Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Feb 21, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #6,046 of 16,931
Joker,
I was wondering, what's the most analytical (true to the source) IEM for under 50$?

How bout the Etymotic MC5? It seems you're not very fond of them in your review, albeit giving them a (9/10) value...
I'm asking because I can get an Etymotic MC5 for around 60$ now...
I was thinking of getting the ECCI PR401, but I just bought a Visang R03, so I was thinking of getting a more analytical IEM, what do you think about this?

Feb 21, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #6,048 of 16,931

Quote:
thanks ljokerl for the very straight and clear advice!!

Isolation is not my n°1consideration, but as I will use them (almost) only on public transport, it is an important factor I should balance out with comfort (I'm not used to IEM's...), SQ and build quality (as it is for travelling:light-weight & compact, taking it everywhere).

I was wondering, as I often read about the 'Shure olive'-tips to be the most comfortable with good isolation, also on other headphones, if these can be used on the RE262 and if this would make a difference (better) comfort-wise and on sound-isolation?

I've also read in your review that the RE262 does take considerable advantage from an dedicated amp. As I will use it mainly with my Sansa Fuze (and sometimes with my laptop), I was wondering how far to go amp-wise, reaching from the Fiio E6 through the iBasso D-zero or T5 onto the Fiio E17. Of course, I have to decide between amp and DAC+amp, but was wondering if any of those would fit the bill and make a considerable difference with my Sansa Fuze. Do you have any advice on that?

...so far, RE262 takes the leap for me (especially because of what I read about its presentation/soundstage/space), followed by the Westone 1 and then Shure se215. If I can get over my comfort and build quality worries about the RE262 (I might be wrong on this...), it's gonna be the re262.
I'm getting closer! 
smile.gif
Thanks!!

You would have to de-core the Olive and mount it on a different tip stem. I would recommend trying the stock tips first before deciding if you need to bother with aftermarket ones. I am not familiar with the modern crop of amps - don't have the time to look into them. You would probably want to go beyond the E6 but you may want to ask current RE262 owners about their experience.

Quote:
So for under 200 and for rock,pop,punk rock and drum and bass you would recommend the FXT90? The review looks good too.
biggrin.gif
and what tips would you recommend for the M6? Cause I am currently using the given tips.... Are the give tips suppose to be good?

The FXT90 is as good a choice as any IMO, as long the signature appeals to you.

The M6 I liked with Sony Hybrids, Comply T500s, de-cored Olives, and also stock triple-flanges with the smallest flange cut off. The stock tips are mostly fine but the singles didn't seal as well as Hybrids for me. My M6 is from before they included the A151 bi-flanges.

Quote:
Any intention to review the Xears TD4? I have them and really like them. According to others who have owned the TD-III and TD4, the sound is different due to the thicker cable (which reduces the amount of air that is vented through the strain reliefs.

No plans at this time. Everything I plan to review is listed on the front page of this thread, below the table.

Quote:
Joker,
I was wondering, what's the most analytical (true to the source) IEM for under 50$?

How bout the Etymotic MC5? It seems you're not very fond of them in your review, albeit giving them a (9/10) value...
I'm asking because I can get an Etymotic MC5 for around 60$ now...
I was thinking of getting the ECCI PR401, but I just bought a Visang R03, so I was thinking of getting a more analytical IEM, what do you think about this?

I actually thought the new EtyKids sounded quite good, not overly analytical but still very balanced. Another one that comes to mind immediately is the Xears XR120 Pro.

Quote:
Since they are both V shaped, how does the W3 compare with FX700?  Which one is the better sounding phone?  

Despite some similarities in signature, one is a armature and one is dynamic so they sound pretty different on the whole - note thickness, tone, timbre, etc. IMO the FX700 is the better-sounding phone. 

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #6,049 of 16,931
Joker have you heard about the Aurisonics ASG-1? It already has quite a few votes as one of the best universals out there, drawing comparisons to top tier phones like FX700 and SM3, even garnering comparison to the 1964-Q customs.

I've compiled a list of reviews here if you're interested:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/589520/aurisonics-impressions-and-reviews/795#post_8166473

The hype train is soon to be in full swing, I'm sure, but from the looks of it, the train may actually be headed somewhere...

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #6,052 of 16,931

Quote:

You would have to de-core the Olive and mount it on a different tip stem. I would recommend trying the stock tips first before deciding if you need to bother with aftermarket ones. I am not familiar with the modern crop of amps - don't have the time to look into them. You would probably want to go beyond the E6 but you may want to ask current RE262 owners about their experience.

