Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 5, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #6,181 of 16,931
@joker

I received my Eterna today and so far I'm liking it, soundstage is really very immersive. treble seems to me lil bit more to me than with the brainwavz M2.

Thank You Joker

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #6,182 of 16,931
In Amazon.es (Spanish) they shell the ie8i for 205 euros (265 USD), I dont know if they shell to Canada. I've seen the Monster page shells the MD for 150 USD but they dont send it to outside US a pity :frowning2:.
Anyhow anybody know for a basshead whats better ie8 or ie80?

Quote:
Where and do these European sites ship to Canada

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #6,183 of 16,931

QFT. and I gotta say I'm surprised the X10 scored so high. My impression was that it had inferior detail in both mids & bass compared to the TF10 and the bass overwhelmed the rest of the sound spectrum .

I agree, this is how they compare if you simplify it. "Overwhelmed" i assume is relative to the TF10. Bass levels should be pretty close to something like the EPH-100 which people have no problem with (X10 has a bit more midbass, 100s have more subbass). I do think it's borderline too bassy, but it's also amazing how people accept much bassier or close to same bass level phones. MDs.FX700s, etc... for example are just muddy now to me, too much a good thing. I really like the X10s rumble, you really do feel that subbass presence, just wish it had a more flatter midbass. It's bass is of fast transients and linearity despite humps (more linear bumps instead of curvy  ones) which results in a more coherent bump whereas most dynamics don't control their air as well. For those X10 users, I highly recommend the newer more tapered Monster Supertips, better isolation and the larger bore opens up the treble.

The X10's score seems highly proper, if anything I think other IEMs that are below it should be higher (HF3/PFE) and certain ones are just too high (MDs/IE8/Coppers). We do have a different definition of what's technically better, but it is fairly close. I sometimes agree and disagree with his ratings as a whole. His sound descriptions should be what gets more attention though and those are spot-on generally. 

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #6,184 of 16,931

Quote:

I agree, this is how they compare if you simplify it. "Overwhelmed" i assume is relative to the TF10. Bass levels should be pretty close to something like the EPH-100 which people have no problem with (X10 has a bit more midbass, 100s have more subbass). I do think it's borderline too bassy, but it's also amazing how people accept much bassier or close to same bass level phones. MDs.FX700s, etc... for example are just muddy now to me, too much a good thing. I really like the X10s rumble, you really do feel that subbass presence, just wish it had a more flatter midbass. It's bass is of fast transients and linearity despite humps (more linear bumps instead of curvy  ones) which results in a more coherent bump whereas most dynamics don't control their air as well. For those X10 users, I highly recommend the newer more tapered Monster Supertips, better isolation and the larger bore opens up the treble.

The X10's score seems highly proper, if anything I think other IEMs that are below it should be higher (HF3/PFE) and certain ones are just too high (MDs/IE8/Coppers). We do have a different definition of what's technically better, but it is fairly close. I sometimes agree and disagree with his ratings as a whole. His sound descriptions should be what gets more attention though and those are spot-on generally. 

I'm definitely not an audiophile so I'm probably not giving a good description. Maybe it is the midbass that bothers me a lot and the fact that I don't like overly bassy headphones.  I do like the X10 a lot more when I EQ the mids/highs up a bit, but the highs still bother me  because the decay? (dont know if this is the right term) seems too short. Also, I'm using sony hybrids with the X10.

I haven't owned most of the IEMs you listed, but from memory I feel that the HF3 was a superior IEM compared to the X10 as well. You're probably right about the sound descriptions though, I just dislike the sound signature of the X10.

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #6,185 of 16,931
You lack the terms, but I can see where you are getting at and you are right. It does seem that the midbass is bothering you. Hybrids do help the midhighs but it still lacks in there and the treble decay/extension isn't great because it's single BA doesn't have the wide bandwidth of the TF10. 

I agree, HF3s are technically superior and can easily understand why you dislike the X10. 

You being new to the hobby, it's hard to find someone that knows what sounds balanced and correct, congrats on being ahead of the curve. 

