Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 10, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #6,241 of 16,931
Quote:
damn,i just bought sony hybrids to use on my gr07 ,thinking it would be better, somehow the stock tips seem better, as the hybrids kill soundstage, and maybe do some other things to mess up the sound.

Quote:
Someone said to trim down the stretchy part of the tip nozzle to prevent it from "hour glass-ing" over the IEM filter opening (at least for larger diameter IEMs). Would this work?

Sure it would work, but I recommend doing the trimming gradually, as described in this post:

Quote:
The nozzle opening on the hybrids is smaller than the phone's nozzle, so they will attenuate treble and sound too bassy and congested without modification. But the more you shorten their stem, the more their opening will stretch over the phone's nozzle and open up (that's why you need the flexible genuine tips for doing that). The more they open up, the clearer and less bassy they'll become.

My sweet spot for the e-Q5 is at half length, but you can find your own by following this simple procedure:

1. Cut a thin slice (about 1mm) off the stems.
2. Stretch the tips all the way onto the nozzle and listen.
3. If they still sound too bassy/congested, repeat from step 1.
4. Stop if they sound just right, cause you can't undo your next step.
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #6,242 of 16,931
Heey I was wonderin, is there any other IEMs that are able to match up and beat in sound quality (perspective of a person that listens to mainly HipHop, Pop, Hardstyle, RnB) Audeo Phonak PFE 012 ($138 AUD) while having in-store prices that are about the same (<$150 preferably)?? i fully respect Joker, he's the coolest :D, but he doesnt listen to the same genre as me...soo i think that maay affect the review scores (well he did mention this)...basically i was just hopin that someone that listens to the same genres as me to give some recommendations thx

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #6,243 of 16,931

Quote:
If we are talking current models at full retail (non-sale) pricing, probably the Brainwavz M1 <$50 and Sunrise Xcape IE <$100 (for sound, at least - mine died after a while). PR200 is bassier than the PL50 but not as good overall. PR300 is much closer and still has decent bass.

Ah... sorry bout that, why didn't you asked for a replacement for the Xcape IE? I assume it's still on a warranty?

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #6,244 of 16,931

Quote:
Ah... sorry bout that, why didn't you asked for a replacement for the Xcape IE? I assume it's still on a warranty?

I did, it was (supposedly) shipped out and never got to me. Oh well - not like I have a dearth of decent IEMs. They still work if I play around with the plug and don't listen to them for more than an hour at a time. I'll just replace the plug some day..

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #6,245 of 16,931
Hey joker,

First, I think it would be great if you opened up a PayPal account for donations, like Android developers do; I think you would be surprised at the contributions you would get ^_^ I know other members make periodic funds for new and interesting IEMs for you, but personally I would feel less guilty asking your advice in such an overwhelming thread if I knew I could pop a dollar in your hat every time :wink:

Secondly, and to the point, I have read your reviews on each many, many times, but I would like to ask you personally: what advantages do you feel the SM2 offers over the SM3? Are there any distinct advantages to the SM2? Which is more likely to satisfy a moderate basshead who has been seduced by the lushness of Shure mids?

Also if you could draw any comparison between either one and the bass of the Klipsch X10 I would be very grateful :)

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #6,246 of 16,931
Hi Joker,

Awesome thread. Took awhile to work through.

I've got a number of iems including Westone 4, FXT 90, Vsonic GR07,Shure 530 & Earsonics SM2. Yes, Ive got the bug...The FXT90 strangely has too high treble energy, the SM2/530 are too thick and lacking sparkle. The GR07 is spectacular and to me edges out the W4 which is also awesome. Any suggestions for iems that would be similar to GR07/W4?

Thanks!

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #6,247 of 16,931

Quote:
Hey joker,

First, I think it would be great if you opened up a PayPal account for donations, like Android developers do; I think you would be surprised at the contributions you would get ^_^ I know other members make periodic funds for new and interesting IEMs for you, but personally I would feel less guilty asking your advice in such an overwhelming thread if I knew I could pop a dollar in your hat every time :wink:

Secondly, and to the point, I have read your reviews on each many, many times, but I would like to ask you personally: what advantages do you feel the SM2 offers over the SM3? Are there any distinct advantages to the SM2? Which is more likely to satisfy a moderate basshead who has been seduced by the lushness of Shure mids?