The FXT90 is as good a choice as any IMO, as long the signature appeals to you.

The M6 I liked with Sony Hybrids, Comply T500s, de-cored Olives, and also stock triple-flanges with the smallest flange cut off. The stock tips are mostly fine but the singles didn't seal as well as Hybrids for me. My M6 is from before they included the A151 bi-flanges.

No plans at this time. Everything I plan to review is listed on the front page of this thread, below the table.

I actually thought the new EtyKids sounded quite good, not overly analytical but still very balanced. Another one that comes to mind immediately is the Xears XR120 Pro.

Despite some similarities in signature, one is a armature and one is dynamic so they sound pretty different on the whole - note thickness, tone, timbre, etc. IMO the FX700 is the better-sounding phone. 

Thanks IjolerI

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #6,053 of 16,931

Quote:

Did my eyes just fail me? The EtyKids has 300 Ohm Impendance? How hard will it be to drive?

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #6,054 of 16,931
How would you compare the sound of the Atrios to the FX700s? I just bought the MG7s, and I really love the bass on them. Compared to my ER4s though, they lack a certain realism in vocals and some instruments. I already know that the FX700s are renowned in their timbre, so I'm wondering how the bass stacks up to the Atrios. Do they have the same impact and depth?

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #6,055 of 16,931
Or is there a one that is slightly above 200 and is better than the FXT-90

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #6,057 of 16,931

Quote:
Quote:

Did my eyes just fail me? The EtyKids has 300 Ohm Impendance? How hard will it be to drive?

That's the point, so it won't go above ~92 dB SPL with a Clip+, which Etymotic thinks is loud enough with proper isolation, and I agree.
The intresting thing is Golden Ears measured 187 ohms instead. (that's 2dB more, so doesn't really matter)

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #6,058 of 16,931

Quote:
Whoops! My bad. I wonder if he e-mailed Aurisonics directly or Matt at Springtree?

Aurisonics

Quote:

Well, it's one of the two simple ways to limit the output volume with portable devices. UE took a different route with their 'loud enough' line, keeping standard impedance but dropping the sensitivity down to 80dB or so. I like Ety's approach better. They actually went plenty loud with my J3 but not so much that kids could blow their ears. There are also more complicated spl reduction methods such as the circuit used by dB Logic on the EP-100 and HP-100. 

Quote:
How would you compare the sound of the Atrios to the FX700s? I just bought the MG7s, and I really love the bass on them. Compared to my ER4s though, they lack a certain realism in vocals and some instruments. I already know that the FX700s are renowned in their timbre, so I'm wondering how the bass stacks up to the Atrios. Do they have the same impact and depth?

The Atrios are have mostly deep bass while the FX700 strikes a nice balance between deep bass and mid-bass. Mid-bass impact is actually greater in the FX700. Both have great depth but the Atrio will appear to have more sub-bass because only the sub-bass is really emphasized.

Quote:
Or is there a one that is slightly above 200 and is better than the FXT-90

I feel like you're sort of shooting blindly here. Trying to pick a higher-end IEM straight from the budget stuff is always tricky. The FXT90 is a pretty safe choice, for a significant upgrade you'd be shelling out $350 on an FX700 or something to that effect.

Quote:
ljokerl is there a IEM that would be very similar to the ATH-ESW9?  I can do up to tier 1B.  Thanks!

None that I know of. What are the things you like about the ESW9?

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #6,059 of 16,931

Quote:
None that I know of. What are the things you like about the ESW9?

I really enjoy their warm, tube like lush mids, bass is good and I like their slightly rolled off top end, it makes sibilance a non-issue.  Predominantly I use them for female vocals, Diana Krall, Eva Cassidy, Norah Jones, etc... IMHO, it's what they do best as colored as they are.  I have the ES7 and my IEMS for "fun" genres.  Just looking for a "soothing" IEM.  My IE8s with silicone custom ear molds come close but the silicone has shrank over time and no longer fits as well as it should.  IE8s with silicone tips are not cutting it otherwise.  I have a pair of MDR-EX600s running through a burn in playlist and with Complys on, they might be close but they are also a similar sound signature to the IE8 so I'm not sure if I will keep them.

Maybe the RE262 or MD Tributes?

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #6,060 of 16,931
It's a pleasure read this thread, seeing @Ijokerl replying day after day constructively to everyone without discrimination.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back