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #6,186 of 16,931

Quote:
i am looking for a iem to companion my dba-02 which has a warmer sound signature with a wider sound stage but hopefully keeping as much of the clarity. i have been looking at dynamics such as the jvc fxt90, sony ex600 and re262. what do you think? thanks

All three should be good options. The FXT90 has a fairly forward presentation and the EX600 isn't really warm but I don't think you can be disappointed with any of them if your requirements aren't completely rigid.

Quote:
At last the much awaited XBA-4 review, many thanks! I was looking for an upgrade to my ortofon e-Q5s, but it would seem like these are not it...

If I might ask, will there be plans to review the Aurisonics ASG-1/AS-1 at some point in time? These have attained something of an FOTM status and I'm sure many will be interested in a review from yourself.

I should be able to get a loan of the ASG-1 in the future.

Quote:
Those XBA4s sound disappointing, XBA1 looks impressive though. 

Indeed, wouldn't be surprised if it's technically very close to the XBA-4. Being 1/4 the price should help as well.

Quote:

Considering the review I'm surprised sound wise they got such a high score of 9. Sounds like they're an overall mixed bag of pluses and minuses.

Many thanks for the review joker. Right now I'm rather disillusioned with my X10. I personally hate the thin cord and think the overall formfactor although attractive won't stand the test of time. Right now I'm trying to decide whether to reshell them move them along to another home or wait until they bite the dust and then reshell them. i nearly traded them away a few days ago but the other party found another buyer before I could get a final answer to him about the trade.

That's the beauty of including numerical scores - reviews are partly semantics and the same review can be written in a positive or negative tone. I was disappointed with the Sonys from the day I first heard them at CES and I'm sure that shows through in the language. Numbers are honest, however - after some A:B listening I can say that I think the XBA-4 performs better than (for example) the X10 but worse than the GR07, which doesn't leave me any leeway in the scoring. 

Oh and I wouldn't trust the X10 any further than the warranty period. 

Quote:
Thanks for the great reviews as always joker. Been waiting a while for the XBA-4SL and that dampens my curiosity a little .

Though I'm a little surprised that the IMO overly close presentation of the X10 didn't prevent you from giving it a relatively high score. Keep up the good work.

Wouldn't recommend them to someone looking for a spacious presentation, that's for sure!

Quote:
thanks for your review of the xba-4, which was right on time.

I'm in the midst of looking for an iem which excels in the sub bass department in addition to my e-q5.
1. xba-4
2. westone 3
3. miles davis
4. atrios mg7

I was just about to go for the xba-4sl after all the hype about the quad driver but after reading your review, i might be better off with the miles davis after heavy discount : )

Just goes to show that it's not the number of drivers but what you do with them. If you can get the MD at some of these recent ridiculous discount prices, that's definitely the way to go. Otherwise the FX700 is still the king when comes to subbass+overall performance as far as I'm concerned. If isolation matters and you're more concerned with sub-bass than overall performance, the MG7 is also a good buy. The W3 has good bass but it simply doesn't dig as deep as the rest of these.

Quote:
Great reviews again for the X10 and XBA-4! My impressions were pretty similar to yours while trying out the Sonys.

Thanks!

Quote:
AAAH does anyone have any suggestions on where i should get Audeo Phonak PFE 012? liike any other sites that have a price tag of less than $100?? liike the one on Amazon cuz the one on Amazon doesnt shiip to Australia T^T

Soundearphones carries them but I would contact Phonak and ask about Australian distribution.

Quote:

QFT. and I gotta say I'm surprised the X10 scored so high. My impression was that it had inferior detail in both mids & bass compared to the TF10 and the bass overwhelmed the rest of the sound spectrum .

Noone is saying it's a better earphone than the TF10 but it does have a number of positive traits like a well-rounded (albeit intimate) presentation - great next to something like an HF5 or Fischer SBA-03 - as well as good bass depth, speed, etc.

Quote:
@joker

I received my Eterna today and so far I'm liking it, soundstage is really very immersive. treble seems to me lil bit more to me than with the brainwavz M2.

Thank You Joker

Great, glad you like them! 

