Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 15, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #6,301 of 16,931

Quote:
Joker, have you ever had the chance to hear the Yamaha EPH-100?
If so, how well can you describe the SQ? What is it on par with?

No, I haven't

Quote:
I actually did read most of his post thread, but it's a bit overwhelming lol. I picked out a few, and was actually looking at the um3x, sm3, ex1000, fx700, AGS-1, and e-Q5. I was also looking at the ER4 and CK10, and they seemed perfect, except the fact they're bass light :/. I don't really want them to be bass light. And not too bloated either! I like deep detailed bass as I listen to bass heavy music, but would prefer the 3-D imaging thing if it came down to the 2 criteria. :)

As you can see, there's a lot of choices, and I don't even know if they're fully suited for what I want (as I don't really understand the difference between soundstage, imaging, separation, layering, 3-D presentation, etc.) So I just wanted to explain the sound I wanted to Joker, and see if he could rank the top suggestions for me. :)

Thanks anyways for the response and suggestions! I'll have to check some of the other ones out.

I haven't heard the ASG-1 but the rest are all good choices. The SM3 has what is probably the most 3-D presentation, the UM3X has the best separation, the EX1000 has the widest headstage, and the e-Q5 and FX700 are just excellent all-rounders. The CK10 has some of the best imaging I've heard but if you're worried about bass I'd give it a pass. Maybe pass on the e-Q5 too even though it has a bit more bass than a CK10/ER4S. If you need isolation both the UM3X and SM3 are very good choices but I'm not sure you'll find either for <$300 new.

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #6,302 of 16,931

Quote:
Joker, have you ever had the chance to hear the Yamaha EPH-100?
If so, how well can you describe the SQ? What is it on par with?

I'm curious too, since I took (unpretentious), I can no longer away from my ears.
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #6,304 of 16,931

Quote:
Hey joker, when you do your review of the Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10's, do you plan to/ could you compare them to Klipsch X10's and or Etymotic HF5's?

I don't have the X10 anymore (it was a loan) but I'll be comparing them with Etys when (if?) I have time to finally do the review.

Mar 18, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #6,305 of 16,931
hi joker, I think you're experienced in helping newcomer, so could you recommend a few choices of IEM for my friend? (like 2-3)
he's a first timer with budget around 80 USD. he likes bass and listens to wide range of music genre (mostly pop though).

we can get these brands here : MEElectronics, SoundMAGIC, Sony, Sennheiser, Fischer Audio, HifiMan, Sunrise, Brainwavz, Jays, Hippo, Crossroads, Klipsch, Ultimate Ears, Denon, Audio Technica, AKG
I think only these brands which have IEM around that price (or cheaper) here

thx before.

Mar 18, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #6,306 of 16,931

Quote:
I'm curious too, since I took (unpretentious), I can no longer away from my ears.
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Indeed, having now only the SM3's that i love,  but I have to take off time to time during the day, when i had EPH-100, i could spent hours with them in ears without getting tired.

Great iem for the price.

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #6,307 of 16,931
Added Velodyne vPulse and TFTA 1V

Quote:
(2C49) Velodyne vPulse

Reviewed Mar 2012

Details: In-ear headset from subwoofer manufacturer Velodyne
Current Price: $89 from amazon.com (MSRP: $89)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 16Ω | Sens: 99 dB | Freq: 20-20k Hz | Cable: 3.7' L-plug
Nozzle Size: 5mm | Preferred tips: Stock single-flanges; short bi-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (4/5) - Single-flange silicone tips (10 pairs in 4 sizes), shirt clip, and carrying case
Build Quality (4/5) - The design of the vPulse is highly derivative but the earphones are well-built and user-friendly. The flat cable is smooth and tangle-free, with a sturdy feel and nice matte finish. It lacks heavy-duty strain reliefs but includes a cable cinch and shirt clip, both rare among flat-cable models. Some of the plastic parts show molding artifacts, which detracts from the otherwise premium feel of the product. A 3-button apple remote and in-line mic are present on the left side
Isolation (4/5) – Very good for a vented, angled-nozzle design
Microphonics (4.5/5) – Low when worn cable-down; nonexistent otherwise
Comfort (4/5) - The vPulse uses an angled-nozzle design for ergonomic fitment. The housings are light and the stock tips are quite decent. Wearing the earphones cord-up is a bit tricky due to the flat cable but the cable cinch and shirt clip help. The vPulse does appreciate a deeper seal for best sound so longer aftermarket tips may be required for some

Sound (7.4/10) - The tagline developed by Velodyne for the vPulse is simply “bring the bass”, a promise the earphones keep in a big way. The bass is deep, reaching down below 30Hz effortlessly and offering pretty good texture all the way down. There is significant sub-bass emphasis but not much of a mid-bass hump, which allows the vPulse to avoid the boomy, bloated sound of mid-bassy sets such as the TFTA 1V and Beyerdynamic DTX 101 iE. The bass does tend to linger a bit and there are definitely times when the vPulse is overwhelmingly bassy but for the amount of bass contained, the control is very impressive.

