (or maybe two) is/are best for me? max. budget <= $200
- TF10 (about $200 in my country)
- Brainwavz B2 / FA DBA-02
- HifiMan RE 262
- VSonic GR07
- phonak pfe 112 (not worth if it not amp?)
- Shure 215
- or maybe another option?

for <= $100
- sunrise 'B' xcited
- sunrise sw xcape
- RE-ZERO
- FA Eterna

source: only ipod touch 4 / sansa clip and without amp. my IEM is only monoprice 8320. i like monoprice, but still really want to upgrade my IEM.

sorry for my bad english :frowning2:

thanks in advance :)

Mar 25, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #6,350 of 16,931

Quote:
hi joker. this is my first post :D
why dont u put the review about TF10 & sunrise xcited whereas u have heard it? (i mean on this thread)

i love k-pop like SNSD, G.Na, IU. either their beat songs or mellow songs.
IU and taeyoen SNSD (wish u know them lol) have a very good high voice, i love their voice, but dont like when the voices sound harsh/sibilance. ah, why dba-02 and gr07 have a great score whereas many people in my country said that they're too sibilance?

may i have ur advice which one (or maybe two) is/are best for me? max. budget <= $200
- TF10 (about $200 in my country)
- Brainwavz B2 / FA DBA-02
- HifiMan RE 262
- VSonic GR07
- phonak pfe 112 (not worth if it not amp?)
- Shure 215
- or maybe another option?

for <= $100
- sunrise 'B' xcited
- sunrise sw xcape
- RE-ZERO
- FA Eterna

source: only ipod touch 4 / sansa clip and without amp. my IEM is only monoprice 8320. i like monoprice, but still really want to upgrade my IEM.

sorry for my bad english :frowning2:

thanks in advance :)

Yes, those are all over the place. You should really narrow it down based on what you like/would like to see improved over the monoprice 8320 as it has a nice, clean signature that's easy to use as a benchmark. If sibilance is a big concern give the DBA-02 and GR07 a pass - there's enough other options not to risk it (GR01, for example, which is a bit smoother at the top than the DBA-02 and GR07).

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #6,353 of 16,931
Hello Joker. You really started a monster with your reviews. Everyone wants to pick your brain, including me. I was narrowing my purchase choice to two IEMs that are currently priced similarly: The Audio-Technica ATH-CK10 and Sony MDR-EX1000.  You have Sony just a .1 higher in your review but it is a dynamic and do you really think that it sounds better than ATs with what you are looking for- ie a more balanced sound across all frequencies? I really do not have the opportunity to try both as they are imports with limited distribution. I have a wide range of music tastes so I am looking for an IEM that can take whatever is thrown at it. I am not a basshead but sometimes I appreciate a bit of oomph with techno. I do have a Electric Avenue PAV2. Do either two benefit from amping? Which has the better soundstage in terms of isolation of instruments and depth? Sounds like the Sony.

BTW the, your review implies the AT CK100 is not a significant upgrade from the CK10 to justify its cost. Would that be accurate?

Also, why haven't you posted a review of the UE TF10? I am extremely curious to see what you think of it.

Mar 26, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #6,355 of 16,931

Quote:
Yes, those are all over the place. You should really narrow it down based on what you like/would like to see improved over the monoprice 8320 as it has a nice, clean signature that's easy to use as a benchmark. If sibilance is a big concern give the DBA-02 and GR07 a pass - there's enough other options not to risk it (GR01, for example, which is a bit smoother at the top than the DBA-02 and GR07).

thank you :D
no one sell GR01 in my country.
one more question, GR01 or TF10?

Mar 26, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #6,356 of 16,931

Quote:
GR01 or TF10?

Well that would depend on what sound signature you're looking for (which you haven't specified yet). 
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #6,357 of 16,931

Quote:

Well that would depend on what sound signature you're looking for (which you haven't specified yet). 
wink.gif

ah.. sorry.. the soundsig.
it quiet difficult for me to tell it clearly in english. i hope u can understand what i mean.
- mid not too forward neither recessed in order i can hear the instrument behind the vocal clearly.
- good soundstage.
- quiet sibilance is ok, but not too sibilance (prefer clear high).
- bass is enough. not too small nor big.
- good sound even without amp.

