Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 12, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #6,271 of 16,931

Quote:

Those two would be my choice as well. Keep in mind that the MD has more bass than an ESW9, to the point where it can get slightly overbearing, and the RE262 has less to the point where you may have to EQ it. If you're used to getting IE8-level bass from your in-ears, the MD is probably the better choice though it lacks the large headstage of the IE8.

ljokerl, just wanted to shout out a big thanks, loving my new MDs and they were exactly what I was looking for.  (The recent sale didn't hurt either)  Thank You! 
beerchug.gif

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #6,272 of 16,931
Congrats on shortening your backlog by getting SF3/UHP336 out of the way.  Looking forward to the imminent TF10 review.
I had UHP336 a few years ago when I just started getting the IEM bug, and it was right after moving from EP-630.  Needless to say, I was so disappointed with 336's bass response.

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #6,273 of 16,931
Are you planning to do a review on the Phillips SHE 3580?

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #6,274 of 16,931
well at 1st i have multiple choice but going thru search, read joker thread read clieos thread read many other thread before end up with 2 final choice

if i dont do that i would type a 1000 word post asking all sorts of question

just need a nudge or a kick to point me the direction
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #6,275 of 16,931

Quote:
I see you're well on your way to that 300-review milestone! Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

Quote:
Oh my lord, I actually have a pair of UHP336.

It was my first decent pair of IEM after the EP-630. Also it is interesting to note that they use the same cable as TF10. I just pulled out some TF10 custom cables and are listening to them now.

When they were still being sold, they were priced in the mid $30's. Based on ljokerl's score, their performance/price should still be decently competitive if they had not been discontinued.

Yes, the actual text for this review was written well over a year ago - I just never got around to posting it. Back then they were still commonly available for $35-60 which is what the value score is based on. 

Quote:
joker,

sorry cant go thru 400++pages of this thread

for same price should i buy dunu trident or soundmagic e10?

found some love for bassy music..so looking the one with the best thumpy bass

thanks

Depends on whether you want a warmer, more intimate sound with more forward mids (Trident) or a more spacious sound with more treble emphasis (E10). Both have thumping bass and both are a good buy at $30-40.

Quote:
Congrats on shortening your backlog by getting SF3/UHP336 out of the way.  Looking forward to the imminent TF10 review.
I had UHP336 a few years ago when I just started getting the IEM bug, and it was right after moving from EP-630.  Needless to say, I was so disappointed with 336's bass response.

No surprise there, I wasn't a big fan of the 336 early on either but to their credit they were bassy enough next to my Ety ER6i and Nuforce NE-8 (which had no response below 80hz or so
tongue.gif
).

Quote:
Are you planning to do a review on the Phillips SHE 3580?

At some point. A list of all of the IEMs I have in my possession and plan to review can be found on the front page of this thread.

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #6,276 of 16,931
Thanks joker, this thread is great, and interesting since its one guy testing out all these IEMS....and thanks to your review i ended up with some HF5s and really enjoying them! Keep up the great work!!

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #6,277 of 16,931
Big thanks and congratulations on such a great database of reviews joker!

Question for you:  what's a good pair of mid-forward IEMs that can be had for cheap (<$100 but can swing a bit more if necessary)?  For reference here's a graph of how I find the Philips SHE3580 and Etymotic ER-4P relative to my ideal sound signature:

SHE3580-vs-etys.jpg

Red is SHE3580, black is ER-4P using the same tips as stock SHE3580, I gather you've heard both phones.  As you can see I find the SHE3580 V-shaped whereas the ER-4P is closer to my ideal except for a big spike in the treble.  I'm wondering if comply foams would remedy the latter but can't really test it now as my 4P are broken.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 13, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #6,280 of 16,931
Just a quick question... Out of mee's products ( limited to mee thanks to warranty ) which bass-oriented ( doesnt HAVE to be necessarily bass monsters, but with a decent amount... Higher then the neutrality of something like the m21 or a151.. ) did you prefer the most? The cc51 is off-limits unfortunately.. I am currently using the sp51, but i am able to get anything under it.. Is the sp51 the best im going to get.... ? Sorry, typing this off an ipod

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #6,282 of 16,931

Quote:
Thanks joker, this thread is great, and interesting since its one guy testing out all these IEMS....and thanks to your review i ended up with some HF5s and really enjoying them! Keep up the great work!!

Glad the thread was helpful!

Quote:
Big thanks and congratulations on such a great database of reviews joker!

Question for you:  what's a good pair of mid-forward IEMs that can be had for cheap (<$100 but can swing a bit more if necessary)?  For reference here's a graph of how I find the Philips SHE3580 and Etymotic ER-4P relative to my ideal sound signature:

Red is SHE3580, black is ER-4P using the same tips as stock SHE3580, I gather you've heard both phones.  As you can see I find the SHE3580 V-shaped whereas the ER-4P is closer to my ideal except for a big spike in the treble.  I'm wondering if comply foams would remedy the latter but can't really test it now as my 4P are broken.

Hmm... maybe the UE SF5? Not sure how it compares to the newer UE600 but it sounded rather smooth and mid-forward when I had it. The top end was a little dull but it was decent enough for the price and the clarity/resolution was slightly better compared to the Brainwavz M2 (which also has a good bass-midrange balance). The FA Tandem is a dynamic take on a similar signature, albeit with more/deeper bass vs the UE. Ditto on the Brookstone Clear Dual-Drive. 
Also, if you can go up to $150 the RE262 might be worth checking out. Bass depth might be a little disappointing after the Philips but otherwise it's a nice, smooth-sounding set.

Quote:
Just a quick question... Out of mee's products ( limited to mee thanks to warranty ) which bass-oriented ( doesnt HAVE to be necessarily bass monsters, but with a decent amount... Higher then the neutrality of something like the m21 or a151.. ) did you prefer the most? The cc51 is off-limits unfortunately.. I am currently using the sp51, but i am able to get anything under it.. Is the sp51 the best im going to get.... ? Sorry, typing this off an ipod

Outside of the CC51 the only set that's decent overall and has good bass is the SP51. I quite like the CW31 as well but it's at best a sidegrade from the SP51 and somewhere between the neutral/enhanced tunings of the SP51 in bass qty.

Quote:
How does the Ortofon eQ-7 compare to the HIFIMAN RE272?

One (e-Q7) is well-balanced with a slightly laid-back top end and a slightly dryer sound and the other is well-balanced with a slightly laid-back bottom end and a very liquid sound.

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #6,283 of 16,931
Thanks joker! Will definitely check out your recs.:)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 14, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #6,284 of 16,931
I am looking for a new IEM and am between a few options from your thread. My budget is around $40 and I need something to fit hip hop pretty good since its my genre of choice at most times. But the main issue I need to face is I want the least microphonics possible and them to be very comfortable. I think I am currently between the E30, M6, and a few Xears products (Xears Nature N3i ,Xears XE200PRO). I would love your opinion.

Mar 14, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #6,285 of 16,931

Quote:
I am looking for a new IEM and am between a few options from your thread. My budget is around $40 and I need something to fit hip hop pretty good since its my genre of choice at most times. But the main issue I need to face is I want the least microphonics possible and them to be very comfortable. I think I am currently between the E30, M6, and a few Xears products (Xears Nature N3i ,Xears XE200PRO). I would love your opinion.

The M6 and E30 definitely have less cable noise than any of the Xears models I've tried. You might also prefer the bassier sound of the cheaper M6 even though the E30 sounds better overall. Both are very comfortable IMO but the E30 is a little quicker to put on and take off since it lacks the memory wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back