The midrange of the vPulse takes a step back in emphasis compared to the subbass but sounds clear and detailed, giving up just a bit of resolution and crispness to the MEElec CC51, VSonic GR06, and higher-end sets. The laid-back nature is especially apparent next to the Dunu Trident and Beyerdynamic DTX 101 iE, both of which try to keep their mids free of bass bleed by pushing them forward. With the vPulse it is instead the lack of mid-bass bloat that keeps the midrange clean, allowing the response to remain more level all the way up. The mids are smooth but a bit on the dry side, reminding me of the HiSound Crystal, and lack some delicacy and refinement, as well a bit of transparency.

At the top the vPulse is again laid-back and not at all bright – the balance is clearly skewed towards the lows. Next to the more v-shaped sound of sets such as the id America Spark and Klipsch S4, the Velodynes come across a bit dull but avoid all harshness and sibilance, delivering a smooth, non-fatiguing sound. They are also more forgiving of lower-bitrate tracks – likely a positive considering the iPhone-wielding target audience of the vPulse.

The presentation of the Velodynes is rather wide but the soundstage doesn’t have great depth or layering, resulting in sound that feels a bit ‘flat’. This is due in part to the somewhat constrained dynamics - the MEElec CC51 and id America Spark, for example, both sound more dynamic and provide more well-rounded – albeit smaller – presentations. The vPulse lacks good on-center feel and separation, and while its sound is more spacious and less closed-in next to cheaper IEMs such as the Dunu Trident, the mediocre dynamics also cause it to sound a bit dull and uninvolving at lower listening volumes.

Value (9/10) – The first in-ear earphone from the bass experts at Velodyne, the vPulse does a good job of combining user-friendliness and functionality in a single package. While the design is derivative in many ways, the vPulse has a lot going for it - tangle-resistant cables, low microphonics, comfortable angled-nozzle earpieces, and a 3-button remote are all standard features. The sound combines solid bass rumble and depth with slightly subdued – but still clean and detailed – mids and highs. The bass can be a touch overpowering on some tracks but normally remains well-behaved for such a bassy earphone, making the vPulse highly suitable for anyone in search of a reasonably-priced headset with plentiful rumble and power.

Pros: Comfortable and well-designed; deep, powerful bass; good clarity and all-around performance
Cons: Bass can occasionally be overwhelming

Quote:
(2A24) TFTA-2100-2V1S / 1V

Reviewed Mar 2012

Details: Bass-heavy IEM sharing a housing design with the Padacs Aksent
Current Price: est. $156 (£100) from tfta.eu (MSRP: £99.95)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 16Ω | Sens: 100 dB | Freq: 20-20k Hz | Cable: 4' I-plug
Nozzle Size: 4.5mm | Preferred tips: generic bi-flanges; short bi-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (1/5) - Single-flange silicone tips (3 sizes)
Build Quality (3.5/5) – The gigantic metal housings are finished in glossy gunmetal and feel very sturdy. Beefy strain reliefs protect the thin, rubbery cable on housing entry but not so much at the I-plug. Driver flex is moderate to severe
Isolation (3.5/5) – Good for a vented dynamic-driver earphone
Microphonics (3.5/5) – Tolerable when worn cable-down; good otherwise
Comfort (3.5/5) – Though the housings are quite large, they weigh no more than those of the average metal-shelled earphone and can be worn both cord-up and cord-down

Sound (7.1/10) – The 1V shares more than just its housings with the Padacs Aksent – it shares the bass-centric sound signature as well. The low end of the TFTAs is very attention-grabbing and undoubtedly dominates in the overall balance - if bass could be measured in units of weight, the 1V would have a ton. The last set I remember being this bassy was the Sony XB40EX, with most other in-ears simply being put out to pasture in terms of bass quantity. Bass depth is very good – while there is a touch more mid-bass than sub-bass, rumble and subbass power are plentiful. Impact is very good as well – the TFTAs are capable of moving lots and lots of air. The notes produced are a bit rounded and the bass sounds very full-bodied, even ‘fat’. On the downside, it also appears bloated and boomy much of the time, which is not unexpected considering the quantity.

The mids of the TFTA 1V are recessed in comparison to the low end, though there is quite a bit of bass bleed propping up the lower midrange. The bleed reduces clarity and resolution – on both counts the TFTA is about on-par with the Dunu Trident and lags behind reasonably bassy sets such as the Beyerdynamic DTX 101 iE and id America Spark. The overall sound is warm, full, and colored, with reasonably good detail and a pleasant thickness. Those who are expecting the mids to serve as a compliment to the bass should be pleased but listeners on the hunt for transparency can do better, even among bass-heavy sets.