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #6,359 of 16,931

Quote:
I see.. In that case, I'd suggest the GR01s. But also check out the GR07 as they are both quite similar to my ears. 
smile.gif

Your are sort of suggesting the only iems that you are currently in possession of with the exception of the gr06 so this is quit a biased decision :p but then they do, do from what I've heard, be what he is looking for you might be right aha :)

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #6,360 of 16,931
Added Fischer Audio DBA-02 mkII

Quote:
(2A25) Fischer Audio DBA-02 mkII

Reviewed Mar 2012

Details: Second version of Fischer’s dual-driver flagship
Current Price: $178 from musicaacoustics.com (MSRP: $198)
Specs: Driver: Dual BA | Imp: 43 Ω | Sens: 108 dB | Freq: 20-24k Hz | Cable: 4.3' I-plug
Nozzle Size: 2.5mm | Preferred tips: Stock triple-flange
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (4.5/5) – Standard (3 sizes), foam-stuffed Sony Hybrid-style (3 sizes), and Apple-style (2 sizes) single-flange silicone tips, triple-flange silicone tips, over-the-ear cable guides, shirt clip, and clamshell carrying case
Build Quality (4/5) – The tiny new housings feel very sturdy compared to the old DBA-02 shells, boasting a nice rubberized finish and all-black color scheme. The thick flat cable is similar to the one on Fischer’s Oldskool ’70 portable headphone and is very well-relieved both on housing entry and at the I-plug. Biggest complaint is the lack of a cable cinch, which would be a bigger help with the thicker & stiffer flat cable compared to the old DBA-02’s softer twisted cord
Isolation (4.5/5) – Very good now that the housings are designed for a deep fit and the accessory pack includes a larger variety of tips
Microphonics (3.5/5) – Bothersome when worn cord-down, low when worn over-the-ear
Comfort (4.5/5) – The new housings are small and very lightweight, with more shallowly angled nozzles that work both for cable-up and cable-down wear. They are only a bit larger than the q-JAYS/UE700 but the stiff, thick cable makes it harder for the DBA-02 mkII to disappear when worn

Sound (9.2/10) – Upon its release, the original Fischer Audio DBA-02 was undoubtedly one of the best bang-for-the-buck earphones on the market for fans of balanced and accurate sound. It mustered a loyal following and still commands frequent recommendations more than two years later. While the new mkII revision, which is set to replace the mkI very soon, is in large part cosmetic, the two generations do differ ever so slightly in sound signature.

Expectedly, the mkII retains the general sound profile of a TWFK-based earphone – tight and precise bass, a clean and detailed midrange, and prominent, sparkly treble. As before, the bass quantity is quite close to neutral and the low end is only missing a tiny bit of extension at the very bottom. The mkII seems to move a touch more air compared to the old DBA-02 and has a marginally thicker note presentation but overall the bass is similarly quick and highly detailed, with better texture compared to the Ultimate Ears 700 and a bit more punch compared to the VSonic GR01.

The midrange is clean and prominent, balanced very well with the low end and offering high levels of clarity and detail. The DBA-02 has always been an aggressive-sounding earphone, with an extremely crisp presentation and excellent texture. The mkII revision sounds a touch more dry compared to the old version, with a darker background and cleaner notes, but on the whole the two sets are again more similar to each other than they are to other TWFK-based earphones. The CK10, GR01, and UE700 are all smoother and more liquid-sounding but the DBA-02 mkII is more aggressively detailed compared to the UE700 and clearer than the GR01. It is the most analytical-sounding of the bunch, but the clarity and detail are well worth it.

The top end of the DBA-02 mkII is crisp and extended. The resolution of the TWFK driver is immense – even the VSonic GR07 fails to sound all that clean and effortless next to the DBA-02. Compared to the original DBA-02, the mkII seems to have been tuned for slightly more relaxed treble, but in reality it is only a hair less sibilant on a few tracks. Otherwise it sounds sparkly and energetic, as the original did – less ‘hot’ than the ATH-CK10 but still not quite as smooth as the VSonic GR01. Treble extension is good and yet there’s none of the sheen or shimmer present at the top end of some other BA-based universals, resulting in fairly realistic timbre with no metallic treble edge.