Also if you could draw any comparison between either one and the bass of the Klipsch X10 I would be very grateful :)

I've had a UM Miracle donated to me and should have a FitEar 334 coming eventually - I'm more than happy with that.

It's been a while since I've heard an SM2 but at the time I felt that the biggest differences vs SM3 was that the midrange was less close/intimate and the presentation was less enveloping. Bass is similar between the two and both are lush/thick-sounding so it would be a matter of preference. The X10 is pretty different - its bass is tighter and faster and - if I remember the SM2 correctly - flatter. 

Quote:
Hi Joker,
Awesome thread. Took awhile to work through.
I've got a number of iems including Westone 4, FXT 90, Vsonic GR07,Shure 530 & Earsonics SM2. Yes, Ive got the bug...The FXT90 strangely has too high treble energy, the SM2/530 are too thick and lacking sparkle. The GR07 is spectacular and to me edges out the W4 which is also awesome. Any suggestions for iems that would be similar to GR07/W4?
Thanks!

I don't find the FXT90 to be more energetic than the GR07 (though the two units I tried did have slightly different treble intensity) but maybe the EX1000? Would be wary of the treble but it's what I would have as a W4 compliment and GR07 replacement. 

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #6,248 of 16,931
I've just written a brief review of the ClarityOne IEMs I won earlier this week. I'm pretty new to high end audio so it's nothing incredible, but if you're looking into them then you might appreciate the insight :)

http://www.facebook.com/hifiheadphones/posts/10150734012645312

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #6,249 of 16,931

Quote:
damn,i just bought sony hybrids to use on my gr07 ,thinking it would be better, somehow the stock tips seem better, as the hybrids kill soundstage, and maybe do some other things to mess up the sound.

For soundstage, I thought the stock double-flanges were really nice, though the sibilance comes back. They're probably related, though...

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #6,250 of 16,931
Thanks! Based partly on your analysis (disclaimer: you are not held responsible for any suicidal/homicidal tendencies/overdraft charges my wallet may incur :p) I jumped on the SM3 v2; the forward mids and enveloping presentation are just what I am looking for. I enjoyed the bass out of the X10 but something tells me the SM3 will not disappoint where it really matters :)

Thanks again and again, |joker|; you have influenced almost every single one of my purchases either directly or indirectly, and have never led me astray, despite not having anything like my preferred sound signature. You are truly an icon, not to mention an asset, to this community :)

Quote:
I've had a UM Miracle donated to me and should have a FitEar 334 coming eventually - I'm more than happy with that.

It's been a while since I've heard an SM2 but at the time I felt that the biggest differences vs SM3 was that the midrange was less close/intimate and the presentation was less enveloping. Bass is similar between the two and both are lush/thick-sounding so it would be a matter of preference. The X10 is pretty different - its bass is tighter and faster and - if I remember the SM2 correctly - flatter. 

I don't find the FXT90 to be more energetic than the GR07 (though the two units I tried did have slightly different treble intensity) but maybe the EX1000? Would be wary of the treble but it's what I would have as a W4 compliment and GR07 replacement. 

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #6,252 of 16,931

Quote:
Thanks! Based partly on your analysis (disclaimer: you are not held responsible for any suicidal/homicidal tendencies/overdraft charges my wallet may incur :p) I jumped on the SM3 v2; the forward mids and enveloping presentation are just what I am looking for. I enjoyed the bass out of the X10 but something tells me the SM3 will not disappoint where it really matters :)

Thanks again and again, |joker|; you have influenced almost every single one of my purchases either directly or indirectly, and have never led me astray, despite not having anything like my preferred sound signature. You are truly an icon, not to mention an asset, to this community :)

Yes, it seems like the SM3 will match your signature preferences better than it does mine. I am a fan of the X10's bass but that's definitely at or even slightly above the upper limit of what I want from an IEM.

Quote:
Sounds like the perfect thing to try then.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, GD Audiobase requires a company specification in the "Bill To" address, and I have none to give. eBay doesn't have these either. Where else might I be able to buy a pair?

Treoo, maybe? I'm not very familiar with FIscher's distribution network.

Mar 11, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #6,255 of 16,931
Looking for a budget iem for purely gym use.

Owned a brainwavz m2 and the bass is pretty alright.

Which has a bigger bass thump and soundstage, brainwavz alpha or ep630?

Its not for jogging or any excessive usage, just machines and weights. 

Other iems welcomed too! Preferably below ~30usd ~

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back