Similarly, while the treble doesn’t have the same veil as the midrange, it lacks crispness and definition. There is no smearing but the overall detail level isn’t particularly great and those looking for higher-than-average treble sparkle will be disappointed. Compared to other bass-heavy sets, however, the treble is not bad – the Beyerdynamic DTX 101 iE, for example, is just as treble-recessed, and the Velodyne vPulse has similarly average detail levels. Top-end extension is moderate – better than with the id America Spark and about on-par with the vPulse.

The presentation is perhaps the most interesting aspect of the 1V and also where it differs most from the cheaper Padacs Aksent. The soundstage is wide and spacious, providing a ‘big’ sound so befitting the huge bass presence. The sonic space is deep and reverberant but unfortunately the bass dominance doesn’t help with separation – the low end is consistently intrusive and seems to come from everywhere all at once. It is often more enjoyable than the somewhat flat and boring soundstage of the Velodyne vPulse but a little more positioning accuracy definitely wouldn’t have hurt.

Value (7/10) – The TFTA 1V is a basshead’s dream come true, a set that unabashedly refuses to sacrifice its immense bass for any reason. The housings, while large, are quite attractive and not overly heavy and the isolation and build quality are decent enough to make the TFTA easy to recommend for those who just can’t get enough bass from headphones. For other listeners – especially those who fear bass bloat - alternatives abound.

Pros: Well-built and attractive; large presentation; big bass
Cons: Very large housings; driver flex; big bloat

Thanks to -y0- for the TFTA loan  

Quote:
hi joker, I think you're experienced in helping newcomer, so could you recommend a few choices of IEM for my friend? (like 2-3)
he's a first timer with budget around 80 USD. he likes bass and listens to wide range of music genre (mostly pop though).

we can get these brands here : MEElectronics, SoundMAGIC, Sony, Sennheiser, Fischer Audio, HifiMan, Sunrise, Brainwavz, Jays, Hippo, Crossroads, Klipsch, Ultimate Ears, Denon, Audio Technica, AKG
I think only these brands which have IEM around that price (or cheaper) here

thx before.

Sure, I think the following would all be good options depending on what you'll be paying for them and the exact sound profile desired:

MEElectronics: CC51 or SP51
Soundmagic: E10
Fischer Audio: Eterna or Consonance
Brainwavz: M2
Hippo: VB

The E10 is a good start as it is priced reasonably and has a likable sound to it. Not exactly hi-fi but way better than it should be for $35. 

Mar 19, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #6,312 of 16,931

Quote:
The TFTA 1V is a basshead’s dream come true, a set that unabashedly refuses to sacrifice its immense bass for any reason.

Wow, and to think the 1XB (2100-3V2B) have even more bass. Would be very interesting to see what you think of the bass on those in comparison to all the other bassy iems you have heard.

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #6,313 of 16,931

Quote:
Oh, so do you have a pair of GR06s?  Could you possibly make a comparison to the GR07 if you haven't done so already...?

(sorry, I haven't been following the thread lately)

Thanks!!

I do but I haven't listened to them for more than a few minutes. First impressions were that it lacks bass depth and a bit of control compared to the GR07, being more mid-bass oriented. Mids seem a little less crisp and clean also. It's still got a bit of the same treble stridency and the same laid-back presentation as the GR07, at least out of the box. No doubt that it'll be great value for money at $50-60, though.

Quote:
Thank you for the vPulse review. Been waiting for it! Thanks for recommending it to me last month and its awesome that you think highly of it(cuz we think highly of your opinions). Props again!

Thanks, did you end up buying the vPulse? Curious if it's just my pair that has somewhat careless plastic molding or all of them. Does not affect functionality in any way so I can't complain much but it is supposed to be a $90 product.

Quote:
Hi Joker, great Vpulse review..

How do you feel it stacks up against something like the Fischer Audio Eterna?

On the whole - very well. The Eterna is a touch more refined overall and also has a slightly more well-rounded presentation which nudges it up in SQ but of course the vPulse can be worn cable-down and has a remote and a US warranty.

Quote:
Wow, and to think the 1XB (2100-3V2B) have even more bass. Would be very interesting to see what you think of the bass on those in comparison to all the other bassy iems you have heard.

I think my brain would turn to mush and I wouldn't be able to come back and tell the tale.. 

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #6,314 of 16,931

Quote:

I do but I haven't listened to them for more than a few minutes. First impressions were that it lacks bass depth and a bit of control compared to the GR07, being more mid-bass oriented. Mids seem a little less crisp and clean also. It's still got a bit of the same treble stridency and the same laid-back presentation as the GR07, at least out of the box. No doubt that it'll be great value for money at $50-60, though.

Alright, thanks, I'm looking forward to your review!  I'm looking for a replacement to my GR07 after they broke...I kind of wanted to try something a little different for a change though.

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #6,315 of 16,931
How do the vPulse and TFTA 1V compare with Atrio?
vPulse was on sale for 2 for 1 during valentine's day, but now promotion has ended (http://velodyne.com/promotion-details).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back