The presentation of the DBA-02 mkII is open and airy, as TWFK-based earphones tend to be, but perhaps a touch less so than the brighter mkI. The soundstage is well-rounded, with better depth and height but a little less width in comparison to the UE700. Instrument separation is excellent – again more competent than even the VSonic GR07 – and the sound is nicely layered. The ATH-CK10 is still slightly more enveloping, with better 3D imaging and ambience, but the DBA-02 is no slouch, with a better on-center feel compared to the UE700 and especially the more distant-sounding GR07. Some dynamics are sacrificed in order to maintain aggressive detailing – the Earsonics SM3, Westone 4, and most dynamic-driver sets fare better here – but this will be a mere nitpick for most listeners. Overall, the sound quality of DBA-02 mkII is still well worth the price of admission.

Value (9.5/10) – The second revision of Fischer Audio's renowned DBA-02 finally matches the premium sound of the earphone with a premium feel, making a series of gains over the old version as a result of a new housing design, more durable cable construction, and improved accessory pack. The updated earphones are sturdier, more comfortable, and more isolating – a more mature package more deserving of being a market mainstay. The sound, while slightly re-tuned, is still closer to the 1st-gen DBA-02 than the other TWFK-based earphones on the market. The only real complaint has to do with the microphonics – there is more cable noise with the flat, rubbery cable on the DBA-02 mkII unless the earphones are worn cord-up. Despite this, the DBA-02 is still about as good as it gets for the analytical listener; the competition may have gotten stiffer, but the bang/buck ratio of the DBA-02 has remained very strong.

Pros: Astonishingly balanced and capable sound, comfortable, well-built, and well-isolating
Cons: Microphonic when worn cord-down; no cable cinch

Quote:
Hey Joker, off the top of your head, which headphones excel at classical, around $100 or so
Probably going to get a pair exclusively for that, hoping not to spend much

Depends on what type of sound you prefer for your classical listening. I know some love the detail and accuracy of Etys and yet others can't live without the full-bodied bass of something like an FX700 for orchestral works. If you're in the former group, an RE0 or RE-ZERO should do it.

Quote:
Hello Joker. You really started a monster with your reviews. Everyone wants to pick your brain, including me. I was narrowing my purchase choice to two IEMs that are currently priced similarly: The Audio-Technica ATH-CK10 and Sony MDR-EX1000.  You have Sony just a .1 higher in your review but it is a dynamic and do you really think that it sounds better than ATs with what you are looking for- ie a more balanced sound across all frequencies? I really do not have the opportunity to try both as they are imports with limited distribution. I have a wide range of music tastes so I am looking for an IEM that can take whatever is thrown at it. I am not a basshead but sometimes I appreciate a bit of oomph with techno. I do have a Electric Avenue PAV2. Do either two benefit from amping? Which has the better soundstage in terms of isolation of instruments and depth? Sounds like the Sony.

BTW the, your review implies the AT CK100 is not a significant upgrade from the CK10 to justify its cost. Would that be accurate?

Also, why haven't you posted a review of the UE TF10? I am extremely curious to see what you think of it.

I don't think the EX1000 is as ruler-flat as the CK10 but if priced similarly I would take the Sonys no question. They definitely move more air for your bass needs without sounding unbalanced. Both are efficient and have good separation although the Sony definitely has way more width than depth whereas the CK10 is more spherical/well-rounded in terms of soundstage shape.

The CK100 is different in signature so it's not too fair to compare the two. It isn't any more accurate than the CK10 but they each do certain things well. 

I don't like the fit of the TF10 and haven't had the time to review it.

Quote:
ah.. sorry.. the soundsig.
it quiet difficult for me to tell it clearly in english. i hope u can understand what i mean.
- mid not too forward neither recessed in order i can hear the instrument behind the vocal clearly.
- good soundstage.
- quiet sibilance is ok, but not too sibilance (prefer clear high).
- bass is enough. not too small nor big.
- good sound even without amp.

The quantification of 'enough bass' definitely differs from listener to listener. The GR01 has better extension compared to the Monoprice but not more impact so if you think the Monoprice needs more bass power, look elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back