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #6,187 of 16,931
Oh I'm just saying I'm surprised; nothing against the review at all. I'm sure I don't look at things anywhere as objectively as you do and I'm probably pretty biased due to my sound signature preferences. I mention the TF10 is because its one of the few IEMs I have personally used.

Mar 5, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #6,188 of 16,931
I thought the X10 was garbage(for the price) at first. I know people say BAs don't burn-in, but after being put-off by the sound I just left them plugged into the other headphone jack on my E7 while I listened to something else, then I loaned them to someone who was going on vacation and was packing earbuds for their flight. Then when I got them back two weeks later they sounded like a different earphone and I actually like them now. I'm sure it's just my mind playing tricks on me, though.

Joker, I see you mention the XBA-1 -- have you heard it yet? It's pretty darn good and I'm guessing you'll like it over the X10 for being leaner and brighter. Similar balance to the EX600/1000.

Edit - In reading a little more carefully, I'm guessing you've probably heard it.

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #6,189 of 16,931
Quote:
I'm definitely not an audiophile so I'm probably not giving a good description. Maybe it is the midbass that bothers me a lot and the fact that I don't like overly bassy headphones.  I do like the X10 a lot more when I EQ the mids/highs up a bit, but the highs still bother me  because the decay? (dont know if this is the right term) seems too short. Also, I'm using sony hybrids with the X10.

I haven't owned most of the IEMs you listed, but from memory I feel that the HF3 was a superior IEM compared to the X10 as well. You're probably right about the sound descriptions though, I just dislike the sound signature of the X10.

I concur with your statement. My impression of the x10's wasnt all that great and also thought the HF3 was a league ahead. I'm genuinely surprised the x10s received the score they did.

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #6,190 of 16,931
It seems the FA Silver Bullets got a v2 with improved cabling:

http://www.gd-audiobase.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=11&category_id=4&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

Has anyone tried them?

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #6,192 of 16,931

Quote:
I thought the X10 was garbage(for the price) at first. I know people say BAs don't burn-in, but after being put-off by the sound I just left them plugged into the other headphone jack on my E7 while I listened to something else, then I loaned them to someone who was going on vacation and was packing earbuds for their flight. Then when I got them back two weeks later they sounded like a different earphone and I actually like them now. I'm sure it's just my mind playing tricks on me, though.

Joker, I see you mention the XBA-1 -- have you heard it yet? It's pretty darn good and I'm guessing you'll like it over the X10 for being leaner and brighter. Similar balance to the EX600/1000.

Edit - In reading a little more carefully, I'm guessing you've probably heard it.

I originally heard both the XBA-1 and XBA-4 at a show and the XBA-1 was the one that caught my interest. I thought a longer trial with the XBA-4 would change that but I'm still way more interested in the 1. 

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #6,194 of 16,931
Joker,
I'm deciding on which to buy, the SoundMagic E30 and PL50, how do they compare to each other?

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #6,195 of 16,931
Jumping in with another recommendation request...

Hi Joker,
I'm looking for a full-size or portable equivalent to the HiFiMAN RE-262. There was a lack of recommendations in all 4 places I asked this and I'm fairly certain the advice I did get was 2nd hand or inferred from reading others' reviews. Could you recommend something? Keep in mind I'll (likely) be able to try before I buy!

Budget: $100-$500 (maybe used?)
Use: office cubicle -- closed preferred but could be open if small (ala Koss PortaPro). I'm mostly concerned with sound leak, not isolation.
From mvw2's 262 review, key attributes for me:
- detailed
- great clarity / transparency
- mid-centric
- non-fatiguing, sweet treble
- highly dynamic

I would like to make this an upgrade more than a side-grade, although I get the impression that the 262 is very unique IEM and in some areas, it is the best at what it does. Being a portable / full-size newbie, I really need your help in narrowing down my search. Even a brand recommendation would help a lot! From the RE-262's sound, I could stand to have a touch more bass quantity, and a tiny bit brighter presentation overall (trade a tiny amount of mids for highs?).

I was recommended the HE-300 (open) and the ESW9 in other threads. I was also going to revisit the HD598 which I liked for the 10 minutes I listened to it... it certainly didn't have a huge impact on me... Sennheisers generally don't.

Help please? :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back